found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #11  
Id stay away from that at any price its small primers you get that mixed in with your regular brass and it will not be a good day to load especially if you have a case feeder. Fact I would like to slap the joker that dreamed that one up must be a politician:laughing: .

About like running a berdan primed Wolf steel cased thru your dillon 650.... crunch...%&^^() oh well.:D

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #12  
Are you trimming your straight walls?

!

i periodically check straight wall brass but almost never have to trim it. I trim all bottleneck brass.

the only straight walls I've had to trim are belted magnums.

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #13  
About like running a berdan primed Wolf steel cased thru your dillon 650.... crunch...%&^^() oh well.:D

how bout them hidden ones. brass but berdan..

( oddly enough.. I have seen steel case and boxer. go figure.. :)

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #14  
how bout them hidden ones. brass but berdan..

( oddly enough.. I have seen steel case and boxer. go figure.. :)

I know.. Tula 5.56 is boxer primed.. why? it is still steel cased (pretty hard on a trimmer :) not to mention a sizing die..ha!) and I though one reason for Berdan was the the primers were slightly cheaper to make with having the anvil in the case. I have seen guys load the aluminum blazer stuff even though it is sort of berdan primed, but you can punch thru it with the decapper and turn it into boxer (sort of) I dunno how much of a good idea that is, but I have seen it done. And no I have never trimmed any straight walled pistol cases. In my opinion they dont need it. and I know I personally have loaded some over 10 times.. Especially .45 acp last a long time because it is a low pressure round. 9MM/38 super not so long. I found one old Frankford arsenal .45 in my range pickups that was headstamped 34.. as in 1934.. yep and I had loaded it. I put it up, somewhere, I think I still have it. But it can last a long time. They split the mouth when they get too thin and overworked.. that is how they fail.

James K0UA

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #15  
i know some guys that have the lil 2 tip rcbs berdan primer 'rip out' tool, and reprime their berdan brass. havn't seen any locally.. but you used to be able to get berdan primes with medium hassle.

I've also seen duys take a small endmill. mill out the anvil, and drill a central primer flash hole..

i'm not into that much cutting on a case head. that's way to close to body parts.

I also know some guys that will , on a limited basis, reload that boxer steel. they only do the unlaqured cases such as the zinc or polymer greased ones. I imagine they are doing them with throw away lee dies too. ( this was for 223 and 762x39 )

I'd have to be desperate to reloadd steel or aluminum... or mod a primer pocket like that.

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #16  
Just my 2 cents' worth,
But if I accidently pick up a small primer brass, I'll just toss it in the trash can. I visually check all my brass after tumbling.
In case you're wondering, Yes, I'm a "hull *****." :D I pick up empty brass and shotshells anytime I go to a range.

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #17  
Just my 2 cents' worth,
But if I accidently pick up a small primer brass, I'll just toss it in the trash can. I visually check all my brass after tumbling.
In case you're wondering, Yes, I'm a "hull *****." :D I pick up empty brass and shotshells anytime I go to a range.

i have been called worse than a "brass *****".. :D

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #18  
i keep ALL good brass.. small primer or not. guess i'm not a *****.. probably a ****. I do it for free. ;)

seriously. no big deal to sefgregate small primer brass and do a quick batch. OR trade it to someone who uses small primer brass. I know a guy that relaods small primer 45acp. he will trade you 2-1 thru the mail for your small primer. ie. you mail him a batch of small primer, and he'll giuve you half that qty in large primer.

as for tossig? i don't toss ANYTHING.

I have 2 buckets at my bench. bad brass goes in 1, and accidental steel pickups goes in the other.

brass and steel recycle prices are HIGH

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #19  
At major matches where you act as Range Officer, you can "clean up" on your stage. The only real Payment for the RO's is to be able to clean up the brass. At a normal local monthly match the competitors pickup their own brass, but at a major match the RO's get it. Most major matches will have at least 100 competitors, sometimes many more. And most stages will have 20- 30 to 40 rounds per competitor. So you are looking at a bunch of brass laying there at the end. You can pick it up yourself and either sell it or keep it, or I have just "sold the rights" to others for an agreed upon price and let them pick it up. Brass will always have value, sometime quite a bit of value.
James K0UA

/ found some .45 ACP Pistol Brass #20  
Here is what I did setting a primer in a pocket that was too small. After looking at the case that I taped to the side for posterity I see it was a military 9mm with a swagged primer pocket that was caused by me accidentally mixing range brass with my stock bad me. I knew better I have done it before and detonated the one I was setting but never had a chain reaction like this Dillon called it a chain fire fwtw. Right where the knurled piece is the tube is swelled up and shows roughly how many went off 20 or so.

Anyway regardless how it happens having a primer go off 12-18" from your face is one thing on a progressive it could be up to a hundred yikes but getting a small primer 45 case could do the same exact thing to the next guy maybe even me be careful! Oh and my reloading room used to be my daughters if you wonder about the pics on the wall haha when she went off to college I moved my stuff in left some things like I found them. I even commandeered her desk to mount that loader.

Attachments

• Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 002 (1280x960).jpg
    Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 002 (1280x960).jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 004 (1280x960).jpg
    Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 004 (1280x960).jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 006 (1280x960).jpg
    Primer magazine issue 2013-06-14 006 (1280x960).jpg
    676 KB · Views: 52