Flail Mower bottom paint

/ Flail Mower bottom paint #1  

CharlieDelta

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I have just finished changing bearings on the flail mower shaft.

I have cleaned up the bottom of grass and mud. Since I am down there, I thought that I would clean some surface grass and mud and give it a good paint job. Certainly the crap enamel paint that came from the Chinese factory is not fit for purpose.

What would be a good paint to use considering the punishment that it will get. I would also like to paint it with something that does not attract mud and grass to stick on it. Would bitumen paint be suitable? The other alternative is a fish oil treatment without painting? I am not sure.

/ Flail Mower bottom paint #2  
CD, I am not aware of any paint grass and mud will not stick to. But am curious as to what brand mower and which bearings? Rear roller or on the drum?

/ Flail Mower bottom paint #3  
I have just finished changing bearings on the flail mower shaft.

I have cleaned up the bottom of grass and mud. Since I am down there, I thought that I would clean some surface grass and mud and give it a good paint job. Certainly the crap enamel paint that came from the Chinese factory is not fit for purpose.

What would be a good paint to use considering the punishment that it will get. I would also like to paint it with something that does not attract mud and grass to stick on it. Would bitumen paint be suitable? The other alternative is a fish oil treatment without painting? I am not sure.
The only way you will avoid mud and grass sticking to the inner flail mower shroud
is to line it with UMHW slick sheet material and secure it with short carriage bolts,
nylock nuts and flat washers with the carriage bolt heads mounted on the inside.

The only way painting will work is if the underside of the mower is washed with hot
water after each mowing to dissolve and wash away the fine grass dust and fine
stubble that becomes attached to the shroud due to the fine grass and wet grass
sticking to the flail mower shroud.

/ Flail Mower bottom paint
CD, I am not aware of any paint grass and mud will not stick to. But am curious as to what brand mower and which bearings? Rear roller or on the drum?
Its a Generic Chinese EFGC155. The bearings that I changed on the flail drum. The bearings were the standard UC207. They are a pillow insert bearing. I requested help on how to remove them on the forum and got a reply. The bearing is twisted out rather than pressed in or out. It is a flawed design because unlike the standard pillow roller bearings that has a external grease nipple that will get grease into bearing you cant get grease into a sealed bearing in this design. You need a bearing with 1 metal shield removed so that greased can be pumped in.

They did a stupid thing, they removed 1 of the bearing shields and used an external grease nipple with a oil seal to hold the grease in. But its easy to for the grease to wash out or get dirt in the bearings. The proper pillow bearing has an external nipple syringe sized grease holes that allows you to pump grease into the bearing.

OK on the paint. I will just use standard anti corrosion paint and leave it at that. Something like red oxide thats cheap.

Thanks

The only way you will avoid mud and grass sticking to the inner flail mower shroud
is to line it with UMHW slick sheet material and secure it with short carriage bolts,
nylock nuts and flat washers with the carriage bolt heads mounted on the inside.

The only way painting will work is if the underside of the mower is washed with hot
water after each mowing to dissolve and wash away the fine grass dust and fine
stubble that becomes attached to the shroud due to the fine grass and wet grass
sticking to the flail mower shroud.
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into the UMHW sheet option. But it seems like a lot of work. I have to slash the property so might leave it till next winter.

I have pressure washed the bottom and its pristine clean now, but its rusty on the mild steel.
A family member who does 4wd off road driving suggested that I use mud guard under body paint from the auto store. I will look into that option as well.

I am running out of time so may just give it a blast of cheap red oxide primer and spray some fish oil over the primer.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions its all something worthwhile to consider.

Happy new to all!

/ Flail Mower bottom paint #6  
Not sure if they got a Rhinolining place in your neck of the down under, but you could try that option and have them spray it like a truck bed liner.

/ Flail Mower bottom paint #7  
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into the UMHW sheet option. But it seems like a lot of work. I have to slash the property so might leave it till next winter.

I have pressure washed the bottom and its pristine clean now, but its rusty on the mild steel.
A family member who does 4wd off road driving suggested that I use mud guard under body paint from the auto store. I will look into that option as well.

I am running out of time so may just give it a blast of cheap red oxide primer and spray some fish oil over the primer.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions its all something worthwhile to consider.

Happy new to all!
Please be careful clearing the slash, I don't want to worry about you making
a yowie on a walkabout mad my friend.

Please be careful clearing the slash, I don't want to worry about you making
a yowie on a walkabout mad my friend.
Thanks, I am used to dancing around cut brown snakes on a hot day. I should be good!

Thanks, that product is available locally. I am planning on just spraying a etch primer on it and then blast it with fish oil just as initial treatment. When winter comes around I will do more research on other products and things like the Rustoleom bottom paint. Another farmer suggested that I just mix some beach sand with everyday paint which gives the paint some resilience and acts as a binder against chipping etc.

A lot of good ideas but thanks all for the ideas. I have just packed the grease into bearings and put in the oil/grease seals. The whole housing is loaded with grease. Hopefully this will last another 5 years with Japanese sealed bearings.