Ecoboost question for DP

/ Ecoboost question for DP
Yea I am fully aware that DPF's are a diesel thing, and all of the big three use DEF now as opposed to an extra diesel injector in the exhaust for "regen". THe claim is the mileage numbers are back up because of it, but you are still using some sort of fuel, do DIESEL mileage s back up but factor in the cost of DEF and it mitigates that somewhat. Although DEF usage is not as high as was diesel fuel for regen purposes.

Unburned gas, unburned particulates, it's still making up for incomplete combustion.

/ Ecoboost question for DP #42  
Yea I am fully aware that DPF's are a diesel thing, and all of the big three use DEF now as opposed to an extra diesel injector in the exhaust for "regen". THe claim is the mileage numbers are back up because of it, but you are still using some sort of fuel, do DIESEL mileage s back up but factor in the cost of DEF and it mitigates that somewhat. Although DEF usage is not as high as was diesel fuel for regen purposes.

Unburned gas, unburned particulates, it's still making up for incomplete combustion.

My only experience with DPF is on our company 2014 Dmax trucks. They need a 2.5 gallon jug every 3000 to 4000 miles, but to be fair they idle alot. The other experience is with my neighbors 2012 Power Stroke. His gets 2.5 gallon jug every oil change or about 7500 miles. He also had a Passat diesel and it was about the same usage.

The cost even on the company trucks is negligible at $8 per 2.5 gallon jug. That works out to $ .0027 per mile and on the others it's about $ .0011 per mile.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Ecoboost question for DP #46  
That and they no longer use diesel fuel for this process.

Chris

I wish they didn't but they have to use diesel fuel to burn out the soot in the DPF. During a regeneration, the Powerstroke diesel injects diesel just as the exhaust valve is closing to bring the temp in the DPF up high enough to burn out the soot. Depending on whether I'm towing or not, I can go from about 300 to 500 miles before the truck does a regeneration. Takes about 18 miles to complete. Fuel mileage drops to about 8.5 while it's in regen then jumps back up to 16 when it's finished.

/ Ecoboost question for DP #48  
I wish they didn't but they have to use diesel fuel to burn out the soot in the DPF. During a regeneration, the Powerstroke diesel injects diesel just as the exhaust valve is closing to bring the temp in the DPF up high enough to burn out the soot. Depending on whether I'm towing or not, I can go from about 300 to 500 miles before the truck does a regeneration. Takes about 18 miles to complete. Fuel mileage drops to about 8.5 while it's in regen then jumps back up to 16 when it's finished.

My Chevy Cruze goes 500 - 700 miles before regen in the summer but with snow tires, idling in the morning its dropped down to between 300 and 500 miles. Fuel economy in the winter has gone from 49-51 mpg to 39-41mpg i know the snows made a huge difference versus the low rollers that come on it.
Same story DIC 25 mile average will go from say 46mpg down to 31-33mpg for 20 15-20 miles and slowly go back up.
My wife is driving 110-120 miles a day all highway.

/ Ecoboost question for DP #49  
What winter tires are you using? We have two Cruze TD's, we have Altimax Arctics and Nokians and the difference is pretty small.

/ Ecoboost question for DP
The new diesels do in fact have one additional fuel injector in the exhaust down pipe.
Duramax Diesel Exhaust System Fluid Injectors - GM Techlink

Yea I misstated that, they no longer have a diesel fuel injector, it's for the DEF and yes they do regen, but not with diesel fuel, so it keeps the mileage numbers up.

7500 miles is a long time between DEDF fill ups so that is a bit better than I have heard. DP for your company trucks, excessive idling DOES really cause more frequent regens, from what I have heard. Lower exhaust temps cause more soot build up in the DPF.