Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #188,121  
37F going to a rainy 43F here in Formerly-Great California.

Have a dilemma.

A contractor has been doing repair work on my CA property for 3 months. He does quality work at a fair price. I like him. Out of the blue-- he left a VM last night saying he "really needs to talk to me." I think he is going to confess he does not have the General Contractor license he told me (several times) he has. The upcoming insurance work at our ski cabin required me to get his license number, which he has not yet provided.

He is mid-way through a project on my property and there are other projects I would like to use him for. And I do not have any backup worker or 2nd choice-- labor here in CA is very difficult to find. But .... if he lied????

If I terminate him, the project he is in the middle of lands back in my lap. And I don't know how the other work would get done. But, in previous circumstances that were similar, when I offered a "second chance," it has never ended well. And later I regretted providing the "second chance."

/ Good morning!!!! #188,123  
Yesterday was more picture work, organizing and labeling the 5 I did so far.
BEF, what do you do with pictures after you scan and sort them?

I have thousands of digital pix. I have been kicking around organizing them in Synology Photos so they would be accessible to others. But I have never done that.

I also recently purchased a laser engraver (Thunder) and am contemplating making custom engraved picture frames. I have all the wood I want (from downed trees and sawmill) so it with a little effort and pop it in the laser machine it might make some nice picture frames.

/ Good morning!!!! #188,125  
Morning all, 44 going to 56 and sunny.
Off to Manhattan today to take the family out for easter and do some business on upper west side, then down to union square or therabouts.

Buppies, think it's time for outside help?

Happy birthday to DIL popgadget.

Be well,
20240328_192408.jpg

/ Good morning!!!! #188,126  

Have a dilemma.

A contractor has been doing repair work on my CA property for 3 months. He does quality work at a fair price. I like him. Out of the blue-- he left a VM last night saying he "really needs to talk to me." I think he is going to confess he does not have the General Contractor license he told me (several times) he has. The upcoming insurance work at our ski cabin required me to get his license number, which he has not yet provided.

He is mid-way through a project on my property and there are other projects I would like to use him for. And I do not have any backup worker or 2nd choice-- labor here in CA is very difficult to find. But .... if he lied????

If I terminate him, the project he is in the middle of lands back in my lap. And I don't know how the other work would get done. But, in previous circumstances that were similar, when I offered a "second chance," it has never ended well. And later I regretted providing the "second chance."
Ugh....

I had to bow down to the insurance companies dealing with a roof replacement. All I can say is I dotted their I's, and crossed their T's. To the letter.

Since they control the purse strings, and have the lawyers as proof, all I could do was follow their directions, instructions and "recommendations".

It was not a pleasant experience, but all is good now.

No license, no insurance work. Pretty straight forward. Sorry to hear this may be the case.

/ Good morning!!!! #188,127  
We finally got some rain the other day. I don't have the gauge out yet, but there's water standing in some ditches, so maybe an inch(?). It blew pretty good from the SE. That produced a sign of a water leak in my 2 year old roof. I got up there and Dx'd the issue as a poor sealing job where the roof meets the second floor wall. He did a shitty job of silicone at the corner. I think I fixed it, with my trusty "bucket of tar", and a good silicone job on the corner trim. Awaiting the next rain for a test. I bought a couple of 250 gallon totes, from someone on FB (not the unresponsive one) for $20 each(!). He gets them for free at the ethanol plant he works at. I told him he should raise his price...

Forecast is looking warm enough to take the snow pusher and back blade back off the Deere. I had put it back on for the winter "blast" we had last week (only got a dusting).

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #188,128  
Since you're happy with his work, I'd keep him working for the projects you're paying for. You'll need a licensed guy for the insurance work.

/ Good morning!!!! #188,129  

Have a dilemma.

A slippery slope to tread. License and Insurances on contractors. It does seem like many contractors don't have or maintain insurance especially those that work by themselves or with just one helper.
It does help them have a better price for sure. I guess it all comes down to what you carry for insurance and the risk that you are willing to carry. If a contract exists that states the contractor will carry valid contractor liability and any required workmans comp insurance while preforming the work in my mind it provides a bit of cushion should anything go to a court of law even if I do not ask for a copy or a binder or an insurance number.
But that is just my feeling and how I do things if the work isn't being done with just a hand shake.

/ Good morning!!!! #188,130  
Good morning! 61˚ heading to 79˚ partly cloudy, brisk S wind.

Did estate work yesterday, sold a small piece of land that had right of way challenges and had to get a lawyer involved. The new owner knew all about the problems and has adopted them and had a consult with my lawyer so everything is in the open and he is young enough to take on the long road of challenges. I had to make a tough decision on the price reduction, but the heirs were glad to get rid of it and the new owner is ready to take on the challenges.

Ok, I need to regroup and get in the seat time I missed the other day, out to the gardens.