f350 5.4l stalling problem

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #51  
I had a similar problem on a 89 S10 Blazzer at about 20,000 miles. The dealer replaced a bunch of parts and at the end of the day and 4 or 5 trips later it ended up being a plugged Catalytic Converter.

These little issues can be so hard to track down. It could be just about anything.

Chris

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #52  
Agreed - my first preference is an accurate diagnosis, out of the gate.

That said, unfortunately, finding a shop that A) charges reasonable rates/hours, B) does quality work, and C) is honest is getting to be less likely than finding a mint condition split-window 'Vette for $8k.

Personally, I can make a $/cents argument for occasionally taking a flyer on relatively low-cost parts tossing. I can do that, and still come out ahead in the $100/hr, jam the customer 3 hours on a 40 minute task game.

All that said, once all the basic intake cleaning/checks are done, it may take an OBD scanner that can read live-data to track down a flaky sensor, etc. Those start at about $300 Canadian here.

Rgds, D.

I agree and disagree:)

Too many times I have seen people replace sensor after sensor and try this and that and still not fix it. For the most most part with todays vehilces you are just guessing unless you have a scan tool with a data stream. Once in a while you can find something by doing a visual inspection.

Recently a someone brought a vehicle into us. It was running awful, it would only run 30MPH up the road. It had new plugs, wires, coils, MAFS, IAC, fuel pump and fuel filter. I looked under the hood and found a plug wire on the manifold and one wrapped around the EGR pipe! It also had a plug with the gap bumped shut. After putting a new set of wires and plugs on it, it ran better but not right. It had an oxygen sensor that was out of wack. Something had chewed the wires almost in two on the oxygen sensor. So probably all that was wrong with the vehicle to begin with was the oxygen sensor but someone had been working on it to save this person money instead of taking it into a shop.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #53  
I agree and disagree:)

Too many times I have seen people replace sensor after sensor and try this and that and still not fix it. For the most most part with todays vehilces you are just guessing unless you have a scan tool with a data stream. Once in a while you can find something by doing a visual inspection.

Recently a someone brought a vehicle into us. It was running awful, it would only run 30MPH up the road. It had new plugs, wires, coils, MAFS, IAC, fuel pump and fuel filter. I looked under the hood and found a plug wire on the manifold and one wrapped around the EGR pipe! It also had a plug with the gap bumped shut. After putting a new set of wires and plugs on it, it ran better but not right. It had an oxygen sensor that was out of wack. Something had chewed the wires almost in two on the oxygen sensor. So probably all that was wrong with the vehicle to begin with was the oxygen sensor but someone had been working on it to save this person money instead of taking it into a shop.

We are on the same page 94. :)

Rgds, D.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem
I'm with you guys I am going to bring it in for a fuel injector cleaning and see if that improves anything they haven't been cleaned in the 5 years i've owned the truck so I think its a good place to start.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #55  
Back in the 70's I went to a motorcycle repair shop that had a sign......." our rates are $25 per hour.........$50 per hour if you have worked on it".:eek:

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #56  
I'm with you guys I am going to bring it in for a fuel injector cleaning and see if that improves anything they haven't been cleaned in the 5 years i've owned the truck so I think its a good place to start.

For basic maintenance I've used either Seafoam, TKO2000, or Amsoil PI for gasoline injectors. Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about Redline too.

Rgds, D.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #57  
Back in the 70's I went to a motorcycle repair shop that had a sign......." our rates are $25 per hour.........$50 per hour if you have worked on it".:eek:

I've seen the sign with 3 levels.

Same 2 as your's; Mid-rate was If You Want To Watch !

Rgds, D.

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #58  
Here's the one hanging in my shop
IMG_20150407_193110.jpg

Unfortunately, the prices are far from accurate these days. Shop rates in my area are around $125 an hour. Higher for diesel

/ f350 5.4l stalling problem #59  
I've seen the sign with 3 levels. Same 2 as your's; Mid-rate was If You Want To Watch ! Rgds, D.

I have that sign in my shop.

Goes like this.

Shop Rate $50 Per Hr.
If you watch $70
If you help $90

Chris