First electric tractor ride

/ First electric tractor ride #141  
Not me!
Who knows...in 2-3 years from now fuel prices may drop.
More electric things mean more demand means higher electric bills.
....and lower fossil fuel bills!
6¢ per mile to drive an EV vs 14¢ per mile for diesel

/ First electric tractor ride #142  
I've yet to see smog in rural areas. Cities, states can mandate smog out if existence. I'm in agreement with that. But, tractors? In rural areas? Smh...
Smog=smoke+fog
Air pollution=anything that comes out of a chimney or exhaust pipe

/ First electric tractor ride #143  
Arrow, thank you for the honest review. It is the first one I have read on TBN of a person who actually drove an electric tractor. I believe that there is a place for them, as you have stated. Also the industry numbers I have seen are around 26 hours per year are average for a compact tractor. The folks here are most likely a representative of the "power users" and have much higher hours per year on average as shown in this thread.

I also found your comment about the Solectrac not charging below 32 degrees surprising. I had not heard of that before. It seems like that would kill a lot of market potential. I wonder if it has a really strong low end pulling power. Electric motors are great at maintaining power over a wider band of RPM's than an internal combustion.

I do not see myself in a position were an electric tractor will make sense for me unless the technology advances quite far. However I know many folks who own compact tractors and have never run them more than 30 minutes in one sitting. However the choice of electric vs internal combustion engine has been politicized too much. Ex: if you drive a Prius your a yuppy, etc. It should be a choice on needs, without a political aspect. With that being said I am afraid there is no way this thread is not going to turn negative with folks bashing electric. Not out of careful consideration of their needs but a more vitriol response. It is also my belief it should be a personal choice of internal vs electric without the Government forcing it down anyone's throat.
"It is also my belief it should be a personal choice of internal vs electric without the Government forcing it down anyone's throat."

I agree 100%. Don't want the government forcing me to go along with their BS.

/ First electric tractor ride #144  
I'm thinking this price would come down as the technology advances.
Then I think of the mining needed to make one battery and become unconvinced that it would.
I also think that unless synthetics are created for what the raw essential minerals accomplish that comprise a battery makeup such as iron, cobalt, lithium, copper, etc, the scarring to the earth might be as prolific as more and more giant holes are dug. Plus these minerals are in abundance in certain spots only.

I wonder how long a nuclear reactor about the size of a coffee can would propel a vehicle for.
Hydrogen

/ First electric tractor ride #145  
After they take all the subsidies off wind and solar, diesel may be cheaper than electricity. Until we find a cheap way to produce electric power (think nuclear) fossil fuel will rule. And, we have enough coal to last 100 years at present usage.

/ First electric tractor ride #146  
....and lower fossil fuel bills!
6¢ per mile to drive an EV vs 14¢ per mile for diesel
I always get a kick out of comparisons like yours where you totally disregard where the electricity originates at and how it is produced and at what environmental cost and I just don't mean the electricity to recharge but the entire picture including the rare minerals to produce the batteries and all the other parts.

Always good to put you head in the sand and cherry pick your aspects. Why I normally don't reply to comments like yours because they are based on 'tooth fairy' principles.

/ First electric tractor ride #147  
Regarding the battery temperature issue- It's because Soletrac uses lithium *iron* (LiFePO4), not lithium *ion*. That means:

... 4) Costs about $80 per kWh, - a little more than half of lithium-ion ...

When you need a new battery pack, the current cost for it would be around $1,800

I almost choked reading this, I just bought four 4.2kwh LiFePO4 batteries for my house... Each one cost more than you're saying a 22kwh battery costs and that was at dealer cost which is 40% off list.

Take your $80/kwh you found on Google and multiply it by 2-5x depending on the application. If you can find me a 22kwh battery (of any kind) for $1800 I'll buy one right now, maybe several.

/ First electric tractor ride
“Salesman came buy the dealership yesterday...”
by, buy, bye.....pick ONE....any one
old.
That was what "spell check" corrected when I first typed "lol".
I don't know if I made the blunder but you are correct : any of them will do.
Let me see, "salesman came by the... ..cane buy....cam kebuhy....
Could have been me.

Last edited:
   / First electric tractor ride #149  
Why stop with the made in India tractor? Get a Reva & India tools also! View attachment 759758
In high school that car would be a chick magnet maybe as powerful of one as a 69 Camaro with solid lifters was back in the day when men were men and sheep knew it.

/ First electric tractor ride #150  
In high school that car would be a chick magnet maybe as powerful of one as a 69 Camaro with solid lifters was back in the day when men were men and sheep knew it.
Looks like a 4 wheel casket to me. Impacting a large Horse Fly would total it...