Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #101  
No it's not. The straight shaft still isnt $460..in fact is $10 more than your $230 echo.
You assume I have an Echo trimmer, I don't. I have an FS Stihl straight shaft and it was appreciably more than the Echo and I fully expect it to outlast me anyway.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #102  
I bought a husky 326LX and a maruyama (forget the number) solid steel shafts in both about 20 years ago.
Both are still running strong.
I have only had to replace the fuel lines on both twice in those 20 years.
They are likely to out last me !

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #103  
The curved shaft looks easier to edge a sidewalk... maybe a guy needs one of each?
Buy once, cry once. Look at the Stihl KM trimmer heads. You can put several different attachments on them. The KM 131 that I have is very powerful but they have a lower power model that still has plenty of power. You can add all kinds of stuff to these units. Edger, trimmer heads, chain saws, hedge trimmers, very versatile.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #104  
Buy once, cry once. Look at the Stihl KM trimmer heads. You can put several different attachments on them. The KM 131 that I have is very powerful but they have a lower power model that still has plenty of power. You can add all kinds of stuff to these units. Edger, trimmer heads, chain saws, hedge trimmers, very versatile.
Seems its a KM 131 we also have. Its heavy, but a good and powerful unit. I did a review of it on TBN somewhere...

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #105  
I also have the leaf blower attachment and man, has that been an awesome tool. I even use it to blow-off and clean my equipment after each use.

I have a string trimmer attachment, dedicated brush cutter attachment, dedicated saw blade attachment, prune chainsaw attachment, shaft extension attachment and the leaf blower attachment. It’s a very powerful and versatile piece of equipment and well worth the investment.

Mike

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #106  
Seems its a KM 131 we also have. Its heavy, but a good and powerful unit. I did a review of it on TBN somewhere...
I decided to go ahead with the KM131 based on your review and recommendations.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #107  
If you have Milwaukee tools and batteries, buy a Milwaukee string trimmer. I've had a Pro Husky 225R and a Stihl Kombi.

I have 7 acres, including a 1 acre yard. I wish they made the Milwaukee years ago and saved me all the years of hassle. I'm a power tool guy and love things with engines, but a gas string trimmer is a hassle and frustration I can do without. I was incredibly surprised at how well the Milwaukee trimmer works. It's lightweight, quiet, powerful and holds a ton of string. And it starts every time I depress the little trigger. I have a couple of the larger amp hour batteries and one battery will do my whole 1 acre yard.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #108  
If you have Milwaukee tools and batteries, buy a Milwaukee string trimmer. I've had a Pro Husky 225R and a Stihl Kombi.

I have 7 acres, including a 1 acre yard. I wish they made the Milwaukee years ago and saved me all the years of hassle. I'm a power tool guy and love things with engines, but a gas string trimmer is a hassle and frustration I can do without. I was incredibly surprised at how well the Milwaukee trimmer works. It's lightweight, quiet, powerful and holds a ton of string. And it starts every time I depress the little trigger. I have a couple of the larger amp hour batteries and one battery will do my whole 1 acre yard.
I second the trimmer and have 3 8AH batteries, which covers the amount of work I can do in one shot.
I do the front road area one day, the roads to the house the next and the yard a third day. Now I have some more area in the back woods, so that will be a forth day.
Once a month during the summer, about 2-3 hours each walk.

As long as I get to the heavy grass before it's full grown, have no issues with the trimmer bogging down, and the self feed, easy refill head works great.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #109  
Not to derail this, but is there a reason you want gas? I switched to a Dewalt 20 volt and would never go back to a gas unit. It seems to be one of the most appropriate uses of battery power for lawn equipment.
Electric here, I have the cheapo Walmart thing does well on lighter stuff, has decent runtime annnd, my wife will even use it. I agree with KennyG, I’ll never go back to a gas string trimmer

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #110  
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Depends on terrain, you might consider a walk behind.