Driverless electric tractor

/ Driverless electric tractor #2  
ill tell you what. theres nothing more boring than driving in circles mowing a field. I did it enough when i was younger. now days i hire out a guy that mows and bales my pasture. he keeps the bales. id buy a driverless tractor in a heartbeat if i HAD to do this on my property. but ill bet the cost of this unit is sky high.

/ Driverless electric tractor #3  
Back in 2020, they were claiming 10 hours/charge and a $50k price tag...

Now, $68k for 70HP...

All the best, Peter

/ Driverless electric tractor #4  
Article states targeting vineyards in California so no clue on HP required vs period of time used. I believe another company in California has released an autonomous crop sprayer for orchards. Information not mentioned was recharge time. Maybe they can put wind mills or solar panels in the vineyards and orchards to recharge them.

/ Driverless electric tractor #5  
Kubota is supposed have one out in "23".

SR

/ Driverless electric tractor #6  
Last I'd seen, they had stake trucks with huge batt. packs that they could drive out into the fields to quick charge them.

SR

/ Driverless electric tractor
Last I'd seen, they had stake trucks with huge batt. packs that they could drive out into the fields to quick charge them.

SR
I have never understood why electric cars (and now tractors) do not have an easily replaceable battery pack. I realize there would have to be a standard across all companies..... but just drive into a "gas" station and swap out a battery pack and be back on the road in a few minutes. Then the battery can be recharged while you are driving on to the next station. I realize there is a heck of a lot more logistics in it than that, but it seems logical. Since it seems logical no legislature is ever going to deal with it.

/ Driverless electric tractor
Back in 2020, they were claiming 10 hours/charge and a $50k price tag...

Now, $68k for 70HP...

All the best, Peter
10 hrs seems pretty reasonable. Also if they are fully autonomous they can drive back to the barn, recharge and get back to work. So they can work overnight while I am sleeping.

As for ROI you have to factor in the money you are saving not paying an operator to run the thing. I suspect the actual payback period is on the order of 4 - 5 years.

Not practical for us small operators, but for a big operation not having to worry about your farm hands showing up for work is a good thing.

/ Driverless electric tractor #9  
I have never understood why electric cars (and now tractors) do not have an easily replaceable battery pack. I realize there would have to be a standard across all companies..... but just drive into a "gas" station and swap out a battery pack and be back on the road in a few minutes. Then the battery can be recharged while you are driving on to the next station. I realize there is a heck of a lot more logistics in it than that, but it seems logical. Since it seems logical no legislature is ever going to deal with it.
because batteries can be abused, and a finite life, if i take care of my battery and want to prolong its life, why would i stop somewhere and swap a battery that can be damaged or have a shorter life cycle, especially considering most of them cost 10-20k to replace.

/ Driverless electric tractor #10  
There may be some type of advantage to an electric tractor - ??? But what are the advantages to a driverless tractor. You certainly aren't about to turn it loose, walk away and start some other project. The thing will have to be continuously monitored by somebody. The same somebody who could be driving a standard tractor.

And what about those - wheat, corn, soy beans, etc - with really large fields. Where the tractor will be out of sight and possibly out of range of any form of communication. That's a whole lot more than a lot of trust.