EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #41  
??????:confused:

I have 1 brace and I doubt that it does all that much, although every little bit helps. The GradeMaster looks to have a tube in there to me. When things are built with 3/8" & 1/2" steel, not as much support-bracing is required. As far as the hitch points, those look to be about 14" off the ground. Where do you think that they need to be for your tractor?

If you are willing to wait, you should be able to get the LP unit without any shipping charges, although those guys will sure try to get them from you.

Just my :2cents:

The lower link points do not have supporting connections to the rearward cross bar, that is all I am saying.
I would think thick enough steel would work but I like the idea of the extra bracing.

Your picture shows that little piece of steel for the upper connection but the lower connections have no extra bracing.

image.jpg

The LP Unit have the extra bracing for the lower pins that extends rearward to the second cross bar; I like that idea.

image.jpg

It is just something I have in my head that allows better distribution of the pulling effort. Is it any better, I don't know for sure, just something I like.

Ltr

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #42  
I don't think you need the extra strength extending from the lower pins to the rear crossbar for pulling but they are very important to reduce twisting of the frame when viewed from the side. I am not an engineer but I do know that the frame on a plane needs to eliminate the twisting or flexing where one side runner might want to climb over a mound while the other side follows the ground. In order for a land plane to work its best the frame work needs to be very rigid.

Having the cross tubes and support frames align with the hitch mountings provides the distribution of pulling forces and helps reduce the frame twisting and flexing.

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #43  
I think what will be found is that the units with all the bracing are units that are built with smaller thinner material. I know that my LPGSers have very little bracing, are as rigid and heavier than most anything currently available.

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #44  
The lower link points do not have supporting connections to the rearward cross bar, that is all I am saying.
I would think thick enough steel would work but I like the idea of the extra bracing.

Your picture shows that little piece of steel for the upper connection but the lower connections have no extra bracing.

View attachment 423500

The LP Unit have the extra bracing for the lower pins that extends rearward to the second cross bar; I like that idea.

View attachment 423501

It is just something I have in my head that allows better distribution of the pulling effort. Is it any better, I don't know for sure, just something I like.

Ltr

Look at the size of the tubing, not much comparison in strength there. I believe that back when this front to back bracing thing came into this thread, while the picture that was posted did not have that bracing, the poster was talking about a wider than 5' unit and the wider units do have that bracing between the 2 cross supports.

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #45  
Hey MtnViewRanch. Been a long time. Hope all is well with you.

Been looking at these land levelers for sometime now.

I see many manufactures are making them. DoMor makes one with the blades that are adjustable from angle to straight. Have you see that one? I have asked around, and have not really gotten a good answer as to when or how that option would be beneficial.

I have emailed Rich at ETA. Nice guy, and I really think these guys research and build a fine product.

For me I don't think the ripper shanks would be that helpful. I have them on my Gannon roll over box blade if needed. But as I see it, for drive ways, they would pull up the larger base rock that I don't want pulled to the surface.

Just my thoughts and observations. Will probably make my purchase in the next week or so.

I am busy busy busy. As far as these LPGS, get one that is at a minimum of 1000lbs and the longer the sides, the better it will work for you. I agree with you, rippers are not required and we have implements to take care or it if they were ever to be needed to do a repair.

Keep us informed as to what unit you get. :cool:

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #46  
Look at the size of the tubing, not much comparison in strength there. I believe that back when this front to back bracing thing came into this thread, while the picture that was posted did not have that bracing, the poster was talking about a wider than 5' unit and the wider units do have that bracing between the 2 cross supports.
If you look, the LP with the extra braces appears to have a piece of 2.5x2.5 or 3x3 angle for the 2nd cross bar vs a piece of 2x4 tube. That could make enough of a difference that the 2nd brace is unneeded.

Aaron Z

/ EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #47  
If you look, the LP with the extra braces appears to have a piece of 2.5x2.5 or 3x3 angle for the 2nd cross bar vs a piece of 2x4 tube. That could make enough of a difference that the 2nd brace is unneeded.

Aaron Z

Best if both front and rear cross brace are made of tubing, very easy to twist angle iron end to end but tubing is difficult to twist. I have 4x4x5/16 front tubing and 4x3x1/4 rear tubing on my plane. If I did it again I would use the 4x4 tubing for both.

Attachments

• shop pad landplane 006.jpg
    shop pad landplane 006.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 74
  • landplane 001.jpg
    landplane 001.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 87
  • landplane 002 triple weights.jpg
    landplane 002 triple weights.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 71
   / EA Land leveler for driveway, comments please #48  
Well, the OP asked about EA's land plane. Most any will do what my homebrew does and then some, but to buy one my vote goes to Everything Attachments with no reservation(s). :thumbsup: (IMO it's the one to copy if one has more time, mtls than $$)

Of course, with PEC or similar it's not much trouble to switch implements, so I use the box blade for ripping and finish with my unnamed prototype 'finisher'. It's not just about the tool, but how well you apply it. tog