E85 Fuel

/ E85 Fuel #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
Does anyone have personal experience with E85 "Flex Fuel"? I did a search which turned up a lot about ethanol production but very little on the subject of engine performance.

I bought gas at Sheetz this morning and noticed E85 (85% ethanol) was around a buck per gallon cheaper than regular E88 unleaded (15% ethanol). E85 has always been cheaper but I've never seen this big a difference before. I suppose it makes sense since the price of ethanol doesn't necessarily keep pace with the price of oil.
My 2012 GMC pickup burns E85 Flex Fuel. I kept careful mileage records and found it almost a wash as to which fuel was more economical. I used the E85 mostly because it was the "green" thing to do or so I thought, but I didn't care for the loss of mileage & performance.

I don't want to start an endless debate on the environmental impact of ethanol. Instead, I'd like to hear from others about how well E85 performs in your equipment. I'm considering a new vehicle and I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying another that uses flex fuel.

/ E85 Fuel #2  
In my area it is about 70 cents cheaper, if you can find it. Regular 87 no lead is $3.29/gal. It has been a while since I tried any and the loss in MPG, 3-4 MPG less, didn't save me much, if anything. At times I it cost me money burning it compared to 87 no lead, depending on the price. Brookshire shopping points can get me as much as $1.00 a gallon discount on 87 no lead. Plus I didn't like the way the vehicle ran.

/ E85 Fuel #3  
Does anyone have personal experience with E85 "Flex Fuel"? I did a search which turned up a lot about ethanol production but very little on the subject of engine performance.

I bought gas at Sheetz this morning and noticed E85 (85% ethanol) was around a buck per gallon cheaper than regular E88 unleaded (15% ethanol). E85 has always been cheaper but I've never seen this big a difference before. I suppose it makes sense since the price of ethanol doesn't necessarily keep pace with the price of oil.
My 2012 GMC pickup burns E85 Flex Fuel. I kept careful mileage records and found it almost a wash as to which fuel was more economical. I used the E85 mostly because it was the "green" thing to do or so I thought, but I didn't care for the loss of mileage & performance.

I don't want to start an endless debate on the environmental impact of ethanol. Instead, I'd like to hear from others about how well E85 performs in your equipment. I'm considering a new vehicle and I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying another that uses flex fuel.
I don't understand your line of questioning as it appears you have answered your own question.

As I understand your post, your cost per mile is a wash between E85 and other fuels with less or no ethanol. You can only decide if performance meets your expectations.

What are you looking for here?

/ E85 Fuel #4  
I use it in one of my vehicles.

E85 shines if you boost and/or raise compression on an engine to make lots of power. Its 100 plus octane. Its way cheaper than race gas.

For regular vehicles not so much since they aren't running high cylinder pressure.

/ E85 Fuel #5  
I use it in one of my vehicles.

E85 shines if you boost and/or raise compression on an engine to make lots of power. Its 100 plus octane. Its way cheaper than race gas.

For regular vehicles not so much since they aren't running high cylinder pressure.
Yup, hot rod tuners love the the stuff.

Loved being in the pits at the local short track and smell the methanol the sprint cars were using!

/ E85 Fuel #6  
I have a flex fuel Silverado. The only difference I note between regular gas and e85 is lower miles per gallon.

/ E85 Fuel
I don't understand your line of questioning as it appears you have answered your own question.

As I understand your post, your cost per mile is a wash between E85 and other fuels with less or no ethanol. You can only decide if performance meets your expectations.

What are you looking for here?
I simply related my experience with E85 in my current vehicle. I'm looking for information on the experience others have had. Just because I've had a negative result doesn't necessarily mean everyone else has. I might do better with E85 in a new vehicle.

/ E85 Fuel #8  
I found based on extensive testing (2 tanks) that the reduction in millage was nearly identical to the lower price. About 20% each. I can't get e85 everywhere, and all things being equal it required refueling more frequently. This was with a '14 f150 coyote.

Best,

ed

/ E85 Fuel #9  
Our local road commission orders flex-fuel models to get the upgrades like stainless fuel lines,etc.
Michigan northern rust corridor.

/ E85 Fuel #10  

First, there's no such thing as E88. There's Unleaded 88, which is E15, which contains up to 15% ethanol. E85 contains 85% ethanol.

Second, while there is a loss of mileage, there's no loss of performance on E85.

E85 has a much higher octane rating than premium pump gas, which is 94. E85 is well above 100. This allows it to be run in very high compression engines without causing pre ignition issues.