Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #111  
Depends on terrain, you might consider a walk behind.
We do trails on rougher terrain. Walk behinds don't cut it since you can't get then low enough with them, or high enough for that matter. They just aren't adjustable where as we can use ours to cut light branches back what are encroaching the trail. We normally run .155 string.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #112  
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I bought a DeWalt cordless 60volt string trimmer and I'll never go back to a gas powered unit. No gas to go stale, no endless attempts to start it after sitting for the winter and no need to condition it and the fuel for winter storage.

My DeWalt runs for almost a full hour on one battery. After an hour I'm ready for a break anyway.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #113  
For gas powered, I really like my Stihl equipment. I have 3 chainsaws, mini tiller, and a pole saw. However, for string trimming I have moved to electric and have an original Milwaukee M18 Fuel string trimmer. I just ordered the new quick look version with articulating hedge trimmer attachment instead of going for another Stihl.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #114  
... I believe it comes with a steel scratcher blade as well.
Not sure I understand scratcher blade, but the ad linked to (HD) did not mention any sort of extra blade. I have an old green machine and it uses a 'saw' blade that really cuts the brush. I can't find parts for it (gas tank cap) and want to replace it with another unit that can handle such a brush cutting blade.

Anyone using a brush cutting blade on one of these ECHOS?

BTW My ECO CS400 has done quite a nice job for me and (I think, gone on long after the 5-year warranty expired) - so I like ECHO for that reason ;)

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #115  
For a weed whacker only,

One that allows you to use attachments could be handy if you wanted to add a pole saw later.
I bought an SRM-225 last year so I could retire my 30+ year old Echo...very pleased with the performance. I recently replaced a 30+ year old Echo chainsaw as well. The engine was still good but the bar actually split from all those years of wear and was an obsolete part.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #116  
12 pages on a weed wacker!
I switched to battery a few years ago. I do construction and converted 90% tools to battery also.
All Makita X2 36V or 18V. I have two chain saws, weed wacker with pole saw attachment. My gas weed wackers and pole saw and my Stihl 20" chainsaw almost never come out anymore.
So much quieter and no mixing gas or gas smell.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #117  
We have a palm tree farm in central Florida which calls for extensive use of trimmers and brush cutters. Our units get much more use than typical homeowners so we need units that perform consistently and reliably.
Don’t look solely at purchase price. You can compare two units that have very similar engine CC’s and appear alike in other ways.
One may be $350.00 and the other $225.00.
If the lower priced unit requires repair twice each year and the other just service maintenance which is the better value?
We have tried different brands and configurations over the years and have experienced very good and very poor units.
Split shaft units can be good for an average homeowner. If you go this route do not go for price alone as the head unit is used for all jobs. Take note of how the upper and lower connections function. See how much twist there is when connected. The drive cable needs a secure and stable connection.
I also have come to prefer straight shaft vs. bent shaft units. Easier to see and control for us.
We have come to use Stihl units as the performance and reliability are very good.
We have units over 15 years old that have the factory carburetor’s and pull cords. That speaks volumes.
I’m sure there are other brands that are similar quality but there are many name brands that have not made more than two seasons. Purchase price means nothing here.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #119  
12 pages on a weed wacker!
I switched to battery a few years ago. I do construction and converted 90% tools to battery also.
All Makita X2 36V or 18V. I have two chain saws, weed wacker with pole saw attachment. My gas weed wackers and pole saw and my Stihl 20" chainsaw almost never come out anymore.
So much quieter and no mixing gas or gas smell.
Hopefully you drained the gas and ran them dry or the carbs will be all smegged up

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #120  
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I've used a Stihl FS-90 for the last twenty years. It will handle anything you want to tackle. I don't like string trimmers, so I use the Stihl head that has plastic blades. Works great.