forgeing splines using a axle and press

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press
That might work if I had the tooling. About the only thing I could use to reach the end of the axle would be my boring bar. That would make the bar stick out so far it would probably flex like a guitar string. One day I might buy a grinder for the lathe.

This thread could use some pics...:D

No pic of the fish, I catch and release, :laughing::laughing:
Right now, I have parts scattered around the shop, but once I stick a few parts together, I will take a pic or two. Got to head out to do a little grade work today.

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #43  
That might work if I had the tooling. About the only thing I could use to reach the end of the axle would be my boring bar. That would make the bar stick out so far it would probably flex like a guitar string. One day I might buy a grinder for the lathe.
Yeah. A 1st time setup is quite an adventure. Depending on what your particular from scratch situation is it could be quite daunting.

I have never had to go as far as what Iv suggested to you, but the setups Iv made to do grinding are "money in the bank" and would be adaptable. The only savior is the low forces required even for hard steel. Actual machining, producing chips, would be impossible "out there". I dont have a tool post grinder. Instead I use an air die grinder or even a Dremel driving a cut off disc. The grinder is used essentially strapped to a tool holder on an Aloris tool post. The slot in the holder provides an adequate horizontal guide notch for the cylindrical grinder body for the forces involved. The ability for precise adjustment and motion lets you get away with a lot in terms of how robust an attachment method is required, and also provides an inherently secure structure on which to beef up the fixture platform where necessary.​

Got me a 1 3/8 bore hub for the end of the axle. The axle is actually a press fit into the hub. I heated the hub with torch and knocked it on with my BFH. Just for future reference, the axle did actully cut some splines in the hub. The splines are tapered on the end of the axle so its not a clean broach cut, but the hub is splined. I plan on grinding the end of the axle splines square so they will cut more as they pass thru the hub. The splines wont be full depth in the hub, but should be enough with the ground out keyway to hold. I sprayed the end of the shaft with paint to mark where the keyway had to be cut. I tried to center between two splines when I knocked the hub on. If I have a steady hand, I should end up with about half a spline on each side of the keyway slot.

Attachments

• Resized_20190503_121910.jpeg
    Resized_20190503_121910.jpeg
    947.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Resized_20190503_122140.jpeg
    Resized_20190503_122140.jpeg
    923.8 KB · Views: 88
   / forgeing splines using a axle and press #45  
I think your plan is going to work well, especially with every spline digging into the hub a little bit.

If you have a mill, in a few minutes you could modify your key stock into a step key- where the key width protruding into the spline's OD is narrower than the key width in the hub. Less grinding on your spline and stronger adjacent spline teeth afterward.

Attachments

• 62F487A0-16E1-43FB-92E0-46122247B926.jpeg
    62F487A0-16E1-43FB-92E0-46122247B926.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84
I have bought step keys before, I dont know if I can find a step from 5/16 down to the size of the splines, about 1/8 give or take a few feet. I havent measured, yet, but I am pretty sure the 5/16 is going to go deeper than the current splines. Had to stop work and plant my sweet corn today. Its trying its best to rain.

I have bought step keys before, I dont know if I can find a step from 5/16 down to the size of the splines, about 1/8 give or take a few feet. I havent measured, yet, but I am pretty sure the 5/16 is going to go deeper than the current splines. Had to stop work and plant my sweet corn today. Its trying its best to rain.

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #48  
It may be too late but if you could get the differential side gear that goes to your axle it would fit the splines of the axle and you could machine down the gear teeth to fit your hub.

Thought of the axle gear, but I dont have it and dont even know what the axle and tube are out of.

Got the key way cut in the axle. Have to press the hub on the axle, which is a good thing. Then laid out the cyl and drew out a pattern to drill my steering arm. The pic show the cyl on the table laid out over the proposed pin holes. One cyl will push and one will pull.

Attachments

• Resized_20190504_132113.jpeg
    Resized_20190504_132113.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • Resized_20190504_132446.jpeg
    Resized_20190504_132446.jpeg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Resized_20190504_142209.jpeg
    Resized_20190504_142209.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 79

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New Portable Toilet Double Stall (A34302)
New Portable...
Life Fitness 95CI Stationary Bicycle, (A33079)
Life Fitness 95CI...
Dorsey 45' Van Work Trailer, Sliding Axle, Budd Wheels, Roll-Up Door  NO TI (A33349)
Dorsey 45' Van...
2018 Komatsu D39PX-24 Crawler Tractor Dozer (A32932)
2018 Komatsu...
2013 John Deere 640FD Draper Head (A33783)
2013 John Deere...
2016 Ford Transit Connect Cargo Van (A32932)
2016 Ford Transit...