Getting my YM169D fixed up

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #21  
Wow. Didn't know there was such a diffenence. BTW is there any difference besides location. Seems like the dash mount would be easier. Any one want to estimate the value of the 186d listed in the photo i posted earlier. It has not been running lately, has about 950 hours and owner claims it ran when he parked it and that it will run.

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #22  
SSG510.......Tough question to answer without seeing it in person and taking a close look. Sometimes its not a question of what it's worth.....more....what are you willing to pay? This tractor looks like it might need some work. Not running......would be nice to know what's wrong? Did you check fluids? Any water in fluids? Any leaks? 3 point work? I bought my 186D for $4500 about a year and a half ago. It ran well.....has a good FEL.....also has ROP. After getting it.....found several things wrong.....spent about another $500 in parts. So with that said......I am thinking the tractor pictured might be worth about $2000 to $3000. FEL is probably worth $1000 and ROP is another $700. I'd try to get it running before purchase unless you can really get a steal. As for the hours.....you just never know.....could be 950 or 1950....who knows?? Just my thoughts! Good luck!:confused2:

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #23  
SSG, I bought my 186D last Aug with a 5 ft brush hog, and no FEL for 3500 bucks. It is in great condition and came with service man, operators manual, *** manual, 300 bucks of paint and a full set of new decals, and a full set of filters, and almost new tires. I would love to have the MMM in the pictures, so it's hard to put a price on it. The MMM and turf tires would add value for some, if you buy it, want to trade tires?

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #24  
SSG, I bought my 186D last Aug with a 5 ft brush hog, and no FEL for 3500 bucks. It is in great condition and came with service man, operators manual, *** manual, 300 bucks of paint and a full set of new decals, and a full set of filters, and almost new tires. I would love to have the MMM in the pictures, so it's hard to put a price on it. The MMM and turf tires would add value for some, if you buy it, want to trade tires?

Pete. Like you, the mmm and turf tire set up is what i like about the tractor. Looks like a giant garden tractor on steroids. I know the guy who owns it. Im thinking he probably wants around the $3,500 price. He purchased from the original owner locally. Guarantees the hours. Has all paper word and everything, he says, to rebuild the mmm. I told him what i just paid for my 1401d with the 48" finish mower, trying to get him to budge.. I really like the size or the 186. My 1401 is about 81" long. What are the deminsions of the 186, ie wheelbase and length etc. Thanks

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #25  
Ssg510, the information I have from the sales brochure for the YM186 says the wheelbase is 53.2 inches, the overall length is 98.3 inches, and the width at the rear tires of the four wheel drive version is 42.5 inches. Listed weight is 1538.8 lbs.

I'm interested to hear how you compare your 1401D to the 186D. My 1401D has a loader, and feels MUCH stronger than the 186D. Except for situations of abuse or operator error, the 1401D always runs out of traction, and never out of power. The reverse is true for the 186D: There have only been a very few instances, and those have been off-camber and weird positions where the front axle cannot pull, that I've ever lost traction with the 186D before running out of power. It always bogs down before it slips in anything resembling normal use.

The 186D weighs about 400lbs more than the bare 1401D; that difference is taken up by the loader on the smaller machine. My 186D also has heavy bracketry for side-mounted cultivators that adds probably 100 lbs easily, 220lbs of front weights, rear wheel weights, and filled tires front and rear. It is a much more dense machine than the 1401D, and I would expect it to weigh nearly 2500lbs with my box scraper, ready to work. If the back end of the trailer is unsupported, it will almost lift the rear end of a half ton pickup driving off a 16 foot flatbed double axle trailer!

The Powershift transmission is terrific. It's a good thing mine has that, because otherwise it would be exasperating to use. Many things about this little tractor are awesome, but the motor really should be in the 18 PTO horsepower class, in my opinion. Maybe I've just got it too heavy, or mine doesn't run right (something that may be true). The powerband of the engine is also biased toward high rpm use in the one I've got. It feels kind of like a 2 stroke motorcycle, or performance car engine: It's doggy on the bottom, then comes to life at the top end.

A two cylinder of 15hp might have been more user friendly. With some practice rowing the shifter it's a lot easier to keep the power up where you can do work, but hills and such are a nightmare on mine. It's simply underpowered. I wish there were a place local who could test the output with a dynamometer, since I'm still not totally convinced the motor on mine isn't running weakly. But it sounds smooth, doesn't smoke, filters and radiator are clean, etc etc.

The rear lift on the 186D is definitely more powerful than the one on the 1401D. It rockets implements up and down even at idle. However, the controls are not very precise. It's tough to get small increments of lifting or lowering. In fact, I haven't ever been able to do so. There's always large amounts of lifting at the implement, however careful I try to be.

Post a review if/when you pick it up.

JohnDeere3720, your tractor is looking good. That's a neat little workhorse.

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #26  
284 IH Great review of the 1401 vs. 186. Have only had the 1401 for a week and willl probably be awhile before I get the 186. My 1401 performance is much like yours. Will post if and when I get it. By the way, Like the little b6000. More photos please.