Glow Plug Timer control units

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #31  
On the 6 year old topic....glow plugs, I read a few days ago that glow plugs in general have a limited life so timing is important...don't run longer than necessary. With that said, older plugs took about 30 seconds to operate adequately for cold temps, not the coldest but cold temps. Currently designed plugs operate in single digit seconds. I just bought a 2020 tractor, thinking the GP timer had malfunctioned as compared to my other tractors with the newest being 2016 since with them, the heater and indicator would stay on the longer period. The new one turned off just a few seconds after illumination as did the plug...you could hear the relay clicking on a cold day. Well on a colder day I tested it and they stayed on for a longer period but still less than 10 seconds. So I quit worrying about that.

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #32  
The glow plug indicator lamp on my New Holland TC35 Boomer would occasionally come on, and now it just stays on.
According to the helpful threads in this forum, the cause is a faulty glow plug timer unit:

Glow Plug Problem

Pulled the unit, bench tested it per this procedure, and sure 'nuff, it's bad.
View attachment 410473 View attachment 410474

One never worked or never had it installed on the JD 4010. I just paused between "on" and "start" to a count in my head: 1 or 2 seconds in warm weather and about 6 seconds in cold weather. Always started with the usual 1/2 turn I'm used to from 39 years of running car diesels and 16 years of tractor diesels. Something not right if they don't start in that 1/2 turn of the crankshaft. Even the old 220D did this at -22 F (after a LONG glow period for it).

Ralph

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #33  
Best practical timer!*
Thousand and one, thou + 2, etc. etc. (up to about 7/8)
And if no start, repeat and add a few thou's,
A push button switch preferred but even pinching the wires can suffice when in a pinch.

* however with current trends many would like to accomplish their start by using their cell phones.

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #34  
Glow plugs on the 240D lasted to near 200k miles. That's probably about 6000ish tractor hours.

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #35  
Did you test the caps? If they are more than a few years old, they can dry out and go way out of tolerance.
Hi, no I did not as I'm not sure how to do that. Anyway my father went the straight route with a push button only and it's working.

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #36  
Hello, I know this thread is close to 6 years old now but this is the only place I found useful info regarding the glow plug timer relay. My dad has a Nissan N150 mini excavator with a S81NJ timer relay that I suspect is bad. I opened it up and all 4 caps inside were loose and desoldered. I thought this was very bad so I resoldered them all and tested it with the OP's method, but the light does not lit up at all. What I find very odd is the D6 diode make it impossible to have any current in position 6 as the cathode block any form of voltage/current to go through this pin. or am I mistaken ? I did tested all diode and all seems to be good.

I don't know where SG51Buss found these cool NGK diagram but I would very like to get one, if possible, for this model.

here's some pictures of the unit itself. maybe I'm missing something to check ?
View attachment 687593View attachment 687594View attachment 687595
Hello, maybe you know the value for resistor R6 and R7? Thanks

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #37  
In researching a possible replacement for my TC40 Glow Plug Timer, (NGK and some other knock offs) I came across a Hella adjustable 10A relay. It can be adjusted from 0 - 900 seconds of on or off time. Any comments?

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #38  
Just not sure what advantage you would get by using the Hella adjustable relay? Or how much it will save $$ wise?

You would have to cut the factor harness & wire it correctly... which is probably easy enough but being you can buy a direct plug in aftermarket replacement for around $20+...
I don't think I would be cutting my factory harness...

I would double check but I believe this will work on you NH TC40DA: Glow Plug Timer SBA385870301 for New Holland TC35 TC35D TC40 TC40D TC45 TC45D

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #39  
I know this thread is quite old but I am trying to address a failed GP timer issue. Yes, purchased the Jeeda part off Amazon and it crapped out after 2 months. Instead of all this monkeying around, what are any thoughts about installing a momentary switch on the ground circuit and counting to 5. According to Messicks, this is a $120 fix and I still have no confidence it will last. This is for a TC40DA Vintage 2004. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to resolve on a long term basis.

/ Glow Plug Timer control units #40  
I was thinking it would have a 555 timer chip as
they don't cost a fortune work great and easy to
use

willy