Dry cut chop saw

/ Dry cut chop saw #11  
View attachment 459365

Anybody heard of the Evolution Rage 2 saw?
I bought one online.
Reviews were good everywhere. There are a couple u-tube videos on similar products.
This one could be had cheaper than the equivalent at northern tools.
I was shopping for an abrasive chop saw after borrowing a friends for a couple projects. I like the low rpm and less sparks idea better. All the sparks from an abrasive chop saw had me wondering if i was going to catch my little garage on fire. They show the metal being cool to the touch after a cut.

I have one (sliding miter- not chop saw version) and use it for wood mainly, have cut plastic aluminum and some sheet metal.
Afraid it will wipe the blade out to cut thicker steel, so have been using the HF 14 inch cut off saw or plasma for any thicker material.

It is real handy for fast cuts especially angles.

Last edited:
   / Dry cut chop saw #12  
I have the Rage 3, sliding compound mitre. Cuts metal, plastic and wood. Really like it for metal and wood cutting, hardly ever use my Dewalt anymore, and it was a go to tool for many many years. I have had the Rage for just over 2 years, cutting mostly metal, and the blade is still in good shape. The sliding compound feature makes it a lot more versatile.

/ Dry cut chop saw #13  
If I couldn't cut a bunch of 1/4" steel angel bar with the (Evolution Rage 2 saw) I'd go on a rage.

/ Dry cut chop saw
If I couldn't cut a bunch of 1/4" steel angel bar with the (Evolution Rage 2 saw) I'd go on a rage.
Nice!
I was somewhat turned off by the stupid name, but $100 cheaper than the Northern "ironton" and I'm sold. "Rage" sounds more like a female haircare product.
Also brings back bad memories of sanding bondo on cars for the 3 years I did body work.

Last edited:
   / Dry cut chop saw
1457244664169.jpgYuk!

/ Dry cut chop saw #16  
I just order one. After using a Dewalt chop saw fiber blade that burn out after cutting 10 cut on 1" steel rod.

/ Dry cut chop saw #17  
I've had a Dewalt for 7-8 years and it's a good saw, but the blades are expensive. I just got an evolution blade for it and that works like a new one should (the old blade can probably be sharpened, but is missing a few teeth from cutting too hard of metal. I don't know if the saw shops around here will touch it without fixing what's missing and I'm not sure what that'd cost. New blade was $65 with damaged package from Amazon's warehouse deals.

They're faster than a bandsaw, cleaner than a chopsaw, and more expensive than both of them. Time is money! But the cut doesn't need much dressing (I do get more burr with the Evolution blade than I did with Dewalt's geometry), and it's nowhere near the fire hazard. They all have their place when it comes down to it. Bandsaw blades are creeping up there price wise now, so this is getting more competitive by the year.

I absolutely LOVE my 8" Milwaukee metal cutting circ saw though. That thing is a beast and leaves a razor sharp edge. I'll sell my kid before I sell that saw (he's a teenager now, it's an easy decision! :laughing: ). Still gotta watch out for the chips off it - they'll burn ya too.

/ Dry cut chop saw #18  
I absolutely LOVE my 8" Milwaukee metal cutting circ saw though. That thing is a beast and leaves a razor sharp edge.

Me too. My 8" Milwaukee metal saw is the best thing seance slice bread.

/ Dry cut chop saw #19  
I just order one. After using a Dewalt chop saw fiber blade that burn out after cutting 10 cut on 1" steel rod.
Was the steel rod hardened?

I ruined a metal cutting blade on a sucker rod.

Note, "Mild Steel".

r.JPG

/ Dry cut chop saw #20  
Even A500 puts up a fight on a dry cut saw. I'm pretty sure the structural shapes I cut are why my blades go dull so fast. The 14" Dewalt has been one of my worst purchases for cutting only second to my plasma cutter (too dirty for my needs and extremely expensive for inches cut per consumable using dry air). The plasma and Dewalt both have their places, I just don't like the cost associated with their performance. Speed wise, they're awesome.

I did get better edges out of the Dewalt 66T blades. The evolution blade is the only one which has left a burr out of the three (Milwaukee, Dewalt, Evolution).

This is the Evolution blade I'm talking about btw: Evolution Power Tools 14BLADEST Steel Cutting Saw Blade, 14-Inch x 66-Tooth - Metal Cutting Saw Blades - Amazon.com

All of these were cut in a couple hours with the Dewalt:

20160301_211213-1[1].jpg