Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get?

/ Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get? #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,
Ok so the time has come to buy a new flail mower. It will run on a John Deere 3032E or a 3038E. 25/30 PTO HP respectively.
I am thinking I want a 6 to 6 1/2 footer with hammer type cutters. Was told I can get a really good cut from those cutters and much more durable than the finish style blades.
I will generally be cutting fields and large areas that are mostly grasses and light weeds, field type areas I want a better cut than a brush hog. The areas should be mostly void of rocks and wood.

I don't need anything fancy, no hydraulics etc., just reliable.
I'd like to stay in the $2000 or under if possible.

I know this gets asked a lot and I've read many threads and just looking for current thoughts.
Hoping to capitalize on year end and off season pricing!
Thanks for any suggestions.

/ Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get? #2  
Call Betstco. ( Betstco.com) they have a good selection and you should find what you want. Sounds like your selection will depend on what you have to spend more than the size you want.

My flail mower from them is 3 years old and still like new without any issues. Still have another year of extended warranty on it as well.

If its in stock it will ship right away.

/ Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get?
Thank you. I will be sure to take a look at them.

Will be ordering from Betstco. November 25-29 black Friday sale 15% off I think he said!

I will be going with the FH-EFGC155 60" heavy duty flail. This ought to do a great job.

Last edited:
   / Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get? #6  
I have the 48HD for my SCUT and it has done well.
Like all hammer flails, keep it away from rocks.

It was nice to get my trails in shape this year and take out a bunch of brush while seated.

Does a good job on the grass and weeds too.

I'm going to mainly be doing grassy fields and may encounter sticks and other debris.
I've read that the hammer flails will cut grass just as good as the other type but hold up better.

/ Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get? #8  
You can check out fails on youtube. There are zillions, and they're most entertaining.

Oh, wait, that was a typo, wasn't it?

/ Going To Buy A New Flail - What To Get? #9  
Will be ordering from Betstco. November 25-29 black Friday sale 15% off I think he said!

I will be going with the FH-EFGC155 60" heavy duty flail. This ought to do a great job.
The only issue with my Bestco HD flail was the quality of the belts so don't order an extra set with the purchase. I cooked them in under 4 hours of use and recommend swapping out to Kevlar belts before coating everything with burnt rubber. NAPA was able to match me up no problem.

The only issue with my Bestco HD flail was the quality of the belts so don't order an extra set with the purchase. I cooked them in under 4 hours of use and recommend swapping out to Kevlar belts before coating everything with burnt rubber. NAPA was able to match me up no problem.
Watching several videos one thing I found common was that the belts are loose when the flail arrived.
They gave me the NAPA part number for the belts so I'll just go there.