EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #31  
Yes, a tiny triangular gusset and no side bracing. I'm not saying that would be totally necessary for general use with a 40hp and under tractor(which is what theirs is rated for), but we all like a little extra don't we?
A unit with back and side braces would withstand more punishment and be more likely to survive a side impact from a blunt object.

Regarding the cutting edges, wouldn't flipping the blade and having a brand new edge be better than moving down a worn out edge?

I'm not saying that the other wouldn't get the job done, but i think they're far more than a couple hundred dollars of extra value packed into ours.
Travis

As far as the side-side bracing, all I can say is that neither of mine have it, I am pretty sure that no one else on TBN uses their LPGS behind a 12,000lb tractor, moves as much dirt as I have. I can move over 3 cubic yards at a time when the conditions (moisture content) are right. If you take a side hit that would damage the mast, you have major 3pt damage before that ever happens, wouldn't you?

As far as the reversible cutting edges, yes it is probably better to be able to turn the blade over and have a nice new cutting edge. My reason for bringing it up is that so many people see or hear (non reversible edge) and think that they only get that 1"-1 1/2" of wear when there is a very good chance that they get double that. ;)

Attachments

• PB180011.JPG
    PB180011.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 126
  • P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 130
   / EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #32  
It does look like a butter knife would cut/move that soil though. :laughing:

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #33  
If the photos on their website are accurate, it doesn't look like the grademaster's cutting edges are reversible.
Hitches are way different...no back braces and nothing for side stability.
No other specs are given, so it's very hard to even compare.
Travis

Duly noted. Also, how many cutting edges am I going to go through? I envisioned zero, like on my back blade.

BTW, there is a Fed Ex freight terminal on Hanthorn St. in Cadillac that we can ship to for free.

Mmmmmmmmm, good to know. If I had to, I could drive that 5 miles on my tractor.... :thumbsup:

The extra couple hundred dollars over the lifetime of a better, longer lasting product is money well spent. :thumbsup:

I certainly agree. I've spent $200 on far less. That said, IS it better? Does it make a darn bit of difference? The grademaster guy could probably come on here and talk about how/why his is good/better. I could pay another $200 for better paint, but would it matter? I guess my point is that you can $200 your way to broke (or get a tractor:cool:). Obviously that's why there are so many choices, because everyone values different things. I could probably buy a king kutter (that EA also sells :p) and be fine for the rest of my days. When the day comes, we'll see what happens. Sure would like that day to be TODAY though. Man I want one of these things.

On a separate note, I'm in the "dunes" of Michigan. 100% sand......everywhere. At first I didn't think I needed scarfiers. Then I thought I did. Now I'm back to thinking that I don't. Very few people that have LPGSs on here have scarfiers, and they all are happy with their LPGSs. Thoughts?

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #34  
On a separate note, I'm in the "dunes" of Michigan. 100% sand......everywhere. At first I didn't think I needed scarfiers. Then I thought I did. Now I'm back to thinking that I don't. Very few people that have LPGSs on here have scarfiers, and they all are happy with their LPGSs. Thoughts?

For the difference in price, it's better to have them and only need them once than not have them at all. You can't build a LPGS too heavy (within reason). Scarifiers and the extra steel adds more weight, and that's a good thing.

Edit: I'll add that when spreading gravel with a high ratio of rock to fines, dropping the scarifiers down to just above the skid height helps mix the material better. It works for breaking up dirt clods as well.

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #35  
It does look like a butter knife would cut/move that soil though. :laughing:

Looks can be deceiving. A lot of this ground is decomposed granite. It can ( not that it is always or even most of the time) be so hard that water will evaporate faster than it can soak in. :eek:

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #36  
Looks can be deceiving. A lot of this ground is decomposed granite. It can ( not that it is always or even most of the time) be so hard that water will evaporate faster than it can soak in. :eek:

I hear you on that one. When I lived in Acton, I used to use tree rings to hold in a bit of water to help soften the ground so I could dig a hole. Fill up the rings, go to lunch, and hope for the best when I returned. It worked...sometimes. :laughing:

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #37  
I hear you on that one. When I lived in Acton, I used to use tree rings to hold in a bit of water to help soften the ground so I could dig a hole. Fill up the rings, go to lunch, and hope for the best when I returned. It worked...sometimes. :laughing:

I found out when I first was trying to dig 18" holes with my PHD before I got the down pressure kit. Get down about a foot and that was it. Dump 5 gallons of water in and it would not disappear all day long. :eek: Being a weekender, I need to get stuff done when I need it done, not hours or days later. You tend to look at things differently when you have a time frame to work with. Whole different set of circumstances when you say, "I'll get to it tomorrow or the next day". Some of us don't have that opportunity. :(

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #38  
I looked at the pictures of the Grade Master Unit, heavy duty, but my main thought of aggravation would be the lower two hitch points. HD at first look but there is no attachment from the front cross support to the second cross support, there should be an attaching bar to spread the pulling stress.

Thks for the info, good looking product but I am still looking to Pally's to supply me with a 60" Land Pride Unit and you for the hydraulics.

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #39  
I looked at the pictures of the Grade Master Unit, heavy duty, but my main thought of aggravation would be the lower two hitch points. HD at first look but there is no attachment from the front cross support to the second cross support, there should be an attaching bar to spread the pulling stress.

Thks for the info, good looking product but I am still looking to Pally's to supply me with a 60" Land Pride Unit and you for the hydraulics.

??????:confused:

I have 1 brace and I doubt that it does all that much, although every little bit helps. The GradeMaster looks to have a tube in there to me. When things are built with 3/8" & 1/2" steel, not as much support-bracing is required. As far as the hitch points, those look to be about 14" off the ground. Where do you think that they need to be for your tractor?

If you are willing to wait, you should be able to get the LP unit without any shipping charges, although those guys will sure try to get them from you.

Just my :2cents:

Attachments

• P4260026.JPG
    P4260026.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 125
  • lpgs.jpg
    lpgs.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 126
   / EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #40  
Hey MtnViewRanch. Been a long time. Hope all is well with you.

Been looking at these land levelers for sometime now.

I see many manufactures are making them. DoMor makes one with the blades that are adjustable from angle to straight. Have you see that one? I have asked around, and have not really gotten a good answer as to when or how that option would be beneficial.

I have emailed Rich at ETA. Nice guy, and I really think these guys research and build a fine product.

For me I don't think the ripper shanks would be that helpful. I have them on my Gannon roll over box blade if needed. But as I see it, for drive ways, they would pull up the larger base rock that I don't want pulled to the surface.

Just my thoughts and observations. Will probably make my purchase in the next week or so.