failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong?

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #12  
Regardless of what that "made in china" hook is labeled, the hook is too large for the chain.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #13  
see the two bullets in the OP
Care to elaborate?

Vehicles without dedicated tiedown points should be strapped by the axles or designated wheel restraints. Then again perhaps I drag things farther down the road.

Never had a problem with hooks falling off myself, however I have had problems with the same speed-binders the op is using.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #14  
The hook is a sloppy fit and those pins wouldn't make me feel any more secure. OP's experience in having pins to become damaged with first use is evidence of poor desighn and subject to failure.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #15  
Never used grab hooks with any sort of chain retaining pins or spring levers... They always seem to be damaged beyond repair after first use......... IF really desperate I use "mousing'....

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong?
Care to elaborate?

Vehicles without dedicated tiedown points should be strapped by the axles or designated wheel restraints. Then again perhaps I drag things farther down the road.

Never had a problem with hooks falling off myself, however I have had problems with the same speed-binders the op is using.
Let me emphasize that although i have a technical background, i know nearly nothing about the "right" way to transport.

The first points in my OP are that standard grab hooks obviously work fine, but given the option for "standard grab hook" -plus- "retainer clip" i'll choose the lock/retainer - it makes it slightly easier to chain up as everything stays in position no matter the orientation, and it could, maybe/theoretically, help in a severe incident (without having any safety draw back AFAICT).

I agree that by the axles would be ideal, but as I found earlier in nOOb to chaining down - is this sufficient? (I'm the OP) that was not possible. It's really inexplicable to me that this major-brand tractor does not have dediciated transport points, at least as an option.

What problems did you have with these binders (and I'm using two styles - a "standard" (red), and the yellow folding peerless brand)?

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #17  
Those hooks are nice for initial setup of the chains being bound but once you start tightening the binders you should release the pins. If you are worried about the hooks falling off during transit then you haven't attached them properly.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #18  
Using the shackle on the drawbar is fine.

If you can, go 1 or 2 stake pockets further back with the anchor point on the trailer. The closer to 45 degrees the better.

/ failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #19  
   / failed locking pin on locking chain grab hook - am i doing it wrong? #20  
Using the shackle on the drawbar is fine.

If you can, go 1 or 2 stake pockets further back with the anchor point on the trailer. The closer to 45 degrees the better.
Yes and no.... My car carrier trailer doubles as haul anything I can load on it, but I found stake pockets miserable to work with.. Added large diameter steel loops (5/8 material) to each corner of trailer ... Hard to understand why equipment trailers use stake pockets and not dedicated "loop" tie down points, guess its that a cut piece of steel channel for stake pockets is cheaper than fabing loops...

And a minor technically California requires a vehicle to be tied down at four points.... Don't thing think using draw bar and a shackle would be 2 of the four points...I would interpret 2 of the four induvial points to be something like axles on rear of vehicle or dedicated tie points...

Last edited: