Grapple EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple
From what I heard back from Travis, the design has NOT been changed. Seems like there should be a much better design option available there.

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #72  
From what I heard back from Travis, the design has NOT been changed. Seems like there should be a much better design option available there.

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just swap that cylinder for a cylinder with a solid end sleeve. It would save the trouble of having to make the spacer and the added hassle of assembling with o rings as well.

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #73  
Might be a good idea for Travis to respond to this concern of a potential buyers.

Personally I haven't had an issue with my wicked grapple I bought 4 yrs ago from EA.

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #74  
I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just swap that cylinder for a cylinder with a solid end sleeve. It would save the trouble of having to make the spacer and the added hassle of assembling with o rings as well.
💰💰

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #75  
I reached out to Travis via email about this (who was great to work with during the decision making process, by the way). He wrote that the grease will get to where it needs to get, or something like that. As it is, the grease just makes a mess between the pipe section and the cylinder clevis.
O-Rings and a rotating collar with a grease nipple 😂😂

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #76  
The design in that area has been the same since the beginning, on the 60 and 66, and the first 66 we made, which has been totally abused by our 141hp Kubota, still lives on that tractor today(took this pic last week), with zero wear issues there. Actually, it went a few years with no grease there, and does not have 0 rings, which aren't really necessary, IMO. If something is gonna wear, it'll be the bolt, which is very easy to replace, even though, with thousands in the field, I've never heard of anyone needing to.

Bottom line: From the outside looking in, everything can be nit picked. If something needs to be changed, we have, and will change it. This Wickedness is Amazing, and thousands of reviews from very proud owners solidifies that claim. It is the absolute best, in numerous regards.
Travis

20230913_075811s.jpg

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #77  
If something is gonna wear, it'll be the bolt, which is very easy to replace
I was and am thinking the same thing.

The grapple works really well for me. I am not worried about it. As I said earlier, I will live with it and deal with it...if it ever needs dealt with in my lifetime.

Doug

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #78  
I was and am thinking the same thing.

The grapple works really well for me. I am not worried about it. As I said earlier, I will live with it and deal with it...if it ever needs dealt with in my lifetime.

Doug

Glad ya like it, man. Yeah, if Ted has taken out massive trees with that thing, which doesn't even have the Wickederrr improvements, with zero bends or signs of wear, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about!
Travis

Here's one of those fun(and kinda scary) moments..
Four years ago, btw..

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple
IMHO, the design, from a machining standpoint, just looks sloppy to me. I have done a little bit of machine work, and I would never have been satisfied with that handiwork had it been a product of my own hand. Why isn't that collar that has the grease fitting on it just made wider to completely fill the gap between those two arms? Heck, for that matter, why isn't it one piece from arm to arm? And certainly it could be made to closer tolerances on the bolt. At worst, put tight fitting field replaceable teflon spacers in there so grease would more easily flow horizontally to the sides to where it is needed.

Just my opinion, of course. I don't know what design compromises had to be made for the designers to choose this particular design. But obviously awkward compromises were made.

And being 73 years old, I doubt I will outlast the grapple, so for me it will likely be a non-issue, and I doubt I will cancel my order. And with the ETA being "4ish" months out, perhaps someone will take a harder look at that design and come up with a better solution before my number comes up for shipping. But honestly were I half my age, well, I have to say it would definitely be a mark against buying such a grapple knowing of this design issue. Having a bolt failure at that critical location could cascade into other damages taking place. I believe most people spend the kind of money being asked for these things with the expectation that they will likely last and be useful the rest of their lives without needing repairs or a replacement.

IMHO.

/ EA Everything Attachments WICKED 55 Root Rake Grapple #80  
Just my opinion, of course. I don't know what design compromises had to be made for the designers to choose this particular design.
IMO, the design is simply “I couldn’t hold my beer while doing this” and “let’s see if we can break it”
As long as people are willing to hand over money for extended amounts of time.....they got a good thing going.