Filling a cistern

/pine

Super Star Member
open or abandoned wells, holes etc can be a source of ground water contamination depending on the aquifer...if there are any wells nearby being used for potable water special care should be taken with back filling...

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Looks like you got about 10" of rain in your area last month.
Clear around it so if and when you start a fire there is no problem.
I'd wait for it to dry out a fair bit, then when it's safe (and legal, maybe contact the fire dept.) hook your blower up to a pipe, spray in an appropriate amount of diesel and let the flames consume what they will.

Streetcar

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 870
What is near the object. If nothing important, overfill with dirt and let it settle and rot. Add dirt as needed. Burning will only speed the process up

civilian

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230, Kubota B26TLB
Do you have a backhoe with a hydraulic thumb or mini ex with thumb? Reach in with bucket and thumb, pull some wood out to see what else is down there. Then decide what to do. But is the ground strong enough to support your backhoe? Old bomb shelter? Keep us posted if you find anything. Jon

jigs_n_fixtures

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T233
Ideally you need to get to the bottom, to punch a hole in it so it is free draining.

As to getting air in so it can burn, a vent pipe hooked to a blower is a good idea. Get it as far in as you can, and then work it in further as the fire Burns things out of the way. I’d also recommend a 50/50 mix of diesel and gasoline as an accelerant to get it started burning. Shouldn’t take a lot, but. I’m fairly sure it will take some.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
You've a start on kugelkultur for that little area. Just finish filling it in and grow some good stuff there.

OP
Number15

Number15

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Gonna try and light it today. I figure I have about 10% chance of it catching. It's been wet here lately.