Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #341  
Never heard of a pump house before, my guess is, it's a house for a water pump.
Next problem will be, how am I going to lift those bags in the round thing when I'm 80...........
What do you call the little building that covers the pump in Maine?

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #343  
Yeah, didn't know how common pumphouse was? Mine's just a 8x8 plastic home depot shed in the yard with the holding tank and water softener stuff in it... the water softener stuff (two tank system) is all shot and the purge vales leak constantly instead of just when they're "regenerating" so they probably need replaced... They were put in in 2004...
Not too common up here in NY, too likely to freeze in the winter.

Aaron Z

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #344  
We call it a pump house here in my neck of the woods.
We call it a pump house, too. Not sure about the fake rocks for sale at Lowes. Maybe they're pump rocks?

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #345  
We get these 40lb bags for around 7-$8.00 so I'd say your doing good, nearest Culligan man for me is 70mi so not sure if I'd get the same bargain, but something to look into.
That's kinda pricy. I pay around $6 per bag of morton's solar salt.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #346  
Next problem will be, how am I going to lift those bags in the round thing when I'm 80...........

Use an engine hoist from HF. Hook the handles on the bag to the hoist. Position it over the round thingy and cut the bag open.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #347  
Around this part of Wyoming a pump house is used for irrigation pumps which are above ground pumps but they are shut off and drained each fall so they don't freeze. A well house would be for a well pump which is in the ground but the pressure tank is above ground. Around here it is pretty rare to see a well house due to the low temperatures we get. Instead the pressure tanks are put in the house, usually in the basement.

At a property I owned for 35 years but sold about 5 years ago I put in a well house after living there for about 20 years. The local community put in a water system that I wanted to hook up to but I wanted to also keep my well active. I buried a 6 foot diameter tank around the well casing with the casing lined up to the access hole in the top of the tank so I could pull the pump if needed. I moved the pressure tank from my basement to the well house and plumbed a hydrant to the well for watering the lawn during the summer so the well stayed active. Once the community system was in I plumbed both the well and community system so I could service the house from either one but they were kept separate from each other so I didn't get cross contamination. With the tank in the ground I didn't have to heat it and I didn't remove the snow over top of it so the snow acted as an insulator, 3 to 5 feet of snow provides a lot of insulation.

As far as your "Next problem", maybe your wife could handle the heavy and/or difficult tasks for you. ;)

Last edited:
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
Around this part of Wyoming a pump house is used for irrigation pumps which are above ground pumps but they are shut off and drained each fall so they don't freeze. A well house would be for a well pump which is in the ground but the pressure tank is above ground. Around here it is pretty rare to see a well house due to the low temperatures we get. Instead the pressure tanks are put in the house, usually in the basement.

At a property I owned for 35 years but sold about 5 years ago I put in a well house after living there for about 20 years. The local community put in a water system that I wanted to hook up to but I wanted to also keep my well active. I buried a 6 foot diameter tank around the well casing with the casing lined up to the access hole in the top of the tank so I could pull the pump if needed. I moved the pressure tank from my basement to the well house and plumbed a hydrant to the well for watering the lawn during the summer so the well stayed active. Once the community system was in I plumbed both the well and community system so I could service the house from either one but they were kept separate from each other so I didn't get cross contamination. With the tank in the ground I didn't have to heat it and I didn't remove the snow over top of it so the snow acted as an insulator, 3 to 5 feet of snow provides a lot of insulation.

As far as your "Next problem", maybe your wife could handle the heavy and/or difficult tasks for you.
;)
Interesting water set up, probably been around 50 years since I seen 3-5' of snow, I'm 20 mi from coast so big snow is rare probably been 10 years sense I seen 2-3', right now I have bout 10-12" of hard snow.

We dont want the wife in the next problem, thats the chief cook and bottle washer, dont want to break that she didn't come with a life time guaranty....

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
Use an engine hoist from HF. Hook the handles on the bag to the hoist. Position it over the round thingy and cut the bag open.
Now your talking my language, I'm thinking 6' jib crane........

z2iieFzh.jpg

hUJXFpeh.jpg

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #350  
Smaller bags, 40# or 25#.
Or get a five gallon bucket and fill it only as full as you want to lift.
Or pay a kid 5-$10 to fill the salt hopper when it gets low.