GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #11  
hard to tell but think its item 3, bolts/washers item 4/5 go in from each side of frame to it.
when those are loose/missing there is a bunch of flexing. I know this for a fact.
mine fixed now and...like I said...enter a 36" ditch with one rear tire off ground (yeah 4wd and diff lock used) every time I mow with no flex issues.

hard to tell from pic today (been 3 weeks since mowed) but this left rear tire is 8" off ground. I have to use 4wd and diff lock to orientate myself to mow here.
and no real frame flex.
hopefully it wont rain more this week (like last 2+ weeks) so I can do final mowing for year. grass is 9-15" tall under that rear tire.

flex.jpg

Last edited:
   / GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?
It's looking like I need to take a break from moving dirt and get underneath the tractor with a flashlight and some wrenches. I'll let you guys know if I find anything. I'm 20/80 on thinking this is normal vs something-is-loose. I was mostly looking at the crossmember near (1). I'll see if i can repeat the scenario with a single safety ramp and go from there.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #13  
ramps are awesome for this stuff. I se them a lot for doing stuff, not much room under there so I put in front of rear tires and drive up onto them. never forget you drove ONTO then though....its quite a bump when you drive fwd and suddenly drop 12"....

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #14  
It's looking like I need to take a break from moving dirt and get underneath the tractor with a flashlight and some wrenches. I'll let you guys know if I find anything. I'm 20/80 on thinking this is normal vs something-is-loose. I was mostly looking at the crossmember near (1). I'll see if i can repeat the scenario with a single safety ramp and go from there.
I think it's normal, has done it since new, very easy to replicate. The hood mounts and latch mechanism changed for the GC2400.
If you go underneath, check the motor mounts while your there.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #15  
I think it's normal, has done it since new, very easy to replicate. The hood mounts and latch mechanism changed for the GC2400.
If you go underneath, check the motor mounts while your there.
There is no actual latch on a gc24xx series. It's just a spring clip on each side of hood.
That's why I put mine purposely into a flex position.
And my hood did not raise.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #16  
Lightweight frame will twist. Just have to live with it or go easier on the little tractor.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?
guys, I can't find anything wrong with the machine.

what I think is happening is that the counterweight (425lbs) or the box blade (462lbs + leverage) is pinning the back wheels to the ground. when one of the front wheels lifts high enough off of the wheel-plane, the frame twists.

I believe this is normal (within reason) and that the frame\steel has some level of springiness to it; not unique to MF or the GC series.

My Conclusion and lesson-learned: It's not a rented track loader. It's not made of carbon-fiber-wrapped-titanium. Assume the the tractor has enough power to self-destruct, especially with a counterweight 1/3rd of the weight of the base machine is hanging off of the 3PH. 🤓

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #18  
guys, I can't find anything wrong with the machine.

what I think is happening is that the counterweight (425lbs) or the box blade (462lbs + leverage) is pinning the back wheels to the ground. when one of the front wheels lifts high enough off of the wheel-plane, the frame twists.

I believe this is normal (within reason) and that the frame\steel has some level of springiness to it; not unique to MF or the GC series.

My Conclusion and lesson-learned: It's not a rented track loader. It's not made of carbon-fiber-wrapped-titanium. Assume the the tractor has enough power to self-destruct, especially with a counterweight 1/3rd of the weight of the base machine is hanging off of the 3PH. 🤓
If the front axle pivot hits the frame stop, the hood will flex. My fronts are foam filled, very stiff, it flexes the hood very easily. The effect is also influenced by tire pressure, softer tires reduce the flex. Takes at least 6" of front swing (tire height difference) to start happening. As long as the front axle is parallel with the frame no issue, doesn't matter what the rear axle is doing.

Just want to add that a counterweight will actually increase the longevity and safety of the tractor in all operations. Filled rear tires may be nice, but a counterweight is better.

Attachments

• GC2300 front axle stop.jpg
    GC2300 front axle stop.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 67
  • GC2300 hood flex.jpg
    GC2300 hood flex.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
   / GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #19  
ramps are awesome for this stuff. I se them a lot for doing stuff, not much room under there so I put in front of rear tires and drive up onto them. never forget you drove ONTO then though....its quite a bump when you drive fwd and suddenly drop 12"....
Unfortunately I have no input for the o/p, but I must say this is a good idea...I never thought of using ramps like that.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #20  
Unfortunately I have no input for the o/p, but I must say this is a good idea...I never thought of using ramps like that.
using them with bucket to lift front (watch rear tire movement when raising front, use bucket tilt to keep in place.. start with cut edge on ground) and a level on the frame helps set you up for hyd oil changes on GC series.