Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #81  
Thank you!

For the key way, I just mounted the part on the tool post where usually the cutter is mounted. Just used some brass shims not to damage the part with the set screws. Since it's a quick change tool post, I could easily adjust the height to insure that the key way was on center.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #82  
This is my bridgeport doppelganger:

IMG_20200331_090836.jpg

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #83  
ptsg and GeneV, nice pictures. Every guy needs a mill and lathe for projects.

ptsg, great job on making the shaft, a person does what they have to do with what they have to do it with. I remember when I had my head apart I noticed the shaft didn't extend into the casting which I thought might be a weak spot in the design. Plus, I had a heck of a time getting that shaft out.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #84  
Thanks Reb!

I'm used to have to things with what I have in hand. I have only minimal tooling that gets me going but I've been very slowly buying the essential tools over the time.

I've only got my first lathe 5 years ago. Before that I used to improvise a lot when I needed round parts for my projects. Having the lathe, completely changed the way I did things on my projects.

And yes, the shaft on mine was also a pain to get out. You can see the marks of the chisel so I could get it out. What happens is that the set screw that locks the shaft in place, creates a burr on the groove and makes it a pain to get out.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #86  
Yup, I found the same thing on mine, a burr on the slot sides of the shaft. I chamfered them a bit so hopefully that helps if I ever have to take it out.

If I ever do have to take it out I will probably make a guide bushing so I can drill a shaft support hole in the other side as well as make a new harder shaft. There is a double set screw that holds the brass bushing for the feed mechanism that might be in the way though, I will have to double check that first.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #87  
I've bought plenty of end mills, equipment from these guys. They have a location in Mass. for quick shipping.

Mostly offshore Asian but works fine for my one of stuff and fixer uppers. Priced right, Grizzly is good also.

Wholesale Tool | Industrial Machinery + Tool Supply

Shars is an ok one-stop vendor for discount priced chinese stuff. I bought various things on there, drill bits and end mills, digital calipers, dial indicators, tool holders for my aloris quick-change post, carbide tooling, so on....most has been decent quality. Some drill bits I got from them have been crappy, but they just refunded me w/o any issues.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
Sure :thumbsup:

Here is a picture of my little machining corner. It's about a year old picture from when I completely re-organize the shop, hence the still clean bench. :)

I've since upgraded for a much heavier and bigger bench and the milling machine is slightly different as I build a power feed for the Z axis and re-designed the X axis power feed, both not pretty but work very good. Anyways, it's on the paint job waiting list along with it's cabinet.

View attachment 648466

Nice shop with plenty of wrenches. Now let me make a couple guesses here, 1>to cold to paint, 2> This guess will be a bit harder, wheres the the rebuilt shaft go, I say here or close by......
InkedIMG_20190128_153507_LI.jpg

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #90  
InkedIMG_20190128_153507_LI (2).jpg

A bit further right and to the back of the head. You used a pencil, I used a crayon. It is used to rotate the head to either side.

Now a bit of humor.
202003232019445e7919e03a27e.jpg