Generator question

/ Generator question #51  
Have you checked the capacitors (if equipped?) and the engine RPM? I have a Porter Cable H1000ISw, it's 10k, 19.5k surge. It's got a 20hp Honda motor on it. When I first got it, the output was low- around 108v. It ran great, but didn't *sound* right. So I checked engine RPM, it was low. A quick adjustment back up to 3600rpm and it puts out 120v/60hz.

Easy enough to check, might save you money, AND even get you a new tool out of it. ;)
(new tool= laser RPM gauge)

I didn't think it's possible to adjust RPMs on a governed set motor. It sure sounds like a fast idle motor to me any faster and it might throw a rod, as fast as that motor is going it should easily be putting out 118 volts, 113-114 is not right.

/ Generator question #52  
I didn't think it's possible to adjust RPMs on a governed set motor. It sure sounds like a fast idle motor to me any faster and it might throw a rod, as fast as that motor is going it should easily be putting out 118 volts, 113-114 is not right.

On mine it is, all it took was a quick turn of a screwdriver and it was good to go.

I wasn’t sure if that would do it but it’s been perfect ever since. Might be worth it to grab a infrared tach and check how fast she’s spinning.

/ Generator question #53  

There has got to be a way to adjust it, even at the factory they have to adjust them for RPM and thus frequency.

The cheaper they are, the more they would have to be adjustable to change from places that operate at 60 hertz, or 50 hertz.

/ Generator question #54  
look for the manual online for a governor run version of the motor it will tell you how to adjust

/ Generator question #55  
On mine it is, all it took was a quick turn of a screwdriver and it was good to go.

I wasn’t sure if that would do it but it’s been perfect ever since. Might be worth it to grab a infrared tach and check how fast she’s spinning.

Mine is way way way way above idle to the verge of full throttle, I cant imagine why any manufacturer making a generator that has to run full throttle. Seem so half throttle should be plenty of RPMs, if not then maybe a bigger generator is needed but seems to me any and all generators should already be set by the manufacture and shouldn't have to be fiddled with. There has to be a generator somewhere by someone that right out of the box puts out 120 volts without fiddling with...............

/ Generator question #56  
Mine is way way way way above idle to the verge of full throttle, I cant imagine why any manufacturer making a generator that has to run full throttle. Seem so half throttle should be plenty of RPMs, if not then maybe a bigger generator is needed but seems to me any and all generators should already be set by the manufacture and shouldn't have to be fiddled with. There has to be a generator somewhere by someone that right out of the box puts out 120 volts without fiddling with...............
The more poles in the generator, the slower it can spin. But that means more parts & more copper required. So cheap generators use the minimum number of poles & flog the engine to make a cheaper product. With people wanting a cheap backup generator, this method gets the job done with a minimum of cost. It doesnt make for a super long lasting or quiet generator, but they generally aren't used that frequently.

You could gear up the engine to get output RPM. But again at the low end it's super price competitive & the cost of gears or whatever puts that manufacturer at a big disadvantage.

Changing Generator Rotational Speed has some more info. But a 2 pole generator needs to run at 3,600 rpm where a 4 pole only needs 1,800 rpm. So generally any generator engine will need to spin at one of those RPMs.

/ Generator question #57  
I've also seen the cheaper gensets that were running too fast, right out of the box new!

A friend bought one, plugged it into his moms house (through a transfer switch) and every light that was on, blew out the bulb.

Back in the box it went, and was replaced with another, that WAS set at the right RPM.

SR

/ Generator question #58  
The more poles in the generator, the slower it can spin. But that means more parts & more copper required. So cheap generators use the minimum number of poles & flog the engine to make a cheaper product. With people wanting a cheap backup generator, this method gets the job done with a minimum of cost. It doesnt make for a super long lasting or quiet generator, but they generally aren't used that frequently.

You could gear up the engine to get output RPM. But again at the low end it's super price competitive & the cost of gears or whatever puts that manufacturer at a big disadvantage.

Changing Generator Rotational Speed has some more info. But a 2 pole generator needs to run at 3,600 rpm where a 4 pole only needs 1,800 rpm. So generally any generator engine will need to spin at one of those RPMs.

POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even understand HZ now poles. I think the next generator I buy will be from HD, I'll bring it home, fire it up check for 119-120 volts, plug my micro and coffee maker in it and if I get coffee just like from the power company, it's a keeper, if not back to no hassle return HD it goes then on to the next brand.

/ Generator question #59  
POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even understand HZ now poles. I think the next generator I buy will be from HD, I'll bring it home, fire it up check for 119-120 volts, plug my micro and coffee maker in it and if I get coffee just like from the power company, it's a keeper, if not back to no hassle return HD it goes then on to the next brand.
Home depot is not so friendly on generator returns anymore. Too many people buy them during outage then return them later. Our HD has sign up that says no returns, defects have to be sent to factory. Not Sure who gets stuck with shipping. Seems like a bother to me.

A 4 pole alternator is quite large and heavy and requires a larger engine to turn for same amount of power as a 2 pole. Most 4 pole units use automotive engines for larger units. I had an old Onan 5,000 watt 4 pole ....was a monster. And not really all that quiet. But ran forever.