forgeing splines using a axle and press

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #11  
Can't see how many teeth.

Here's a link to specs on a 1 3/8" OD with 20 teeth. Yours is probably a standard spline and if you can identify it, you might find an inexpensive female component that is off the shelf at Graingers, Bearings Incorporated, or McMaster-Carr type of businesses.

GrabCAD

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #12  
What you might consider is to make the broached pieces out of .250". Make about 4 of them just big enough for the splines, grind the dross off so they lay flat, sandwich them on the axle and tack. Center your .500" bar between and stitch it up.
Using thinner material makes it easier to punch the splines without buggering up the axle end, and stacking several gives more contact area so it shouldn't waller out later on.

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #13  
Shafts with keyways and set screws are common and can be bought or made. And transmit a lot of power. Me, I would throw away the axle and find an easier thing to make.:)

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press
If it's mild steel plate why not just hand file the splines in? Marking it out and using a good file it would not take long to rough it out. How long it takes to finish depends on how accurate you want your splines.

No plans to do that much filing, ever. I know it would work, but I aint that dedicated.

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #15  
Another way to do this is to weld your arm to a 4 inch square piece of 3/8 plate, then bolt that to the thing that is supposed to rotate.

Shafts with keyways and set screws are common and can be bought or made. And transmit a lot of power. Me, I would throw away the axle and find an easier thing to make.:)

Well, I could cut the cap off the axle and throw the shaft away. then find a torsion bar out of a chevy truck and weld to the cap. Then I could cut a turning arm and attach to the torsion shaft. Attach my cylinders and have a boom with double bearings with power swing, hyd lift and a winch. Wait, that sounds like more work than just attaching a turning arm to my current axle. a axle that is proven to withstand a lot of torque

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #17  
There is at least two ways to think about this. One is, I have an axle, what can I do with it, Another is, I have a mechanical problem, how can I efficiently solve it. It is possible but unlikely that the same answer will work for both questions.

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #18  
You could have done it some way in the time it took you to type. Lol.
I like flyerdan’s idea.

Don’t make us come down there and do it for you.! You won’t be impressed with the beer bill. :D

Couldnt do it today, to busy playing with the new great grand baby. Had 5 generations over taking pictures. I know I am making excuses, but I was just dieing to do a little bragging.:cloud9:

/ forgeing splines using a axle and press #20  
You could have done it some way in the time it took you to type. Lol.
I like flyerdan’s idea.

Don’t make us come down there and do it for you.! You won’t be impressed with the beer bill. :D

Come on now. It is not like its a rounded drain plug. We can give him a few days!