Everything Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments #2,331  
"Was told by a dealer that shipping now cost between $3.50 to $4 per mile"

Shipping what, hazardous waist? When I retired from truck driving 2 years ago, that was the going rate for Hazardous waist. For basic stuff it was more like $1.75- $2.00 a mile. Cars were going for around $.75/ mile but they were getting between 4 and 9 cars per load.
Luckily with a belt size of 36" I have never had to deal with a "hazardous waist"

/ Everything Attachments #2,332  
Was told by a dealer that shipping now cost between $3.50 to $4 per mile.
In 1952 12 years old picked beans for 2 cents a pound.
In 1964 drove a forklift for Mercury Marine got paid $1.72 an hour!
When in high school 1956-57-58 I worked in a supper club 7 nights a week
but had every week end off they picked me up from school and had the
evening meal there also and was paid $75 check every week.

willy
Willy you are about the same age as my father and I want to say I am impressed with your adoption of technology. You are one of the rare few from that generation that became computer literate.

/ Everything Attachments #2,333  
Calhaba Valley Farm, I don't use windows
too many problems and have been using
Linux Mint now have version 19.3 lots of
free programs and easy to install. One
thing about linux o/s systems you don't
need to call for a number every time you
install or reinstall likes windows. For kids
that like to play games over 3k free! At work
had to teach people how to use some of
the windows programs. Over the years
have helped a lot of people with their
computer problems. I don't remember the
o/s system that people were trying to install
on their computer but had people telling me
the people when they call for help they were
told to change the name and reinstall but it would
not work had to delete system and reinstall old
system as new system had too many bugs.
For 6 months worked on the old tube type TV's.
Some people really get bent outa shape when
you tell them you can't fix their tv. A capacitor
when it gets hot can open and no picture but
if it don't open when you have it no way possible
you can fix it. Had a 65 mustang for 3 months
every weekend it was in the Ford garage over 55
mph it would start missing they could not find the
problem took off the distributor cap and checked
the condenser/capacitor the wire on it it had been
rubbing on the shaft as the wire was bare and put
some electrical tape on it and folded the wire so
it was shorter problem solved.

willy

/ Everything Attachments #2,334  
Calhaba Valley Farm, I don't use windows
too many problems and have been using
Linux Mint now have version 19.3 lots of
free programs and easy to install. One
thing about linux o/s systems you don't
need to call for a number every time you
install or reinstall likes windows. For kids
that like to play games over 3k free! At work
had to teach people how to use some of
the windows programs. Over the years
have helped a lot of people with their
computer problems. I don't remember the
o/s system that people were trying to install
on their computer but had people telling me
the people when they call for help they were
told to change the name and reinstall but it would
not work had to delete system and reinstall old
system as new system had too many bugs.
For 6 months worked on the old tube type TV's.
Some people really get bent outa shape when
you tell them you can't fix their tv. A capacitor
when it gets hot can open and no picture but
if it don't open when you have it no way possible
you can fix it. Had a 65 mustang for 3 months
every weekend it was in the Ford garage over 55
mph it would start missing they could not find the
problem took off the distributor cap and checked
the condenser/capacitor the wire on it it had been
rubbing on the shaft as the wire was bare and put
some electrical tape on it and folded the wire so
it was shorter problem solved.

willy
That's really cool. My hat's off to you. I have been preaching to my father for years about taking some classes at the local library to learn the basics but he refuses to do it. He always makes excuses saying his generation didn't grow up with computers but you are living proof that doesn't have to stop someone in that generation from learning. Keep on doing your thing Willy.

/ Everything Attachments #2,335  
That's really cool. My hat's off to you. I have been preaching to my father for years about taking some classes at the local library to learn the basics but he refuses to do it. He always makes excuses saying his generation didn't grow up with computers but you are living proof that doesn't have to stop someone in that generation from learning. Keep on doing your thing Willy.
My folks are 89. They teach other Seniors how to use computers... Scary from my POV based on questions they ask me. There are 2 distinct groups in that generation... Some will use modern tech and enjoy, others have no interest. Mr. Willy is an alpha...I'm not sure my folks know what Linux is!

/ Everything Attachments #2,336  
Ha! I'm 70, have a technical education, was in a high tech industry and appreciate many things computers do for us but I honestly fret over doing anything on the computer, except buying something from e bay, i can get thru that. And tbn.

Of course it's not the computers, it's the ginchy software in the products, poorly designed web pages, soft ware loops and all the marketing on the internet. I've got brand new appliances, Samsung, can't even set the clocks and the owners manual is 17 pages of warnings and disclaimers. To find the real owners manual you must go-online. Sucks!

I've been with Charles Schwab for 25years. Lately, when you call they try to get you to use their voice recognition system. After screaming "representative" 10 times i finally got a person and while being civil , i told him if i ever had to do that again i'm moving to fidelity. He PROMISED it wouldn't happen again.

IMHO the only consumer software that's any good is the amazon/e bay stuff. To me the rest is confusing or unstable etc etc.

I found, to be good at it, like anything else, you gotta make it a hobby. I'd rather play golf, shoot my bows or do some picking.

Tappy tappy tappy!

/ Everything Attachments #2,337  
Ha! I'm 70, have a technical education, was in a high tech industry and appreciate many things computers do for us but I honestly fret over doing anything on the computer, except buying something from e bay, i can get thru that. And tbn.

Of course it's not the computers, it's the ginchy software in the products, poorly designed web pages, soft ware loops and all the marketing on the internet. I've got brand new appliances, Samsung, can't even set the clocks and the owners manual is 17 pages of warnings and disclaimers. To find the real owners manual you must go-online. Sucks!

I've been with Charles Schwab for 25years. Lately, when you call they try to get you to use their voice recognition system. After screaming "representative" 10 times i finally got a person and while being civil , i told him if i ever had to do that again i'm moving to fidelity. He PROMISED it wouldn't happen again.

IMHO the only consumer software that's any good is the amazon/e bay stuff. To me the rest is confusing or unstable etc etc.

I found, to be good at it, like anything else, you gotta make it a hobby. I'd rather play golf, shoot my bows or do some picking.

Tappy tappy tappy!
Kinda the same here, and I am 11 years (81) ahead of you.

/ Everything Attachments #2,338  
Linux Mint is kinda like windows but stable
you can make donations but every program
is FREE and for kids they have over 3000
games. You can get open office free write a
novel or book or sit right down and write your
self a letter and make believe it.....
I like the fact that when I put a disc in a program
opens up and asks what you want to do. Try that
with windows! I have a HP printer and on the
screen it flashed "are these HP ink cartage's and
now it don't work. Heard other people say the same
I just put a new color and black ink cartage's in and
HP fixed it!
They say Ubuntu is a good one to start with but I
believe Mint is better

willy

/ Everything Attachments #2,339  
I got moved to Schwab, from USAA (securities account) and it was definitely a downgrade...........

/ Everything Attachments #2,340  
I got moved to Schwab, from USAA (securities account) and it was definitely a downgrade...........
And that's why I chose Fidelity long ago. I compared Fidelity, Vanguard, and the others.

Vanguard had the lowest fees so your savings will grow slightly faster. But it had limited customer service, not in the evening for example. Fidelity could be reached 24/7 for top quality advice or transactions, so I chose them. All the others seemed to have higher fees or less customer service compared to these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.