Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #121  
I've used a Stihl FS-90 for the last twenty years. It will handle anything you want to tackle. I don't like string trimmers, so I use the Stihl head that has plastic blades. Works great.
Go buy the latest Stihl offering and see if it even remotely performs like your 20YO unit. I bet it doesn't. I used to use a Husky 225R trimmer/brush cutter for 20+ years. Everything I bought since (all Stihl or Husky pro models), are difficult to start, finicky on fuel, won't stay in tune, don't like to sit for any extended period, and have been a huge exercise in frustration.

I still use a Husky 550XP chainsaw, but for string trimmers, I went to a Milwaukee battery unit and have never regretted it.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #122  
20230219_134808.jpg

Stihl FS110 at play. I love my m18 trimmer, but it won't cut the vines, blackeberries, autumn olive and all the other stuff.
This area is about 1 acre and was a wall of vegetation.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #123  
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Stihl battery powered, is what I have and am quite happy with it.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #124  
For nasty, thick trimming, I highly recommend a DR trimmer. Might be speedy but sure does the job extremely well. They advertise in many magazines. Well built, good customer service.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #125  
I've used a Stihl FS-90 for the last twenty years. It will handle anything you want to tackle. I don't like string trimmers, so I use the Stihl head that has plastic blades. Works great.
Those plastic blades would last us about as long as it takes to put them on. We have rock and trees here and use .155 string but plan to upgrade to larger when proper heads are available for it. The 155 string will take tree shoots out.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #126  
Gas weed eaters are great in the heavy stuff. I have both and really use the battery powered one mostly except the battery is dead 3/4 of the way through, oh well time for coffee anyway! I find the straight shaft Stihl has been the best gas powered one I've ever used.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #127  
I didn't read the entire thread, but another vote for Echo. Their gas trimmers are amazing. I had an SBM (pre-cursor to the PAS) for 25 years and beat the snot out of it on 15 acres we owned. The engine finally got tired 2 years ago so I replaced it with the PAS-2620 (the unit actually still ran but was getting low on power, and I already had numerous attachments for it). The new unit is running great - always starts on the second pull. While it is a little heavy, that helps to keep vibration to a minimum. We are currently using .095 line in a SpeedFeed head and it's awesome. Also have a saw blade as well as steel fingers (universal, not Echo but they fit perfectly) among other attachments.

All the above experience is based on a larger unit than you will probably need. That being said I still recommend Echo gas. For what you asked:
  • Look at their SRM series, particularly the ones with the "i"-series starters.
  • If you want future flexibility, look at something like the PAS225. You can add some of the attachments to it if you want to (but it will not have enough power to add some of the "pro" attachments; for that you need to step up to the 2620).
  • Definitely straight shaft. As others have said they get more torque and last longer, plus they are more comfortable for taller people. And if you happen to get the PAS model you can always get a curved shaft attachment if needed.
  • Don't get too hung up on the handle. The Echo "D" handle is actually pretty useful (makes it really easy to turn the unit on its side to trim along curbs/sidewalks), and you can always add the bicycle-grip-type later.
I recommend you go to an Echo dealer, not Home Depot. The units there are the same as at the dealer, and I sometimes by oil/line/etc there, but H-D only carries limited models. A dealer can help you get the right one for your needs, will be able to order you parts and attachments, and you will probably end up taking it them if it needs service since H-D doesn't provide that anyway.

Last edited:
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #128  
I'll give my 2 cents.

Echo or Stihl - they are both quality products. Echo will give you a 5 year warranty and they are generally cheaper. I own both brands of chainsaw and they both sell quality products.

Weight matters. They get heavy after awhile.

Many people here (and all over) own the SRM-225 and love it. That said - I purchased the high torque/upgraded version of the SRM-225 called the SRM-2320T last year. It advertises 28% more torque then the 225 by using a 2:1 reduction gear in the feed head. Upgraded motor and carb. Starts easy. Runs strong and the extra umph of the reduction cuts through just about anything. Now, it's not as fast as a 25 or 30cc version, but it's a lit lighter to hold and carry around and does great for me

Whether you need the 'i-75 starter system that reduces starting by 75%' or not - it's a 20-30cc engine. They all are pretty easy to pull/start

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #129  
Seeing warranty mentioned, I'll offer this:

Stihl will give a 4 year warranty as long as you buy a 6-pack of their engine oil at the time of purchase. That can cost probably as little as $12 for their non-synthetic oil. I just did this when I purchased a Kombi unit on Saturday.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #130  
Not sure I understand scratcher blade, but the ad linked to (HD) did not mention any sort of extra blade. I have an old green machine and it uses a 'saw' blade that really cuts the brush. I can't find parts for it (gas tank cap) and want to replace it with another unit that can handle such a brush cutting blade.

Anyone using a brush cutting blade on one of these ECHOS?

BTW My ECO CS400 has done quite a nice job for me and (I think, gone on long after the 5-year warranty expired) - so I like ECHO for that reason ;)

The Blue Max is a 2 stroke 42.7cc from China. It only cost me $140 and is still cutting after I replaced the gas hoses. This will be year 5. A version is still available on Amazon but they're up to about $200 now.

This one claims to be 52 cc two stroke for under $200