ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #11  
Watch and learn...FYI...Sony sold over 18 million Betamaxes....

If I recall, wasn't Betamax actually a superior product, but Sony tried to sit high on a mountain of licensing? Thus the market went to the Phillips(?) VHS format because it was cheaper. Cheaper to license, cheaper to purchase, and inevitably, cheaper picture quality.

I recall reading this a while back and finding it quite interesting, like a precursor to the Mac and PC war of the 90's.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #12  
If I recall, wasn't Betamax actually a superior product, but Sony tried to sit high on a mountain of licensing? Thus the market went to the Phillips(?) VHS format because it was cheaper. Cheaper to license, cheaper to purchase, and inevitably, cheaper picture quality.

I recall reading this a while back and finding it quite interesting, like a precursor to the Mac and PC war of the 90's.
IDK...was not the point of the analogy...but stretched...there are still lots of die hard Beta users/collectors out there...

Just like in a decade or two there will still be short range BEV owners out there (searching for a charge)...

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #13  
I almost hope hydrogen is successful, if for no other reason than I'm sick and tired of being told how ******* great electric cars are.

I like my internal combustion engine, I'd like to keep my internal combustion engine, but the government has an economy to manipulate so our politicians can make money in ways that would be illegal for you and I.
So am I and I have a bad feeling that domestic automakers (especially GM) are barking up the wrong and possibly bankruptcy tree. Of course the government will 'bail' them out, just like they did last time.

I tend to read Gale's constant accolades about his EV's, but rarely comment because after a while, it gets nauseating.

Propane IS successful as an IC fuel and has been for decades, the big issue with hydrogen is the storage. Once the technology advances to the point where it can be made 'on the spot' and burned, that will bury the EV market and hopefully lessen the dependence on the already marginal grid.

Until then, I'll keep on driving my IC conventional fueled engines. Candidly, I don't care what that fuel cost anyway.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #14  
IDK...was not the point of the analogy...but stretched...there are still lots of die hard Beta users/collectors out there...

Just like in a decade or two there will still be short range BEV owners out there (searching for a charge)...

... and not finding it either.

In a way they remind me of the Edsel. It was all the rage when it came out but once the charm wore off, it became a turd.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #15  

Betamax was a technically superior product that died because of poor understanding of the market. I remember when VCRs first came out. People really wanted them to record programs from broadcast TV, often movies. Movies were always edited to fit in a two hour time span. Betamax, in high quality mode, had a maximum record time of 90 minutes while VHS would record two hours.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #16  
Betamax was a technically superior product that died because of poor understanding of the market. I remember when VCRs first came out. People really wanted them to record programs from broadcast TV, often movies. Movies were always edited to fit in a two hour time span. Betamax, in high quality mode, had a maximum record time of 90 minutes while VHS would record two hours.

Price was not similar either and Both were pretty expensive.
Beta being quite a bit more but superior quality picture. Once the balance of which would be the standard was decided then Beta's were cheaper.
I bought 2 of the VHS machines to be able to dub and IIRC even in the mid late 1980's they were over $300+ each.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #18  
You'll never seen hydrogen vehicles produced in large quantities. The current US Gov and most other countries are convinced that electric everything is the answer to save the planet, so that's where they send our money. And manufacturers are always going to follow the money.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #19  
It's not just government policy. Right now, the best ways to produce Hydrogen are from electricity and from fossil fuels. So until there is another process, electric and gas will always be more efficient. As I see it, the Hydrogen concept depends on some magic way to make cheap Hydrogen.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #20  
Hydrogen vehicles are another solution in search of a problem. Like EVs, if they arise spontaneously on the market because of innovation and consumer demand, fine. But these things are being forced on us by useless politicians – most of whom have never in their lives produced anything that people would voluntarily pay their own money for – because of an imaginary crisis that exists only in computer models.