Fan disintegrates!

/ Fan disintegrates! #21  
Have to disagree with the water pump failures on Kubota, I have about 8 here ranging from 650-4000+hrs and all on the original WP, at least 4 of them are over 3000hrs. The newest one is 2010 and the oldest is sometime in the 80's.

As for the fan, guessing either improper material selection or as stated just a bad mix.
That’s good news you are the exception however I was not as lucky well neither were my other colleagues here northern states. We all had water pump replacement around 700-1000 hours.
As far as fan material they are molded out of nylon 6/6 common material. However nylon does not like adverse dry no humidity conditions. It will stress crack leading to failure. Need to ask the question we’re there any concentrated white spots where the fan cracked. This would be defined stress point. Thanks for sharing your opinion and longevity of your water pump. I was also told to inspect water pump yearly which meant to relieve pressure from belt. Then grab the fan and see if it wobble or move side to side. Dealer stated clearly once the water pump goes the engine temp can rise quickly under load and risk taking a head gasket if not caught quickly. I can only speak for my first hand experience, I caught my pump failing.

/ Fan disintegrates! #22  
That’s good news you are the exception however I was not as lucky well neither were my other colleagues here northern states. We all had water pump replacement around 700-1000 hours.
As far as fan material they are molded out of nylon 6/6 common material. However nylon does not like adverse dry no humidity conditions. It will stress crack leading to failure. Need to ask the question we’re there any concentrated white spots where the fan cracked. This would be defined stress point. Thanks for sharing your opinion and longevity of your water pump. I was also told to inspect water pump yearly which meant to relieve pressure from belt. Then grab the fan and see if it wobble or move side to side. Dealer stated clearly once the water pump goes the engine temp can rise quickly under load and risk taking a head gasket if not caught quickly. I can only speak for my first hand experience, I caught my pump failing.
What brand of tractor

/ Fan disintegrates! #23  
Well I searched the TBN archives, and could find no references to tractor cooling fan failures. So regardless of brand its definitely a rare occurrence. I agree with the OP, its hard to get a branch to penetrate inside the engine compartment, and especially without leaving some some trace of its presence. I suspect it may have been a faulty factory fan from the start, and only a matter of time it self destructs. Kioti does not provide warranty is surprising, its a rather low cost part, but labor cost is going to be big issue.

/ Fan disintegrates! #25  
Well I searched the TBN archives, and could find no references to tractor cooling fan failures. So regardless of brand its definitely a rare occurrence. I agree with the OP, its hard to get a branch to penetrate inside the engine compartment, and especially without leaving some some trace of its presence. I suspect it may have been a faulty factory fan from the start, and only a matter of time it self destructs. Kioti does not provide warranty is surprising, its a rather low cost part, but labor cost is going to be big issue.
Had a kitten decide to get warm by camping in my fan shroud of my F250 diesel. When I remote started the truck I didn't realize there was a kitten in there.
The plastic fan blades broke in three places after shredding the kitten. Fortunately my homeowner policy covered the damage.

/ Fan disintegrates! #26  
Generally UV is what destroys many plastics.
White suffers the worst while dark colors are the most resistant.
You'll probably have seen plastic signs that totally turn to powder after a year or so.

Then UV resistant tie wraps are always dark grey or black.

/ Fan disintegrates! #27  
I had a plastic fan blade failure on my old LG (LS) 47hp. Tractor had done less than 1000 hours, but was able to get a new one from Korea (vis the Australian dealer) in about 10 days, for not a lot more than AU$100 delivered, so pretty happy with that service and price. Old one just was falling apart:

View attachment 719504

View attachment 719505
Thanks for the pics....I'm at 800 hrs now. So my inspection routine will now add a closer look to the fan.
After several pasture jobs I normally take the time to use simple green to clean the blades.
It just never occurred to me to look for this.
Shoot even an obvious crack like in the pics would probably get overlooked.
While washing and cleaning, the old gray matter is focused on what the next honey-dew on my list and would clean miss it...!!

/ Fan disintegrates! #28  
Plastic fans:

Just recalled that my dehumidifier fan totally blew apart suddenly.
Now that appliance never saw UV so what caused it to blow apart.
Harmonic vibration?
When I searched online for a replacement fan I noticed that that fan was totally sold out and no signs of replacement.
OK, it was 'of a certain age' but needing a new fan I had to scrap it, and that for need of an essential part.

/ Fan disintegrates! #29  
How ya liking your plastic tractor?

/ Fan disintegrates! #30  
Maybe a bad batch of recycled plastic to save money?