Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
I can 'do it' and have admitted so in a couple of threads here on TBN, most recently in the septic tank thread. There appears to be some off-shoot interest in the subject so I reckoned I'd start a thread about it [did a thread search and nothing about this showed up].

I use 2x 18" copper rods, loosely held parallel to the ground. My elbows are in close to my body. I then clear my mind, relax, think about flowing water and then slowly walk along.

For me, there's nothing mystical... it just 'happens' and the rods cross, sometimes tapping my chest.

So, what have you got to say?

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #2  
Nothing magic here. This is how I determined the path of my water lines. I've also seen water department employees using copper rods to find lines along roadways.

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #3  
Being a plumber by trade and having a father that was also a plumber; I can tell you it's a crap shoot. My dad would swear by the witching sticks. I must have bad vibes; could never get them to work for me. But, to each his own.

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #4  
I am a believer even though I have absolutely no ability. I have a brother-in-law and had a grand-father who were very good at it. It makes no sense scientifically but then I don't always agree with science so were even I guess!

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #5  
I was able to locate a 2" poly waterline buried 5 feet deep with witching wands. I even did it blindfoldeD while wife marked spot with paint.

Dug down 5' and dang if i wasnt 100% dead on.

Its scairy weird

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #6  
I use 2 brass filler rods. They work great. I was in the construction business and used them to find water, electric, and waste lines.
Dave

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #7  
I never had any luck using copper rods, but can use willow branches. Nothing like having a forked willow turn 360 degrees in your hands as you come up to and then pass a spot. What is even better is having somebody that can't do it, and hand them the willow and then put my hands on their shoulders and watch it rotate in their hands, and then remove my hands and it will no longer work for them.

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #8  
I located my water line using coat hangers I cut and bent. Wife did not believe it till she tried it. Also worked for the underground electrical line going to the pad transformer.

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #9  
I never had any luck using copper rods, but can use willow branches. Nothing like having a forked willow turn 360 degrees in your hands as you come up to and then pass a spot. What is even better is having somebody that can't do it, and hand them the willow and then put my hands on their shoulders and watch it rotate in their hands, and then remove my hands and it will no longer work for them.
When I was a kid a well driller used a forked willow branch to locate "veins" of water at my grandmothers house. I expressed my doubts so he handed the stick to me, gave me some brief instructions and darn if it didn't work for me! No matter how hard I squeezed it, it pointed down to the same spots that he had located earlier. It didn't work at all for my brother! Go figure.

/ Dowsing, Devining, 'Witching' for Water #10  

I find it very intriguing to hear that it works for some people and not others. Now, reading that you can affect the other person's results, that makes we wonder even more. There is a well known older gentlemen in our community who can do this. He is 100% correct every time. It's amazing and he has been very helpful in locating places to drill for water wells.