Eggs are better then cash

/ Eggs are better then cash #31  
I think I would rather have Tony Beets looking for gold for me in the Yukon!
Lots of food available here on the farms in Florida.

Heck fried, it's about time for me to clean out my 3 freezers, in order to fill again, donate it to our VFW.

/ Eggs are better then cash #32  
She got a few calls for eggs last night from some of the teachers she works with. These are our regulars who buy 2 dozen at a time and pay cash, so she'll drop them off today with the others. So far, we're not under any restrictions to travel here in Texas.

With our big trades, we just give them the eggs as they are, but for our regulars, she washes them.

View attachment 646863

Probably most on here are too young to have ever heard of "water glass" (Sodium Silicate) for storing eggs.
In the 40's, when we had little refrigeration space (kerosene refrigerator) we frequently had more eggs than we could use.
We kept the extras in a giant crock filled with "water glass".
We ate only the fresh eggs, but used the stored ones for cooking/baking.
As I recall, we could keep eggs that way for over a year.

Last edited:
   / Eggs are better then cash #33  
Probably most on here are too young to have ever heard of "water glass" (Sodium Silicate) for storing eggs.
In the 40's, when we had little refrigeration space (kerosene refrigerator) we frequently had more eggs than we could use.
We kept the extras in a giant crock filled with "water glass". fan
We ate only the fresh eggs, but used the stored ones for cooking/baking.
As I recall, we could keep eggs that way for well over a year.

Or a ice box as we had ;) Fancy . . . :laughing:

/ Eggs are better then cash #34  
Up here eggs in the supermarket will start at about $1.60 to over $5.50 for the so called organic,
I normally get the jumbo's for about $2.50.
The roadside stands were around $3.50 the last I noticed.

/ Eggs are better then cash #35  
Guvmint cant make any money on this bartering.
How are we gonna bail out the cruise lines without ya hard earned tax dollars.
Wife sells our eggs and I buy the feed, go figure.
I usually give some to the neighbors considering my new rooster is an early riser.
He has started as early as 3:00 am. But most usually between 4:00 and 5:00.

/ Eggs are better then cash #36  
Guvmint cant make any money on this bartering.
How are we gonna bail out the cruise lines without ya hard earned tax dollars.
Wife sells our eggs and I buy the feed, go figure.
I usually give some to the neighbors considering my new rooster is an early riser.
He has started as early as 3:00 am. But most usually between 4:00 and 5:00.

Got a neighbor @ 1/8 mile away who has a new and very prolific crower . . . about 3-3:30 in the am . . . I'm usually getting up by then anyway.

/ Eggs are better then cash #37  
Got a neighbor @ 1/8 mile away who has a new and very prolific crower . . . about 3-3:30 in the am . . . I'm usually getting up by then anyway.

That would get old fairly quick for me. Might have to use the little Ruger 10/22 and "hit" the snooze button.

/ Eggs are better then cash #38  
That would get old fairly quick for me. Might have to use the little Ruger 10/22 and "hit" the snooze button.

Yes Don,
My neighbor up the road has a rooster that lets off a 1:30 - 2:00 AM every morning, Ive almost grabbed my 10-22 a few times!

/ Eggs are better then cash #39  
I guess it's just the difference in where we were raised. There's just no way a crowing rooster would bother me anytime day or night.

/ Eggs are better then cash #40  
I guess it's just the difference in where we were raised. There's just no way a crowing rooster would bother me anytime day or night.

Bird, Im a country boy all the way, however I do like to sleep at 1:30 in the morning!
Im wondering if my neighbors rooster is blind??