Finally upgraded the rake and tedder

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Been wanting to upgrade the rake for years but the old new Holland 256 has been extremely reliable. Have had the wife and daughter helping with raking and tedding duties the last couple years. Well the tedder wheels are in rough shape. Been patching up the rims as best as I can but the one is beyond repair. A couple years ago when I inquired it was over $250 per wheel to replace from Vicon. The rims won't come off without a huge fight as I doubt they've ever been off. So time for a new tedder. Since I'm getting a new tedder wife says get the new rake as well

New rake is a Pequea MCR 10 with kicker wheel. Tedder is a Pequea 46x.

Daughter is very happy

1563964583165.jpg1563964627123.jpg

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #3  
New equipment and good help, what else could a man ask for!

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #4  
Good deal. From a business perspective (it's a business with me), I turn over equipment about every 5 years. It's all a write off anyway. I'm on a 5 year depreciation cycle. Only reason I run older Kubota's is because I don't want the Tier 4 final headaches.

If they get Tier 4 hardware and software perfected before I die, I'll upgrade the tractors too. Until then, pre emissions tractors and new hay tools.

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #5  
Good luck with the new tedder and rake.
We tried a wheel rake on the farm a couple of years ago and found that just like 20-30 years ago,
they tended to put more stones in the windrows then the rolabar rakes do.
Those stones really don't do good in the chopper when doing haylage.

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #6  
We tried a wheel rake on the farm a couple of years ago and found that just like 20-30 years ago,

Never used a wheel rake. Guy down the lane has one. Seems to make a nice windrow. I started out with a side delivery NH but I found out in alfalfa / Timothy, the side delivery rakes tend to 'rope' the forage and that extends the dry down time. I switched to a Rotary (H&S which is Artsway now) about 10 years ago. The rotary fluffs the windrow and cut my dry down time by at least a day and ever since I got one, my tedder hasn't left the barn. Oldest piece of equipment I own and it's getting replaced this winter with a new Kubota rotary rake. Not sure if I'll get a single rotor or a twin rotor yet.

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder
Fortunately I don't have to deal with stones in my hay fields.

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #8  
Little update... Sold my H&S in one day on Craigslist, first guy that called bought it and drove 2 hours to get it. For now, I'm rakeless. Basically sold it for what I paid for it. I'm happy.

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder
Little update... Sold my H&S in one day on Craigslist, first guy that called bought it and drove 2 hours to get it. For now, I'm rakeless. Basically sold it for what I paid for it. I'm happy.
Did you decide on a single or double rotary yet?

/ Finally upgraded the rake and tedder #10  
Did you decide on a single or double rotary yet?

Still undecided. Kubota has them both ways. My issue with a twin rotor is turning. I have some extremely tight corners in a couple of my fields. Been also looking at a headstock rotary instead of a trailer. The headstock rotary would allow me to lift the entire rake on a tight corner and reduce the rake 'tail'. I really dislike 'chasing tails' in a hayfield. Wastes time, fuel and it's irritating plus I have to watch where the RB pickup is when in the tail curve.

Do know one thing, I need to chop a couple fields in the next week or so.