"Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #21  
Yes, belt driven. There is some kind of screw-in pulley/ belt tightening adjustment knob accessible from the operators chair, the details of which are currently obscured by thorny vines. It appears that the 3rd pump (gear pump) slides up and down. I'll clear it out tomorrow and see what that's all about. I had wondered about that, if that's supposed to be used during normal operation (hence accessibility) or if it's just to set the belt tension. What do you think? Your question implies there should be some sort of clutch? Maybe this is it. But if it is, that seems a little weird.

The reason I asked about the belt drives and clutch is because my PowerTrac is directly coupled to all three of my pumps. It makes starting in cold weather very hard. While my Kohler has started down to -5F, it was not easy turning all that very cold hydraulic oil. A clutch would be very nice to take the load off when starting me machine.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #22  
"Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

Good to know about the down force. That gives me a reason to restore it. That's a feature I've always thought was missing from traditional forklifts.

"Back then"... are you implying they don't make these anymore?[/

Downforce on traditional forklifts would be a hindrance in most circumstances.

I’m certain there’s still lots around. Bigger turf farms used to have fleets of them. My educated guess would be they are no longer manufactured.

Mobile Lift that bunyip linked to probably still have parts and rebuilds machines.

The OEM hydraulic wheel motors were a weak spot. I had to upgrade mine to a pair of heavier units.

IMG_5538.jpg

This pic illustrates the telescoping rear caster wheel assembly as the machine’s lift mast does not have a tilt cylinder.

IMG_5537.jpg

The machine will turn in its own length and is quicker than conventional truck mount lifts.

Being independently hydraulic powered the front drive wheels operate like a skid steer. Steering and direction control is operated with a single joystick. Twist clockwise to turn right. CC for left. Twist fully and the machine spins around in its own length. Push forward for forward travel. Pull back for reverse.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #24  
Re: "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

Only company info I ever come up with is this...

Spyder Forklifts Web-lift Inc was founded in 2002, and is located at 4803 Cripple Creek Dr in Houston. Additional information is available at or by contacting Earl Hancemer at (713) 947-8224.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

Only company info I ever come up with is this...

Spyder Forklifts Web-lift Inc was founded in 2002, and is located at 4803 Cripple Creek Dr in Houston. Additional information is available at or by contacting Earl Hancemer at (713) 947-8224.

Thank you! I'll give the number a call tomorrow and see if that goes anywhere. It's odd that they don't have a website and googling the address returns Darr Equipment, which makes no mention of Spyder on their website.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it.

@big barn

Do you by chance have any leftover documentation from the old spyder that you used to have? Thank you for the help. The pictures you've posted already explained a lot and I imagine they weren't easy to find.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #27  
What information are you looking for? It’s a pretty simple unit that’s mostly put together with 3rd party parts.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #28  
strantor. I always supply the service and operators manuals when I
sell or trade in equipment. I would give Earl a call. I don’t remember the entire story but I think he was one of the original manufacturers of the Spyder as it was his design. Most likely from the 1970’s or 80’s.

If you end up needing a wheel drive motor and it is the same as the one I have in my parts room you are more than welcome to it. It’s a heavy sucker though.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #29  
What information are you looking for? It’s a pretty simple unit that’s mostly put together with 3rd party parts.

Correct. Very simple in design. No proprietary parts whatsoever.

/ "Field find" SPYDER rough terrain forklift. Looking for info on it. #30  

Thank you! I'll give the number a call tomorrow and see if that goes anywhere. It's odd that they don't have a website and googling the address returns Darr Equipment, which makes no mention of Spyder on their website.

I google earthed the address and it shows a building. Street views shows Darr Equipment, a CAT dealer.