Educate me

/ Educate me #41  
Sadly, my only welding 'experience' is running and fetching for welders at my dad's shop when I was a lad. I know you cannot look directly at it without eye protection, and not much else.

I am wondering if it is worth learning a bit about welding (thinking a community college class or 2) so I can someone minor things for myself. In my head, I am thinking I may need to attach hook(s) to my bucket; d-rings or similar to the trailer.

What I would like to know from the community is two-fold. 1) what other things would I likely need to use welding for in my small retirement operation? 2) Do you think it is worth my time to learn at this point?

Thanks,

T
Education is the cheapest thing you can buy(as my dad would say)! And truely it is, because it always pays back, however the equipment needed to do it right is not! You would need a welder, grinders, cutting equipment . . . etc., however much your new hobby demands. Oh, and a place to do that sort of thing, you can't do it your living room. The question is do you enjoy that type of thing? In my time I have built quicktach's for my tractors, trailers - lots of trailers of different types - and a myriad of other things. If you enjoy it like I do the enjoyment is limitless.

/ Educate me #42  
Sadly, my only welding 'experience' is running and fetching for welders at my dad's shop when I was a lad. I know you cannot look directly at it without eye protection, and not much else.

I am wondering if it is worth learning a bit about welding (thinking a community college class or 2) so I can someone minor things for myself. In my head, I am thinking I may need to attach hook(s) to my bucket; d-rings or similar to the trailer.

What I would like to know from the community is two-fold. 1) what other things would I likely need to use welding for in my small retirement operation? 2) Do you think it is worth my time to learn at this point?

Thanks,

T
I know what your saying. I have a mig, my welding holds really good,but they look like a 3 yr old did them in a sand box

/ Educate me
I know what your saying. I have a mig, my welding holds really good,but they look like a 3 yr old did them in a sand box
Haha, I Know that will be the best I can expect. My art skills rival a 3 year old. Function over form is my unofficial motto.

/ Educate me #45  
I'm 68, retired, and made my first weld a couple weeks ago. Ugly looking, but strong. I may have ground off more weld and spatter than I put on! My son and son-in-law, both weld and have the equipment, so I borrowed my son's Hobart 140 MIG welder and some equipment from both of them. Picked up a few items from Harbor and along with some words of wisdom from both of them, did some practice welding on some scrap metal. It took a while, but got progressively better welds before I welded my first broken tool. Still have a long ways to go, and plan to keep practicing and learning. I don't expect to ever be as good as a seasoned professional, but to have the ability to fix things on my equipment (tractors, backhoes, mowers, implements & tools) and maybe fabricate a few simple things to improve efficiency, will check off something that's been on my bucket list for many, many years. I say go for it and never stop learning new skils.

/ Educate me #46  
I think you have heard about everything you need, you must pick apart the pieces of each reply that fits you. Personally I have never learned anything that I didn’t want to take to the pro level, that’s just my way. I don’t like not knowing or trusting others. Self sufficiency is best for me. I do think having a machine at home is good to accelerate your progress. I started in my dad’s shop when I was 10 and when I put that hood on I said I can’t see anything! My dad said you will. With a 14” stick of rod and an old black transformer that wires were open and attached with nuts I struck the arc. That has snow balled into many machines of different types. In 2000 I started my single largest welding project and teaching my 13 year son at the same time. Making pontoons 54’ long in 6’ closed compartments for our houseboat. It took 400 lbs of welding wire when I quit counting.

Attachments

• 2254E61A-3D59-4A50-9491-8E82E0D19B26.jpeg
    2254E61A-3D59-4A50-9491-8E82E0D19B26.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • BA1CC75E-CED2-4DCD-AE65-DEF36674B9D9.jpeg
    BA1CC75E-CED2-4DCD-AE65-DEF36674B9D9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • E843A4C4-12E0-465F-B4C6-4A3DEF08B4A3.jpeg
    E843A4C4-12E0-465F-B4C6-4A3DEF08B4A3.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 84E968C8-578C-4FEC-A47A-8AC00B5E6E34.jpeg
    84E968C8-578C-4FEC-A47A-8AC00B5E6E34.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • BF2869D6-39A0-4FDC-8F27-5D9572D6C4FF.jpeg
    BF2869D6-39A0-4FDC-8F27-5D9572D6C4FF.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 65
   / Educate me #47  
I'm 68, retired, and made my first weld a couple weeks ago. Ugly looking, but strong. I may have ground off more weld and spatter than I put on! My son and son-in-law, both weld and have the equipment, so I borrowed my son's Hobart 140 MIG welder and some equipment from both of them. Picked up a few items from Harbor and along with some words of wisdom from both of them, did some practice welding on some scrap metal. It took a while, but got progressively better welds before I welded my first broken tool. Still have a long ways to go, and plan to keep practicing and learning. I don't expect to ever be as good as a seasoned professional, but to have the ability to fix things on my equipment (tractors, backhoes, mowers, implements & tools) and maybe fabricate a few simple things to improve efficiency, will check off something that's been on my bucket list for many, many years. I say go for it and never stop learning new skils.
I started out building tree stands because I couldn't buy what I wanted. Then a small utility trailer then small implements and repairs. It all happens fairly quickly so you will indeed be a good welder in not too much time.

/ Educate me #48  

Thanks,

T
Never pass up the opportunity to learn something new, especially if it is useful to you or can save you money. I learned to weld in 1966. I took a brush up Tig class at the community college in 2016 and stayed for 4 semesters. I learned a few new skills and taught many many old school ways to the "kids". It was very rewarding in many ways. I now have 4 different welders in the shop that I use for different processes nearly every day from tinkering to building longer rails for my bandsaw mill to repairing a pivot shaft on my D4 dozer.
Do it, learn it, enjoy it. I'll be 71 in a couple months and it's still very rewarding !

Last edited:
   / Educate me #49  

Thanks,

T

Not read entire thread.... I'm not too far from your situation.

For work, I cover various places. One of them is the Technical schools that teach welding, auto, nursing.... so on...

I asked them once about me taking a class or two there. I was told that's totally fine BUT, they would want me to sign a waiver. HuH?

The waiver, is to certify that I am ONLY doing it for personal use, not for a career. As it turns out, they wanted to protect their job placement (after certification) percentages. I totally understand that.

Have not looked into it further as I don't really have the time to devote.

Brother in law brought his portable 110V welder here. I needed to weld a jack stand onto my 15' rotary cutter so I can remove it from tractor without having to use backhoe to hoist it.

It snapped off.

But for a first attempt ever in my life.... AND, it was snagged on some brush that helped levrage the jack... I can deal with the humility.

A larger welder would have given more heat. Half of the circle looked like a very good weld, the other half.... well.... even I could tell it was poorly done. More of a glue on job!

/ Educate me #50  
When I was 12 years old, my Dad was a coal miner but we operated a family garage/gas station on the side. Dad was not a professional, but learned on his own to weld, cut, and blow out holes. Back then (early '70s) all we had was an old NAPA buzz box and small oxygen and gas tanks, nothing fancy like today. Dad had two helmets and made me watch him as he worked. He never used me as a gopher. Always had his rods, etc. close by. He always let me run a short bead or two on whatever he was welding. Dad's gone now since late 2018, but what I've just shared are memories I will never, ever forget. I'd bet money that you have a relative, friend, coworker, or neighbor that could teach you just like my Dad taught me. Classes are okay, but with diesel at $4.50 and time limited, I'd go with learning at home or close by. YouTube's always helpful. Nothing like hands on with a buddy. Best of luck to you and all TBN tractorheads. God bless all and be safe weldin and cuttin.