Getting Back Into Welding

/ Getting Back Into Welding #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
Last time I struck an arc was at least 40 years ago. I'm retired now and would like to get back into it as a hobby. Planning on staying with stick as that is what I know.

Anyone been in the same position? What was your experience striking that first arc again? I'm hoping it's a lot like riding a bike in that you don't forget!

/ Getting Back Into Welding #2  
Last time I struck an arc was at least 40 years ago. I'm retired now and would like to get back into it as a hobby. Planning on staying with stick as that is what I know.

Anyone been in the same position? What was your experience striking that first arc again? I'm hoping it's a lot like riding a bike in that you don't forget!
It was a little like riding a bike:) My eyes aren't as good, but lots of light and cheater glasses help. Happy to report I am still as bad as I was in high school, I have gotten a little more patient, so probably a little better grinder..........

Best,

ed

/ Getting Back Into Welding #3  

I too started stick welding after about a 40 year gap. Bought my tractor 8 years ago and bought a stick welder soon after.
I got a lot of great advice right here on TBN , especially from Shield Arc (RIP.....sure do miss him!) Also welding tips & tricks on YouTube is good. Get some scrap and start burning rod, you'll get it

/ Getting Back Into Welding #5  
After I bought a Miller 211 MIG machine, my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC macine just collected dust. A friend borrowed it a couple times when his buzz box died, but a year ago I sold it on CL. I have a Eastwood TIG 200 that will do stick welding if I would need a stick machine, but I don't see the need anytime soon.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #6  
It's hard to beat AC/DC stick for versatility. I don't use mine often, but it's a real asset when I do. I own several welding machines - Mig, Tig, stick, and an engine-driven Bobcat 250. but I'm not a pro. I'm just a guy who likes to build and modify stuff. I also like having the right tools for the job. If I'm doing a lot of lighter-duty welds, I'll grab my MM210 Mig every time. For repair work on heavier steel, it's usually stick. In the field, it's almost always stick, but the Bobcat can power the MM210 if needed.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #7  
OP: cool we can revisit a skill we've known in our youth. have you looked at equipment possibilities yet for your return to arc?

/ Getting Back Into Welding
OP: cool we can revisit a skill we've known in our youth. have you looked at equipment possibilities yet for your return to arc?
I have been looking at equipment. A ways off from a purchase yet. The nice thing about the current equipment is that it has multiple options for expandability. I can work my stick skills back to the high standard I possessed (well, hopefully!), then I can buy the add-on's to delve into MIG or TIG.

TIG and welding aluminum always intrigued me, so this could be something I'd try down the road.

This is all going to start at a basic hobby level.

/ Getting Back Into Welding #9  
good plan. lots out there for multiple options on a single machine. am sure you'll get useful responses
strictly arc here, well pleased with my Hobart upgrade from Lincoln tombstone. keep the forum informed along the way, best regards

/ Getting Back Into Welding #10  
I recently bought a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084PY4C5...=NUgU8&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title to use as a dedicated Tig unit, but it also does stick. I'll never use it for stick, but it was the best-reviewed offshore brand I could find for Tig. Called and spoke with the importer. If you want one, get on the waiting list early - he sells out a shipment very quickly. Impressive machine, and will probably last me the rest of my life. NOT a lightweight, though - but fits on the better Harbor Freight Vulcan cart like it was made for it. 350 lb. Capacity Welding Cart