Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #36,561  
66 this morning and headed to 85 today. Another .35 inches of rain yesterday. Made the comment to wife on way home last night that it looked like a winter rain. Low clouds foggy misty rain. Oh well nice day today and weekend coming up.

Didn't get done yesterday in chicken coops. Too many interruptions. Maybe I'll have fewer visitors today.

Drew I know you don't like chemicals but I've had guys say to spray Primatal straight under a new blacktop drive. Said it'll keep anything from trying to come through it for years. Buppies might be able to help you more.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,562  
thanks Farmer. problem is I'm too late, the driveway is down, so now all I can do is put chemicals on top of it, and on the sides. I've pretty much killed off all the grass popping up in the middle of the driveway, but now the sides after less than a year are pretty bad. The grass is like a living freeze/thaw cycle, definitely tears up the pavement.

my helper who was supposed to do this driveway weedeating is off until next week. Long story. Felony conviction for stealing stuff out of neighbor's unlocked cars when he was drunk with a bunch of buddies three years ago. As a stupid kid living with single mother. He seems totally changed now, polite and respectful with a one year old child. But the piper is about to be paid. 8 days in county jail, on weekends, and a lot of community service.

one of my best friends up in PA is doing the same mentoring with another young man the same age, different issues but still young people with problems. Sometimes they need help getting their rudders in the right position...
and for this young man it took a good dose of reality to do that. He looked a little scared a few days ago, and that's probably good for him. I told him to think of what has gone down as a bad car accident, and now he has a limp when he walks. That felony limp may go away over time, but is he going to let a limp stop him from being successful in life, and support his family properly? No, of course.
The only good thing he has is his family and I see a lot of love there so hopefully he will be successful.
Meanwhile I'm doing grunt work I wish he was doing.

My guiding faith principle in life is that every day is an opportunity for kindness.
Hopefully in five years I'll look back and see a young family that benefited from many days of that kindness.
And their young son will be picking apples from my trees.
No guarantees or warranties in life. Something my father taught me early on.
So you have to make things happen yourself.

sorry to prattle on.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,563  
Back home after a trip to see a customer in the North East of the country. I have never been a great one for travelling long distances and nowadays I'm much happier to pootle around on a tractor than set the cruise control for 400 miles of highways congested with long streches of roadworks..

While up there, I went with a friend to a really smart office block. Outside the entrance was a rubbish skip outside, full of building refurb cast offs. I wandered over to have a look at a very interesting and only slightly dirty, plastic tank that could have had a good new home with me, before realising that my car was parked a few miles away and my friend wouldn't be too happy driving me back with this in the boot of his smart BMW/Merc (like some people are color blind, I struggle to see the difference between "premium" German brands).

Are we really still supposed to check the oil level on the car engine ? Many years ago that was a regular ritual, but I got out of the habit when I figured the only oil being used was the bit I wiped off the end of the dipstick each time I had a look. Mine gets an oil change every 10,000 miles or so, but I haven't needed to top up any car with oil for at least the last 12 years.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,564  
Morning All, 71* at 10:46 AM.

Working at home today. The plan was to go to costco at 7am to get a couple tires put on, however my son came home from the beach a day early because of a storm coming, got in at 1 am. I stayed up, so slept in this morning. I did get a picnic pavilion drawn up on autocad last night while waiting. Just a basic 40' x 30' with 6x6 posts at 10'oc. this is for the boy scouts to build.

Maybe I'll go finish that garage door I was working on, still got one track to finish and the spring to put on. Or might just clean out the garage.

All my elm tree's have either died or are in the process. Dutch elm disease probably. Had a large one behind the house die 3 or 4 yrs back. Even small ones die. Got a couple on the edge of the yard that have died. If they can't hurt anything, I let them fall on their own. One thing with elms, the root in the ground rots real quick.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,565  
Are we really still supposed to check the oil level on the car engine ? Many years ago that was a regular ritual, but I got out of the habit when I figured the only oil being used was the bit I wiped off the end of the dipstick each time I had a look. Mine gets an oil change every 10,000 miles or so, but I haven't needed to top up any car with oil for at least the last 12 years.

I was the same way never checking but changing the oil at is recommended intervals. I was 50 miles from home and the engine oil light came on I had a hard time finding the open hood latch on my new 2014 Subaru. The oil level was right at the low mark. Since the dealer gave a 2 year free maintenance I have just been taking it in at every 7,500 miles and they took care of everything. Apparently the type of motor and the type of driving will determine oil usage. Other brands (Toyota) besides Subaru also are having to add oil and the owners manual says consumption of a quart every 1,250 miles is normal! (I don't thinks so . .but. . it says in the manual.) A lot of people never check until a light comes on - silly people. I wonder if it has something with the newer fuel efficient motors and longer oil change interval recommendations with synthetic oil.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,566  
Good morning! 1130 hours 92˚ heading to 102˚.

My pool water in the evening is too warm and not refreshing so I added 3 more sails yesterday to block the afternoon and evening sun. I'll see if today the water temperature will stay below 93˚. Sails each are 18'X18'X18". They also keep the setting sun out of the volleyball players eyes.

Attachments

• sails.jpg
    sails.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 67
  • sails2.jpg
    sails2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #36,567  
Morning All, 71* at 10:46 AM.

Working at home today. The plan was to go to costco at 7am to get a couple tires put on, however my son came home from the beach a day early because of a storm coming, got in at 1 am. I stayed up, so slept in this morning. I did get a picnic pavilion drawn up on autocad last night while waiting. Just a basic 40' x 30' with 6x6 posts at 10'oc. this is for the boy scouts to build.

Maybe I'll go finish that garage door I was working on, still got one track to finish and the spring to put on. Or might just clean out the garage.

All my elm tree's have either died or are in the process. Dutch elm disease probably. Had a large one behind the house die 3 or 4 yrs back. Even small ones die. Got a couple on the edge of the yard that have died. If they can't hurt anything, I let them fall on their own. One thing with elms, the root in the ground rots real quick.

/ Good morning!!!! #36,568  
72°F and .84 inches rain since midnight

Hilotown for breakfast and errands

Be safe
Have a great day

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Good morning!!!! #36,569  
well, these are the "dog days" of summer aren't they? but...what do dogs have to do with it? Googling informed me it has nothing to do with our pooches; named after Orion's "dog star" Sirius. July and August for short.

Wipper begs to differ and would like to take you on in the friendly political forum. She says they are the "dog days of Summer" because she is on vacation from working because it's too doggone hot.

Attachments

• dogdays.jpg
    dogdays.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 64
   / Good morning!!!! #36,570  
Good afternoon all. 82F @7AM sunny, now 99F HI 107 forecast for 102F, less wind than yesterday. We trimmed up some bushes this morning, Still trying to get some of the glue from old numbers off golf cart, want to get back on garage so I can find stuff easier. Not sure how much I get done the rest of today, feel too much like Whipper :eek: :ashamed: