Flat face hydraulic connectors are better?

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #31  
If you are saying the same connector locks up every time then I suggest the connector is defective. If you are saying the 3rd function system locks up and which connector freezes up varies then I suggest it's something to do with your 3rd function system. In neither case do I think it happens only because you have FF connectors. Curious situation indeed.

The couplers have been replaced twice in an attempt to solve the riddle. I have no clue why it happens but it certainly does. Always the male and always cured by cracking that hose connector on the tractor, not on the bucket. With the slight leak on each bucket cylinder I don't believe it could hold pressure if it wanted to.

Everything in the third function seems to work perfectly and I have not found any mis-routed hose or anything odd. Shortly after I bought it, and reported the condition to the dealer/distributor, he sent two mechanics up to check the system and they found the same situation, the line was holding pressure for some reason. They replaced the couplers and the same with the new ones. It is not the end of the world, just a minor inconvenience.

There must be something to couplers of both designs holding pressure or they wouldn't make various tools to release pressure, like this one:

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #32  
I'm probably going to install one of these to relieve pressure on the line so I don't have to always crack the line open - not very good for that connection really. These are good to 5000+ PSI and are only $40 at Surplus Center.

1 forecast.jpg

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #33  
Not exactly. If you go through their material at least some of the connectors include a pressure release system that allows the pressure to be released before the main part of the connector is seated.

Very interesting. I've never used one. Would be interesting to see someone post a video explaining and demonstrating how they work!!!

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #34  
I'm probably going to install one of these to relieve pressure on the line so I don't have to always crack the line open - not very good for that connection really. These are good to 5000+ PSI and are only $40 at Surplus Center.

View attachment 546165

I've heard of others here on TBN doing such a thing.

So your problem has to be on the tractor side?? Is your 3rd function a diverter system?

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #36  
I call it a 3rd function but it is actually a diverter valve (either open or close or curl, not both).

Yep. That's considered 3rd function. Trying to imagine that system and whether something in the diverter valve could be holding pressure.

Just brainstorming here. To release pressure I shut off the tractor, then turn the key back to "on" to activate the circuit to the electronic over hydraulic 3rd function, then wiggle the joystick and repeatedly push the buttons, then turn ignition back "off" and disconnect. When I reconnect I repeat this process to relieve any pressure that has developed on the tractor side since disconnect. I've never had a pressure problem on the tractor side using that method.

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #37  
Yep. That's considered 3rd function. Trying to imagine that system and whether something in the diverter valve could be holding pressure.

Just brainstorming here. To release pressure I shut off the tractor, then turn the key back to "on" to activate the circuit to the electronic over hydraulic 3rd function, then wiggle the joystick and repeatedly push the buttons, then turn ignition back "off" and disconnect. When I reconnect I repeat this process to relieve any pressure that has developed on the tractor side since disconnect. I've never had a pressure problem on the tractor side using that method.

Yup, precisely what I do, to no avail. The solenoid functions, the bucket opens slightly etc. But there is still some residual pressure on that line somewhere. I also hook the two bucket hoses together after I disconnect - keeps them clean and should also make a larger circuit for temperature changes - but again, the problem is tractor side not bucket side - I can connect and disconnect the bucket hoses together without an issue.

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #38  
Yup, precisely what I do, to no avail. The solenoid functions, the bucket opens slightly etc. But there is still some residual pressure on that line somewhere. I also hook the two bucket hoses together after I disconnect - keeps them clean and should also make a larger circuit for temperature changes - but again, the problem is tractor side not bucket side - I can connect and disconnect the bucket hoses together without an issue.

Very odd. I hope you someday stumble onto a solution. If so, please post it. My curiosity is peaked!!!!!

In regards to tractor side residual pressure, the most important function is releasing the pressure on the tractor before trying to reconnect.

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #39  
Very interesting. I've never used one. Would be interesting to see someone post a video explaining and demonstrating how they work!!!

Richard,

See this page: DP | Stucchi - Quick couplings

The video is 2/3 of the way down the page. The pressure relief part is at 1 min. into the video. Looks very slick. Also very expensive. :eek:

/ Flat face hydraulic connectors are better? #40  
The couplers have been replaced twice in an attempt to solve the riddle. I have no clue why it happens but it certainly does. Always the male and always cured by cracking that hose connector on the tractor, not on the bucket. With the slight leak on each bucket cylinder I don't believe it could hold pressure if it wanted to.

Everything in the third function seems to work perfectly and I have not found any mis-routed hose or anything odd. Shortly after I bought it, and reported the condition to the dealer/distributor, he sent two mechanics up to check the system and they found the same situation, the line was holding pressure for some reason. They replaced the couplers and the same with the new ones. It is not the end of the world, just a minor inconvenience.

There must be something to couplers of both designs holding pressure or they wouldn't make various tools to release pressure, like this one:

[video]

The video you showed is for an AG style connector not a FF pressure release tool.
If you have a design issue with your equipment that keeps pressure on the line so that it cannot be bled off that is a real issue that you have to deal with but I would imagine that it would be far worse with an AG style (ISO 5675 and ISO 7241-1 Series B) connector than with a FF. FF connectors are designed to be easier to use with residual pressure.

Have you ever disconnected and then immediately tried to reconnect as an experiment or do you always have several days/weeks that intervene before you go back to change again? If not give that a try and see if it is different. I presume this is on your LS G3038.

I have multiple 1 " FF running 45 gpm at 4000psi and I have no issue whatsoever on one piece of equipment I also have 1/2" FF on the front of my tractor. I have a total of 13 ISO 7241-1 Series B connectors on the back (some male some female) of the tractor. Needless to say I have a fair number of hydraulic connections for what I do. I do like Stucchi FF connectors.