Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #152  
I'm the same but getting older and hope a little wiser...

Witnessing Shoplifting is hard but reported to security and always told thank you and that was the end.

The grocery stores here violate Fire Code every night by chaining shut all but one set of doors... fire turns a blind eye saying it's that or the stores no longer stay open late.

Seeing groups go down the isle scooping up steaks, pampers, munchies, Tide to the point the cart is overflowing and then head to the door...

It's no joke that retail is voting by shuttering stores and reducing hours...

Gunfire is common somewhere but in the context of 9 million live in the metro area...
The only alternative is to shutter the doors, close the store, and leave THESE people in a desert of no resources. And they wonder why there is no affordable MIXED housing. Birds of a feather flock together... And is the reason certain neighborhoods cost so much; it's to buy your neighbors.

/ Essential Workers? #153  
Haha… that reminds me when i was doing a service call at the local mental hospital. My apprentice was in the suspended tile ceiling replacing a lighting transformer. He opened the wrong transformer box and shorted the transformer that ran the magnetic door lock system. All the door locks unlocked. As he was clearing the smoke out, i went and told the supervisor what happened. They quietly had 2 staff members guard every door while i ran back to the shop and got a new transformer. Took almost an hour, but we got them working again. No crazy the wiser. Could have been a real problem. I should have to,d them to keep my apprentice.

/ Essential Workers? #155  
Like how does one raise a child today under these new “laws”?
In the 10 Commandments we are taught in #8
“You shall not steal”, but you can steal up to $1,000 from a store?

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers?
Don't know if short lived or not but all of a sudden DA and Mayor's are rethinking property crimes and charging organized as multiple felonies even in San Francisco

Also adding street closures with barricades in shopping districts and monitoring media for clues and pro-actively closing freeway off ramps.

The broken window theory comes to mind and it is along the lines if you ignore small infractions they collectively become greater.

By no means is there concenus... these high end thefts are organized and not one individual who is hungry breaking a window plus the organized have high powered cars and guns.

Last edited:
   / Essential Workers? #157  
Places like San Francisco get exactly what they ask for, and when they tire of it they'll do what's necessary to stop it. However, they won't learn from their mistake because to do so would violate all they believe in.

/ Essential Workers? #158  
Places like San Francisco get exactly what they ask for, and when they tire of it they'll do what's necessary to stop it. However, they won't learn from their mistake because to do so would violate all they believe in.
You are really making some sense there PuffyC

/ Essential Workers? #159  
I will say the about 10 years ago, Indiana overhauled it's DMV. It's rare that I now spend more than 10 minutes in there. The service is great, fast, and friendly. Fantastic. Probably a model for all other states.
Well, that sounds too good to be true :) My last trip in 2020 to the local DMV. we waited outdoors (fortunately the weather was good) for around 3 hours. One person at a time let into the locked door, long line. Covid and all you understand. I made friends with a nice lady waiting in line with me. We had the time after all. :) So finally it was my turn in the barrel. I got thru the eye test and the photo's and all of that and then when they went to make the actual license the computers went down. Good times. Hours spent, friends made and frustration level thru the roof.

/ Essential Workers? #160  
The key in my opinion is to never be alone... at least always in earshot...

Some patients try things with female staff they never would try with male staff.

Also... some just have a natural ability to de-escalate which can be learned.

LOL. She was just getting some training on de-escalation today, which was her orientation day.

Status
Not open for further replies.