Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #61  
I have a 1715 and had similar pto orc problems. I read all the discussions regarding this issue on this site plus a few others and was convinced that I needed to replace the ORC so went to the local NH dealer to check availability of parts and to get price estimates. I experienced the problem of the PTO disengaging while using a rotary mower, however, one thing I noticed was the warmer the tractor got the less the PTO would disengage. I saw no mention of this in all of my reading. After discussing my problem with the shop manager at the dealership, he seemed to think that the problem was not the ORC and that I should start disassembling the tractor and look at everything closely as it was removed. I got to thinking about it and realized that this whole problem started about the same time that I did an oil change on the transmission which was about a year and a half ago and I didn't use NH 134, so I changed the oil again using NH 134. I recently completed two weeks of mowing and had no PTO disengagement problems. An oil change it a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the ORC so it's a good place to start.

FB

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #62  
I reassembled the tractor on Saturday, had to wait for the gaskets to come in and the liquid gasket to cure. Today I picked up the gaskets and installed them, filled the tractor with NH 134 and reassembled the rest of it (The dealer even tried to talk me into some cheaper fluid he had there I respectfully declined his suggestion). Surprise! no more disengagement issues! I hooked up the brush hog and everything worked as it should. Boy am I glad that I didn't bring it to the dealer, saved myself a good chunk of change by tackling the project myself, maybe the wife will let me buy another implement with the money I saved :eek: (NOT)!

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #63  
Thanks for the PM Joe, I guess I will have to eat the crow :eek: which I gladly will. My wife never allows me to take sweat equity I earn doing different thing for myself and it has to go toward good of the family, Although she bought my Kubota for the 30 year anniversary. Funny thing is she offered the kubota man 50%of MSRP , cash now and the dealer guy was at a loss for word, lol.

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #64  
I ran the 60" New Holland 716GC today for over an hour and everything worked perfectly, only thing left to fix is a burnt out light fuse because I hooked up the fender lights backwards, I hate electrical crap lol.

Attachments

• DSC08961.jpg
    DSC08961.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,113
   / Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #65  
Joe, Glad to hear that things are working out for you. I did about four hours of mowing yesterday and so far the PTO is working fine (knock on wood).
Brian

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #66  
Thanks for the info, I wish I had just tried swapping the fluid from the start. I too was convinced that the ORC was the problem because everything I read and the dealer I went to that gave me the TSB told me that it was the ORC every time. I gained an intimate knowledge of how the tractor works now and purchased a shop manual which will come in handy down the road I am sure. I also am confident that I should be able to repair this tractor should it need anything in the future. I'm used to working on ATV's Cars and Motorcycles, I would say that they are made of Lego and tractors are made of Duplo after this expierence. (childrens toys, Duplo is large building block pieces for toddlers and Lego is small building block pieces for older kids) I'm sure glad my parents bought me a lot of Lego Technic kits (contain engines, gears, axels and pnumatic pistons) when I was a kid I feel like that developed the mechanical abilities I have today.

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #67  
As a fellow 1715 owner, where did you buy your shop manual from?

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #68  
It was a download, most of the manual is about the 1510, but the last part is the 1715 info for the parts of the tractor that differ, I can't remember where I got it from, I believe it was a google find.

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #69  
I realize this is an old thread but I have this same problem, just got this 1715, the man I got it from said the pto would stay engaged once u got it in , , well thats true if your just going forward, but when I start going rev to forward it disengages, the shifter itself feels sloppy like the detente ball is not engging in the notches,,im fairly mech inclined, just need to know where to start, do you have to remove the top off the tranmission to get to this or can it be accessed from plate on the bottom of the trans,,ive been looking at the parts diagram on the NH site,,,thanks for any help,,

/ Ford 1715 PTO Clutch Adjusment -- Help #70  
I wondered if you have a broken Spring behind the detent ball that causes the pto to jump out of staying fully engaged.