frozen clutch

/ frozen clutch #1  

blake vedder

Tractor
ford 8n kubota john deere and a toro
I need some ideas unfreezing a Clutch that's been frozen for about 10 years

Last edited:
   / frozen clutch #2  
Put the tractor in a gear and rock it forward and back. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Start with a higher gear and move to a lower gear if that doesn't work. High gear is typically 1:1.

/ frozen clutch #3  
Welcome Blake. Assuming you mean clutch won't release when pedal is depressed. So that you know what caused this,the clutch disk is stuck to friction surface of pressure plate by rust. Some people pull a plow while holding pedal down and others load clutch in other ways. If the operator is highly experienced operating tractors,that works. It is dangerous for casual operators so i reccomend a more time consuming but much safer method. Start by putting shifter in high gear,tie pedal down into fully depressed position then using a rear wheel rock tractor hard as you can. Leave pedal tied down and sometimes plate will pop loose in a few days but each time you walk by,rock tractor to see if has released and if not,rocking might cause it to. If you run out of patience,leave pedal tied down and remove inspection plate beneath flywheel if tractor has a plate. If no plate,remove starter and work through hole to pry plate loose. DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF OIL<SOLVENT OR ANYTHING ELSE ON OR NEAR CLUTCH.

/ frozen clutch #4  
The quick dirty easy way to do this is to figure out where the clutch disc is relative to the bell housing and drill a 1" hole through the side of the bell housing. While depressing the clutch pedal hammer a screwdriver in between the clutch disc and whatever it is rusted too. You might have to turn the flywheel to several positions to get all around the disc before it releases. This method will not work with a recessed disc in the flywheel. It only works on a flat flywheel. Once everything is operating normally again close up the hole you made with a frost plug.

Several mostly successful slower ways have already been described so I won't go into them.

Lastly split the tractor and replace or clean up the pressure plate, disc and flywheel and put everything back together.

There three options and I'll bet there's more that I haven't thought of.

/ frozen clutch #6  
I would spray some vodka on a clutch thru the hole. I'm spraying vodka nearly every day around the door rubber and on a windshield of my car. It really helps. Maybe it'll help to unstick a clutch too? Never tried.

/ frozen clutch #8  
I had a friend with an 8n that had the same problem. They started it in high gear and drove it around and masked the brakes. Freed up after a few times.

/ frozen clutch #9  
Better yet, chain it to a stout tree with some slack in the chain, put it in high gear, depress the pedal, hammer the throttle and hang on. When it gets to the end of the chain, something will give, one way or another.

/ frozen clutch
Better yet, chain it to a stout tree with some slack in the chain, put it in high gear, depress the pedal, hammer the throttle and hang on. When it gets to the end of the chain, something will give, one way or another.
thats a good idea i hope i can hold on