failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong?

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #1  

orangetree

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti ck2610
pretty new to chaining anything. For my grade70 chains i dedicated to my tractor's trailer, i bought 'locking' style clevis grab hooks
  • because it makes setup a tiny bit easier (no dropped hooks before i get it snug), plus
  • theoretically in a "bad event" where there was a some momentary slack (broken chain on a different corner, collision, etc) the locking pin might keep the hook engaged until the (shifting - again, SHTF situation) load finds a new position. Theoretical, border case; but I drive an undivided winding two lane highway that has zero barriers, a 15' embankment to a river, and a bunch of idiot drivers - so I'll take anything i can get :)
Anyway, two of my four hooks, after just one use, clearly have had some load put on the pin (and the pin can obviously take *zero* load - one locking pin cannot be operated at all, even with pliers, and the other one is very tight now but still hand-operable.

Here's a picture of how I have them bound: This one is undamaged, has ~1/16" gap to the pin in this setup. Of course i didn't know the pins were damaged before i loosened the load the first time, so I don't have any pictures of the 'bad' engagement - but I was pretty careful and it was set up exactly the same way.

IMG_20211010_101517.jpg

IMG_20211010_101419.jpg

Here's the hook that is still 'barely operable' (I've left the pin open where it stays by friction now)
IMG_20211010_101407.jpg

IMG_20211009_192752.jpg

Can you think of anything i could be doing wrong here? About the *only* variable i can think of is 'loop length' before i grab the hook to its chain; mine are short, maybe 6" here. Thanks!!

Last edited:
   / failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong?
FWIW here is a better pic of the (import) hook i have:
1633884520700.png

I see a few domestic mfg's that have a better (more space between the grabbed link and the locking pin) design, albeit at (much more $$) grade 100:
1633884573700.png

or a totally different design that looks a lot more robust (and if the 'pin' DOES get inappropriately loaded, it can still be opened, i appears
1633884808600.png
1633885615400.png

Last edited:
   / failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #4  
That pin is not meant to take a load. It's just like those spring loaded flip levers. It's only there to help keep the hook in place until you get a binder on the chain. When you hook a chain, you need to be at as much of right angle to the chain as possible. Use a binder to take up a chain that's too long.

None of my hooks have those levers or pins.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #5  
Any chance you are using, say, a 5/16 chain in a 1/4 hook? (or 3/8 in a 5/16 hook) IIRC, there's some slot slop that might allow it. But that retaining pin location might be designed for a matched size.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #6  
Based on years of using chains, I can tell you those pins would not survive long for me. If it isn't load or wear and tear, just basic contamination will catch up with them. Too fussy to be practical.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #8  
I may be the only crazy one here, but when I need to be sure my grab hooks stay in place, I just use some electrical tape.

When in tension, they will not come off. When not in tension, they will, very likely, not come off if held in place by something like electrical tape.

Personally, that is enough for me. Has worked every time for many years...but of course, just for me... :)

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong?
Any chance you are using, say, a 5/16 chain in a 1/4 hook? (or 3/8 in a 5/16 hook) IIRC, there's some slot slop that might allow it. But that retaining pin location might be designed for a matched size.
5/16 chain in a 5/16 hook

The hook is advertised as "5/16" not "5/16 to 3/8" (I don't pretend to know the exact difference here but it makes sense its not 'loose' width-wise on the 5/16)

Does anyone else think it looks mismatched, or have a similar locking hook they could share a pic of when tightened?

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #10  
Why be worried about those pins if you are trusting that shackle to keep your tractor on the trailer?