Dozer Demo

/ Dozer Demo #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
Got to try out a new Cat D5K and Deere 650J today.

Both machines are right around 23k pounds and 100hp give or take.

Here is the Cat
Dozer Demo 009.jpg

Here is the Deere
Dozer Demo 014.jpg

I felt like the Deere was a better machine. Hoses were protected better on the Deere, Visibility was better also, especially to the rear. The Cat had an option for an automatic blade shaker that I thought was worthless or unneeded.

Don't get me wrong, they are both very nice machines compared to my current dozer. I feel like money better spent would be on the John Deere.

/ Dozer Demo #2  
Is the Cat a forest service dozer? I thought I could see a ranger beside it. One thing about the government machines is that no expense is spared on maintenance. Mind sharing the price ranges and hours of the tractors? They both look like they have many hours left.

MarkV

/ Dozer Demo #3  
Besides the obvious, sweeps and window guards, the cat looks to have a taller blade. Is the cat accugrade ready? If it is and you do any site work, gps guided machines are incredible.

/ Dozer Demo
The Cat has the forestry package on it designed by Cat. Usually the Deeres are outfitted with the forestry package by G.R. Manufacturing. However, an outfitted Deere was not available for the demo so a normal dozer was used. The demo was more about the Cat anyway. The Deere was mostly on site for comparison purposes. Either way Wildfire Suppression would be the primary job function, regardless of brand name. The Cat had a lot more bells and whistles on it that were really not needed for its intended vocation.

As far as price goes, I don't have a clue. It will be bid out by the companies and the lowest price wins.

/ Dozer Demo #5  
You are correct about the hoses on the Cat. Mud and debris sticking to the tracks will rip the hoses off of the dozer. How could the engineers at Cat not know this?:confused2:

Four hoses on each side, total of eight that will need to be replaced again and again.

I wouldn't want to be changing a hose in a forest fire.

/ Dozer Demo #6  
I spent 5 60 hour weeks on a D5K. I was sorely dissapointed with it. I bleed Cat yellow and till wasnt happy. We run an old D5B at the landfill. I did like the blade shaker for getting shed of clay mud. While the B was down we called Cat and they didnt have a trackloader or straight blade dozer for Demo. The salesman ent out a 5K.

I didnt like the rigid frame I mean it was good on Finishing the cover material but the slightest chunk it rocked the snot out of me.

It aver heated pushing in a slot. I know its a finishing dozer but I still expect it to push a decent blade.

THe stock air filter is a joke. We asked for a machine with a good precleaner as it was in a landfill. THey said it would be more than adequet, They were wrong about avery 10 minutes I was either blowing it or the radiator out. I ve run my brother D 39 P Komatsu and it seemed to be a more comfortable machine at first.

The 5K had a neat feature with the speed recall and programing on the direction control. Took me a week to figure it out from the manual I found.

I did find out how to make the air filter last longer I went to Dollar general and bought a pair of pantyhose to wrap the air filter in. I got some weird looks on that one lol.

I did love the AC cab and wipers and the horn lol. WHen the old machine was up and running again to settle a bet with the salesman that swore the K had more HP and torque than the old 5B. We nosed them together and I pushed that puny thing backwards. Its strictly a finishing machine. We were about to buy a new machine but the get it retro fitted with a precleaner, screens and a few other landfill musts was going to add 15 to 20 K to it. They wanted 130 k for it but would take 120 for it plus the refits.

I havent been on the J series Deere much a friend had one rented for me to do a days work and it seemed like a nice machine to.

Both dozers are sharp as heck. THe Cat looked real good but that dont push much.
My brother rented it after us and hes a longtime finish man and e wasnt really impressed with it.

Last edited:
   / Dozer Demo #7  
A 5 would be small in a landfill, usually see a D10 or 11 with the prep package.

/ Dozer Demo #8  
Were a small landfill everything rns in the 15 ton range the compactors and all. We only get 8 to 15 40 yard loads per day. We would like a 9 on ocassion like today though lol

/ Dozer Demo
Taylortractornut that is kind of exactly how I felt about the machine. It is hard to form a good opinion in a short amount of time though. It was good to read what you had to say.

I also didn't like the direction/speed control. I think it would be near impossible to creep up to something in certain situations. I didn't even like the joystick controller. I am somewhat biased towards foot/pedal steer machines and direct drive/power shift machines though.

I am a Cat fan as well, having run a 953C loader for many years. I don't like the D5K though. John Deere is way out ahead in this particular comparison.

/ Dozer Demo #10  
get a 5n .there a great 15 ton machine