ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #22  
If I recall, wasn't Betamax actually a superior product, but Sony tried to sit high on a mountain of licensing? Thus the market went to the Phillips(?) VHS format because it was cheaper. Cheaper to license, cheaper to purchase, and inevitably, cheaper picture quality.

I recall reading this a while back and finding it quite interesting, like a precursor to the Mac and PC war of the 90's.
VHS was able to get their tapes to longer length than Beta by many hours.
JVC/VHS also worked harder at forming relationships with movie distributors and production companies as they saw the rental market

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR
I see that the hydrogen 18 wheels are being made
and in use. Anything that the gov gets involved with
turns into crap and waste's our tax dollars. Like *****
gave $400 million to isis as a peace offering????
And they keep coming up with their stupid gun laws
however I have never seen a gun law that saved onyone! Forget the gun laws focus on laws that will
take care of the crooks. The da in new york lets crooks
go but look what he is doing now
Horse and buggy days and bicycles will be in use soon???

willy

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #24  
It's not just government policy. Right now, the best ways to produce Hydrogen are from electricity and from fossil fuels. So until there is another process, electric and gas will always be more efficient. As I see it, the Hydrogen concept depends on some magic way to make cheap Hydrogen.
You can say the same thing about EVs. Yet as long as the financial incentive is there somebody will pursue it. It was the same way with gas autos 110 years ago... the difference back then was that entrepreneurs were risking their own money, rather than yours and mine.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #25  
It's not just government policy. Right now, the best ways to produce Hydrogen are from electricity and from fossil fuels. So until there is another process, electric and gas will always be more efficient. As I see it, the Hydrogen concept depends on some magic way to make cheap Hydrogen.
It's not magic...
There are a few different types of hydrogen some types use different methods to filter the hydrogen from seawater...
There is probably as much or more R&D monies being spent on developing more efficient ways to separate hydrogen than there is monies being spent on developing longer range batteries...

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #26  
It's not magic...
There are a few different types of hydrogen some types use different methods to filter the hydrogen from seawater...
There is probably as much or more R&D monies being spent on developing more efficient ways to separate hydrogen than there is monies being spent on developing longer range batteries...

We periodically see reports on advances in hydrogen production, but they are often misinterpreted. There is no accessible source of uncombined hydrogen. Hydrogen is either bound to oxygen in water or to carbon and oxygen in hydrocarbons. If you use water, and burn the hydrogen in a combustion engine, the best you can hope for is recovering about 40% of the energy used to produce the hydrogen. Fuel cells are better, but if you use electricity for electrolysis to produce the hydrogen, the efficiency is always lower than the electric/battery cycle.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #27  
We periodically see reports on advances in hydrogen production, but they are often misinterpreted. There is no accessible source of uncombined hydrogen. Hydrogen is either bound to oxygen in water or to carbon and oxygen in hydrocarbons. If you use water, and burn the hydrogen in a combustion engine, the best you can hope for is recovering about 40% of the energy used to produce the hydrogen. Fuel cells are better, but if you use electricity for electrolysis to produce the hydrogen, the efficiency is always lower than the electric/battery cycle.
Who's "we" and how are "those" reports any different than what is available to those that know where to look and in the forward looking statements in the industry's SEC filings??
You seem to be basing the same stale rhetoric on old or current technology...
I'm surprised you didn't bring up the storage issues...!

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #28  
if you run out of gas (hydrogen) you can always plant your butt on the fill port provided you have extra inside...lol
That’s methane, not pure hydrogen. But methane can also be used as a fuel. So eat more beans.

/ ELON MUSK'S NEW CAR #29  
You can say the same thing about EVs. Yet as long as the financial incentive is there somebody will pursue it. It was the same way with gas autos 110 years ago... the difference back then was that entrepreneurs were risking their own money, rather than yours and mine.
Yes, but once gas autos were established, there has been a long history of federal subsidies for automakers and the petroleum industry.