GC 1710 PTO Operation

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #1  

Brewsky

Tractor
Branson 4220i, Ford 1520, MF 1710 TLB
I learned from a previous post that without a foot clutch to engage the PTO you just move the "clutch" lever and hang on while it engages. I really never got used to the slam (at idle), but it has worked. I recently wanted to try the MMM again and after rigging it up tried to engage it. The grinding was intense!! I checked the gearbox and shaft with both and movable by hand. I am aware of the ACGO warning not to engage the clutch on the opposite PTO shaft. Both the rear and mid pto engage correctly with no load. Any ideas? I'll be out of town for a few but will check in upon my return. Thanks for considering my dilemma.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #2  
Sequence of lever selection?
Too low an RPM, tractor may stall, depending on attachment, too high causes a lot of excess strain.
5:50 of the video.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #3  
I set my GC2400 and the GC1725M next door at 1500rpm before engaging first time. never an issue.
idle...especially on the GC1725M with MMM attached (odd, its ame mower deck but the 1725 bogs first run even when 12 years newer and 2hp higher) can stall at idle.
1500rpm never issue for both.
I also use the same rpm for bush hog on a 1710 and 1723 as well as tiller on GC2400.

however.. at NO time with ANY GC series over the past 5 years did I hear a grinding. that part is odd. I suspect you MAY be engaging TOO slowly. wet clutch stuff can be odd.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #4  
If the tractor will start with the PTO engaged, shut off the motor, engage PTO, then restart tractor.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #5  
If the tractor will start with the PTO engaged, shut off the motor, engage PTO, then restart tractor.
1710,1723,1725 I use(d) won't crank with pto engaged.
not sure where safety switch is on them, know the seat switch called a pto seat safety switch so they may have combined sep seat and pto switches (like my 2400) into one switch with an internal pto switch in housing.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #6  
PTO Safety Switch is located.

PTO Safety Switch.jpg

Does anybody know what 22 is in wiring diagram? its referred to as just "Safety Switch" (no, not seat switch) Maybe High/Low range HST switch?.... 21 is PTO safety switch...

Safety Switch.jpg

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #7  
my gc2400 manual does not show that exact diagram but since it looks to be dpdt switch (unlike seat, pto switch) I would SUSPECT its the range lever switch.
on my tractor its the only safety switch with more than 2 wires going into it and when the plastic snaps you superglue it into position to allow starting LOL

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #8  
Does anybody know what 22 is in wiring diagram? its referred to as just "Safety Switch" (no, not seat switch) Maybe High/Low range HST switch?.... 21 is PTO safety switch...

View attachment 750104
The diagram I have is different. In that area mine shows
2 is labeled 23 = fuel pump
21 is labeled 20 = switch, pto clutch lever
22 is labeled 21 = switch, range gear
img20220614_11162248.jpg

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #9  
There's a reason they don't want you to attempt to start a tractor with the PTO engaged.

/ GC 1710 PTO Operation #10  
There's a reason they don't want you to attempt to start a tractor with the PTO engaged.
true.
its driven by people that,when a range control (hi range/low range on a GC series massey) switch is being discussed, say things like :
those people are a danger to all around them.