FEL Hydraulics Just Died

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
Just a bit earlier this morning I ripped apart some large snow mounds on my driveway with my backhoe (mounds about 10' high). Then turned around and bulldozed the snow chunks over the edge into the ravine using my bucket with tooth bar. I was about done bulldozing this section over the edge and about to turn around and backhoe some more. As I started to back away from the last push... my FEL hydraulics totally died.

No lift-no curl. In testing the controls, the bucket tilted down a bit and the tooth bar touched the ground. No going forward. I reversed all the way back to the shop with the teeth dragging. I am currently parked outside but will back into the stall.

I have found no hydraulic leaks that I can see. All the hydraulic FEL hoses are connected to the valve and tight. The 2 control cables are going into the valve and nothing looks loose or out of place. The control stick appears normal with nothing obviously loose (I haven't gotten inside the control stick area yet).

I've never had this happen before. Any ideas on if the valve just died? Hopefully I'll find disconnected cables or something.

Thanks for any ideas!

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #2  
this is awfully generic as I don't know your machine........

You partial disconnected something, or partial closed a valve somewhere.

check fluid level, does bh have "power"?
do the hoses surge when you lift/lower, curl?
is the 3ph trying to over lift?

best,

ed

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died
Thanks for the ideas!

After more testing... it appears the hydraulic pump may have died.

The backhoe hydraulics are also dead.

Thanks again!

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #4  
Thanks for the ideas!

After more testing... it appears the hydraulic pump may have died.

The backhoe hydraulics are also dead.

Thanks again!
Yea sure, don't run it any more than you have to until you sort it out. Pumps do die, but, make sure you have good fluid and filters and screens are clear.

best of luck,

ed

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #5  
Check that a valve is not stuck open or quick connect unseated. That will "dead head" the system causing flow to go through a relief valve. Nothing hydraulic will work. There is usually a high pitched squealing sound but it can be faint and missed due to engine noise.

It seems unlikely that the hydraulic pump would fail suddenly and completely.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died
Thanks for the ideas.

This tractor is geared and seems to be driving just fine.

There are only 6 hydraulic hose connections... 4 at the FEL valve and 2 at a rear remote for the backhoe. There is a lever in the cab which either enables the 3-point lift or the backhoe remotes. I have disconnected and reconnected all the hose connections with no joy.

The FEL has no hydraulic action. The 3-point lift has no hydraulic action. The backhoe has no hydraulic action.

There is no detectable sound of squealing with a valve bypassing, but there naturally is engine noise (and possibly noise at the hydraulic pump).

The hydraulic oil & filter was changed a couple of months ago so I doubt it is low but I will check it.

Thanks again.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #8  
Hoping for some simple solution.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #9  
I'd suggest disconnecting and re-connecting all the hydraulic quick connects. Probably have one that is not seated.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #10  
I'd suggest disconnecting and re-connecting all the hydraulic quick connects. Probably have one that is not seated.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I have disconnected and reconnected all the hose connections with no joy.

Just a bit earlier this morning I ripped apart some large snow mounds on my driveway with my backhoe (mounds about 10' high). Then turned around and bulldozed the snow chunks over the edge into the ravine using my bucket with tooth bar. I was about done bulldozing this section over the edge and about to turn around and backhoe some more. As I started to back away from the last push... my FEL hydraulics totally died.

I have found no hydraulic leaks that I can see. All the hydraulic FEL hoses are connected to the valve and tight. The 2 control cables are going into the valve and nothing looks loose or out of place. The control stick appears normal with nothing obviously loose (I haven't gotten inside the control stick area yet).
The FEL has no hydraulic action. The 3-point lift has no hydraulic action. The backhoe has no hydraulic action.
Could you have snagged and bent or crimped a hardline underneath somewhere? Enough to block flow, but not cause a leak?

Is there some kind of electrical connection to the pump, or an actuator/solenoid that may have pulled loose?