"Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #11  
That's a different brand but same concept. That one is nicer than a spyder.

I purchased my Spyder new in 1990. When I sold it 14 years later it had the dubious reputation of being perhaps the only known machine in existence that hadn’t been rolled.

We have two Moffets and a far superior Kesmac now.

IMG_1537.jpg

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.
Your Spyder is a piggy back or truck mount forklift. The mast has double hydraulics to push DOWN to lift the unit up.

I used to have one. I will try to find better pics tonight and provide a little more info.

View attachment 606569

I’m quite certain you won’t find a website as they didn’t exist back then.

Good to know about the down force. That gives me a reason to restore it. That's a feature I've always thought was missing from traditional forklifts.

"Back then"... are you implying they don't make these anymore?

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #13  
Well I knew the reason the wheels were locked up was because they're hydraulic and need to be bypassed. I planned on taking the lines off each wheel motor and connect it in a loop so the fluid could flow; that way I can move it around a little easier. but I did NOT know that dragging with the tractor with the wheels locked up could damage the pump. It's been dragged probably 20-40ft total since I showed up to dig it out of the pasture. I hope it's not already damaged.

I will go take some pictures of the hydro treasures in bit. Will post later.

My guess is you did no damage. Just a heads up for future reference.

I purchased my Spyder new in 1990. When I sold it 14 years later it had the dubious reputation of being perhaps the only known machine in existence that hadn’t been rolled.

We have two Moffets and a far superior Kesmac now.

View attachment 606570

So it's a death trap then? Good to know.

Ok motor/pumps:
It has (2) Eaton 70142-6000 variable displacement sawshplate/piston pumps (very exciting!) For the two wheels and (1) pump with no identifying marks appears to be a fixed displacement gear pump that powers the valve block for all the cylinders. I can't find any markings on the engine other than "Kohler USA" but it's pretty darned big for a horizontal shaft small engine and from the specs posted on the newer units earlier in this thread, I estimate it's somewhere between 30 and 50hp. Would be a perfect donor for that adult-sized go cart I've been dreaming of building for the past 15 years.

Attachments

• 20190527_180349.jpg
    20190527_180349.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 104
  • 20190527_180412.jpg
    20190527_180412.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20190527_180357.jpg
    20190527_180357.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
   / "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #16  
Those two Eatons are belt driven?

Is there a clutch on the motor or the Eatons to disengage the pumps when starting?

Yes I did Google that and I saw those images, but unfortunately all the info it provided was confirmation that what I have is a Spyder forklift. I chased some of the rabbit holes and every one I went down was just one auction or another with ultra-vague details that ended some years ago. I'm hoping for more detailed information such as a users manuals or tech manuals, parts diagrams, some idea how old it is and how many HP, lifing capacity, instructions on how to operate it without killing myself, etc. Or at least something leading back to the manufacturers website. I will continue to follow those rabbit holes and probably, eventually, find some helpful info. But i was hoping maybe someone here in this huge online community had some insight which could save me the leg work.

Those two Eatons are belt driven?

Is there a clutch on the motor or the Eatons to disengage the pumps when starting?

Yes, belt driven. There is some kind of screw-in pulley/ belt tightening adjustment knob accessible from the operators chair, the details of which are currently obscured by thorny vines. It appears that the 3rd pump (gear pump) slides up and down. I'll clear it out tomorrow and see what that's all about. I had wondered about that, if that's supposed to be used during normal operation (hence accessibility) or if it's just to set the belt tension. What do you think? Your question implies there should be some sort of clutch? Maybe this is it. But if it is, that seems a little weird.