Does Propane go bad?

/ Does Propane go bad? #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I have a 100 pound tank that I inherited with my property 4 years ago. No idea how long it had been sitting there before I bought the place. It has maybe 40 pounds of propane in it. My gut tells me that I am good to use it, but my question is... Does propane go bad? Discuss!

/ Does Propane go bad? #3  
The propane should be just fine. Propane can last years. But do a visual on the tank to insure no rust and good integrity of the tanks valve.

/ Does Propane go bad?
Thanks y'all! Yeah tank looks fine, but I will inspect bottom closer to make sure.

/ Does Propane go bad? #6  
How old is the tank? If you inherited it the tank may be many years old.

/ Does Propane go bad?
It can't be that old, because it is in pretty decent shape. I've had it 4 years and quickly got it out of the weather.

/ Does Propane go bad? #8  
It can't be that old, because it is in pretty decent shape. I've had it 4 years and quickly got it out of the weather.
Wish I could say the same, I have two 100 pounders on my property left by the former owner. Might have to hike up there and take a gander at them. ;-)

/ Does Propane go bad? #9  
If you are a fuel seller then yes it goes bad..and you need to buy a new tank every 10 years.

/ Does Propane go bad? #10  
If you are a fuel seller then yes it goes bad..and you need to buy a new tank every 10 years.
You can also get the tank recertified. Most folks just don't bother and just buy a replacement at a higher cost than recertification.