FEL level indicator

/ FEL level indicator #21  
I get by with just this type. I can see the top flat and I can level at any height. When I place things above head height on a shelf this works well. When the top flat is level the bucket is level regardless of the height off the ground. The rods and such only work at ground level I think and the flat bar on the bucket works there too.
1646577461674.png

/ FEL level indicator #22  
I get by with just this type. I can see the top flat and I can level at any height. When I place things above head height on a shelf this works well. When the top flat is level the bucket is level regardless of the height off the ground. The rods and such only work at ground level I think and the flat bar on the bucket works there too.
View attachment 736114
No, the level indicators DO NOT just work 'at ground level.' The one you show is what the mfrs do when they want to save $2 by not putting a bucket level indicator rod on the thing. Sure, I get by with it on my BX2200 but I would not want to on my larger farm tractor. As others mentioned, the top of the bucket may or may not be visible depending on what you are doing. Besides, I am often using a grapple or other front tool when there is no bucket and the rod type level indicator is very useful then too.

/ FEL level indicator #23  
I've never understood the interest in bucket level indicators. I just look at the top of the bucket, which is parallel with the bottom and visible on either side of the tractor, and judge by that. Is the top not parallel to the bottom on some units?
I do NOT find this comment negative, merely inquisitive. To answer your question though, the top of my bucket, grapple and most other SSQA implements I own are not parallel with the bottom leading edge. My FEL "had" a level indicator on it that got ripped off during a "grueling grapple fest". Mahindra wanted ~$200 for a new one so instead I put one of them wireless two camera rear view mirror setups from Amazon (think it was ~$150). The two cameras are mounted at the top of the cab, one toward the FEL the other pointed at 3ph implements. This setup works very well for me because I can see the leading edge on all my SSQA stuff as well as watching my 3ph implements (no float on my 3ph).

Just my 2 cents.

/ FEL level indicator #24  
Thanks, Chris.

/ FEL level indicator #25  
More often, I want to know when my bucket is curled correctly to hold full loads when it's above my line of sight but at varying heights. When I'm loading something like a big dumpster and I've got a bucket full of miscellaneous objects that need to clear the lip before dumping I worry about dropping things prematurely or onto myself. Anybody rig up something like this? What would it even be called?
That would be a self leveling bucket. Some manufacturers did it mechanically with linkage. some had it built into the hydraulic valve and yet others sold a kit that was a special valve installed. Some are good but some only level when raising. Most smaller loaders did not have them as the price was too high.

/ FEL level indicator #26  
My Mahindra came with one, standard. Don't they all? It is handy, but for all the road building and terracing work I do, I just find it a starting point, being level. Whether shoveling or dozing with the 4in1 clamshell open, it usually needs to be tipped up or down some degree depending upon the terrain.

/ FEL level indicator #27  
I would be very lost without a good level indicator. When I work on making woods trails, I need to shave off a few inches here or there, and if the bucket is not curled EXACTLY right, you are digging down or rising up.

/ FEL level indicator #28  
I've often thought about just attaching a piece of plastic or any rigid material (painted metal for instance) to the top of the bucket so that I can get a better indication of level vs trying to gauge the top of the bucket from the seat, which could be off by 5-10 degrees depending where the bucket is in relation to my head. It's really tough to determine those 2" that are so relative to where the bucket is and what it's carrying. Nice job.

/ FEL level indicator #29  
After revisiting this and other parts of forum, really beginning to rethink this... Might be cold rainy nigh project in the heated shop...

/ FEL level indicator #30  
I use my level indicator every time I use my bucket.
Probably the best add-on for a tractor.