Fluids for T474HC?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #51  
Congratulations, you found a mistake done by me. You win the internet for a whole day. ON the other hand since we were talking about a TYM and jumping subjects here. Hydraulics on the TYM is BPT standard.
Sweet.

Is there like a plaque or something?

Coupon?

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Used the tractor a bit today without any issues. Used the tree puller to pull up two tangerine tree carcasses that got killed by the cold snap we had last Christmas. Then pulled out a pine tree stump I had cut off at about chest high a while back.

Fluid dye for the hydraulic system is supposed to be delivered on Friday. Curious to see what that shows me.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #53  
Used the tractor a bit today without any issues. Used the tree puller to pull up two tangerine tree carcasses that got killed by the cold snap we had last Christmas. Then pulled out a pine tree stump I had cut off at about chest high a while back.

Fluid dye for the hydraulic system is supposed to be delivered on Friday. Curious to see what that shows me.
When you add it, use a full load of dye using a drop counter (Not the whole bottle of dye, a little goes A LONG way), then run your tractor so the hydraulic oil mixes well with it for 15-20 minutes. (Only decent picture that showed in my search for what I mean)

410D8mGbmUL.jpg

(Only good picture I could find searching.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
When you add it, use a full load of dye using a drop counter (Not the whole bottle of dye, a little goes A LONG way), then run your tractor so the hydraulic oil mixes well with it for 15-20 minutes. (Only decent picture that showed in my search for what I mean)

View attachment 825537
(Only good picture I could find searching.

Well, I got the bottle of hydraulic fluid dye yesterday, but when I read the instructions, well, looks like what I got might be a bit underpowered for the 9+ gallons of hydraulic fluid that is supposed to be in my tractor. Pics attached.
hydraulic dye 01.jpg

hydraulic dye 02.jpg

hydraulic dye 03.jpg

So, will this be enough for me to see the color change to tell me if I am overfilled or not? Or do I need to order another one to put both loads of dye in?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #55  
I don't even think I would put in that whole bottle, despite what the label says. All you need is enough to put a slight color to the fluid. It doesn't need to be "coffee brown".

Try a few ounces first, and drive the tractor around, raise and lower the 3pt and the FEL, to circulate fluid everywhere. Then shut everything down and lower your 3pt and FEL and go look in the glass.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #56  
Rich, I've actually gone through this, just trust what I said in post #53. Using the whole bottle is wasting it for next service batch. At best use half of the container if it makes you feel better....but let the tractor run for 15-20 so hydraulic oil get hot and mix with the dye. It's VERY potent, and don't get it on clothes you appreciate.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Rich, I've actually gone through this, just trust what I said in post #53. Using the whole bottle is wasting it for next service batch. At best use half of the container if it makes you feel better....but let the tractor run for 15-20 so hydraulic oil get hot and mix with the dye. It's VERY potent, and don't get it on clothes you appreciate.
Well, perhaps John Deere would rather sell a LOT of that dye instead of just a little bit? Sure, use the whole bottle and buy more for each time you want to dye the hydraulic fluid. :)

But this has me thinking. In what specific situation is the hydraulic fluid at the red dot mark actually showing FULL for the hydraulic fluid level? It can't be true in ALL situations, can it? Some people might not have a FEL on the tractor. The cylinders of the FEL could be retracted or extended. Any number of different types of attachments and implements using hydraulics could be installed on the tractor, and in those cases, the cylinders could be extended or retracted. So is there a single solitary condition, and ONLY that condition, in which that red dot indicator is truly accurate for showing FULL? I have looked through the manual, and if it is mentioned there, I sure did overlook it.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
I don't even think I would put in that whole bottle, despite what the label says. All you need is enough to put a slight color to the fluid. It doesn't need to be "coffee brown".

Try a few ounces first, and drive the tractor around, raise and lower the 3pt and the FEL, to circulate fluid everywhere. Then shut everything down and lower your 3pt and FEL and go look in the glass.

You say "a few ounces". Are you getting a different sized bottle than I got? Mine is only holding 12 mL of dye. So the whole bottle I have is only 0.4 ounces TOTAL. So for me to put in a couple of ounces, that would take at least 5 bottles of the size I got.

hydraulic dye 04.jpg

/ Fluids for T474HC? #59  
You say "a few ounces". Are you getting a different sized bottle than I got? Mine is only holding 12 mL of dye. So the whole bottle I have is only 0.4 ounces TOTAL. So for me to put in a couple of ounces, that would take at least 5 bottles of the size I got.

View attachment 825998
Ah, metric system is evil.

Lol.

When I looked at the label, I was thinking "ounces", when in fact it reads mL.

I would start with 1/4 of the bottle. That could be enough to tint the fluid to see it well enough. It shouldn't take much, really.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Man, I don't know what to think. I added the bottle of hydraulic fluid dye I had. Surprisingly it was more of a red/maroon color. I expected it to be green. Anyway, I added in the whole bottle, then drove the tractor around a bit to mix it in with the hydraulic fluid. It took a while before I saw any change, and when I did, it wasn't what I was expecting at all. What I saw through the sight glass was the colored fluid dripping down from the three holes at the top of that metal piece showing there. I had expected I was either going to see no change meaning the fluid level was not high enough to show in the window, or that the entire window would show the newly changed colored fluid, with the fluid being overfilled covering the entire window. So of course I didn't have my camera handy.

I drew in an approximation of what I saw in the window as best I could.

hydraulic sight window 09_30_2023 closeup_after dye added.jpg

The color wasn't that brilliant, of course, and I am no artist, but the effect is pretty much what I saw. If the sight glass were filled with hydraulic fluid, how could this sort of effect be produced? The dyed hydraulic fluid wouldn't be thicker nor heavier than the undyed fluid, so how could this visual effect take place.

I did go to the house and get my camera, but by the time I got back, the visual effect had changed quite a bit.

after dye added 01.jpg

The dyed fluid has dripped down that metal face, and you can still see the gold color still visible as narrow vertical streaks between that dyed fluid that seem to have dripped down over the face of the metal. Wouldn't the dye have pretty much been distributed uniformly all through the hydraulic fluid instead of dripping through those holes?

Of course, now I am wondering if that metal piece visible through the sight window has been permanently stained from the dye.

I tried using an actual engine dip stick into the hydraulic fluid fill hole, but I could feel the tip of it slide along the bottom of the reservoir pan. Not sure how to get an actual accurate reading of the fluid level in that manner.

Man I hate the thought if getting underneath the tractor and draining the fluid into containers just to see how much comes out. That is likely going to be a real messy job. Plus I am just getting to feeling too old to be crawling on my back underneath the thing to do something like that.

Anyone know how much hydraulic fluid is in the T474 when it is delivered to the dealer from TYM? I imagine they don't fill up the reservoir and have the dealer do that upon delivery.