Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #187,022  
43F, wet, and cloudy @ 18:00, heading down to around 38F overnight. Around 0.40" of rain since midnight.

Decided to run down to Menards and pick up orders yesterday before it got dark. Woman went along and we hit Save A Lot on the way back, primarily for Half and Half. Back home around 18:00.

Got bird seed and utility tub unloaded and moved into the garage, one bag of seed stowed away in a 5 gallon bucket. Need to come up with a 3rd bucket for some of the seed.

Got dining room table cleared off last night so we can use that to sort out and organize paperwork before getting it filed away which will probably be this evening's task.

I had called the mower shop yesterday to see how the work was progressing on the Cub.

Guy I talked to said that they would be getting to it shortly, within the next couple of days. He asked again what they were going to be doing to it. Told him that it was in to have the valves adjusted and as far as I knew that was all it needed ... although I questioned whether it needed to have any work done on the hydraulic system.

He told me that it was that the recommendation was that hydraulic system (Hydro Gear ZT3400 transmissions) - be serviced @ 100 hours and then again at 400 hours ...

At that point I expressed my displeasure that IIRC the Cub Cadet-supplied Owners Manual seemed to conflict with that. He said he would check into it and get back with me within a couple of days.

After I got off the phone with him, I downloaded a copy of the Owners Manual and verified that it said the hydraulic system was "sealed" and were "maintenance free":

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 18.18.19.png

Today he called back and said that:

1. The "less than hour" quoted time and the "less than $100" cost on adjusting the valves was a no-go ... the engine has to be pulled because they can't access all the bolts that they need to ...

2. The hydraulic system does indeed have a pair of spin-on filters (under a pair of plastic covers located on each transmission) that are supposed to be changed @ 100 hours ... along with the hydraulic fluid.

I verified that on Hydro Gear's website after I got off the phone with him.

The less than a $100 cost for checking and adjusting the valves has now morphed into a $650 bill.

Told him I was less than happy about that ... particularly that 1. the Owners Manual neglects to mention the Manufactuer's recommended service requirement on the hydros and 2. that the engine has to be pulled to do a maintenance procedure that is required every 500 hours.

I'm not sure what all is involved in pulling the engine - maybe it isn't all that complicated - but it sure seems to me that it potentially provides an abundance of opportunities for something to get missed when reinstalling it.

Just seems nuts to me to have to do that to adjust the valves.

Told him to go ahead and do the hydro service ($277) and let me think about the valve adjustment for a bit.

Think this is probably going to involve me going down to the shop and having a look at it.

This whole episode reduces my confidence in their service department, since I got told one thing initially and which then turned out to be vastly different. Call me funny, but I would think they should already know what's involved, since they service these machines.

Probably also going to involve a call/email/letter to Cub Cadet raising holy heck over those two issues.

On a somewhat light note:

1. Amazon delivered the endoscope earlier today. Got the app downloaded for that and hooked it up to test it. Seems fine ... may play around with it some later.

2. Got a Fedex Tracking Number on the shower base, should arrive at the Massillon Menards tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a decent Wednesday ... (y)

(Edit - The price I quoted for the hydro service above included pickup and delivery)

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #187,023  
Good (Thursday) morning. Overnight Low of 11.3C and it's presently 21.8C, partly cloudy and somewhat calm. Yesterday's top temp, here at Wagtail Park, was 34.2C... it'll be a lot cooler today.

A good run 'into town' with everything accomplished quickly. I then 'bravely' hid inside during the hot arvo. Things are still 'green' since the 'rain bomb' of a fortnight ago.

I will get up to something today, I'm just not sure what.

That's about it, take care all.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,024  
Good Evening RS,
Just seems nuts to me to have to do that to adjust the valves.

RS, I have to agree with that statement! Remove the engine to adjust the valves !
Sounds crazy, so much for good engineering practices !

Good luck with all of that !

/ Good morning!!!! #187,025  
didn't the early Vegas require loosening the motor mounts and jacking up the engine to get to the oil filter?
some terrible clearance problem.
not good news for RS, hope you get a reasonable solution without wrecking the sofa fund.

long but good school board meeting tonight on zoom.
Pleased that all the money needed to fund the current building/capital campaign is now raised, $13M.
all from the local community, parents, alumnae, all deeply connected to the school.
in a world that seems in some ways to just keep getting crazier, our little school is seen as a haven of peacefulness and safety.

But then we are told we have ten kids moving next year, so emphasis is back on getting more kids in.
Always good when Kindergarten is filled up. It's your farm team for the rest of the grades, ours stopping at 8th grade.
Now we are working on a new arts building and that will finish the modernization.
this has been a good experience for me. But 9 years is enough, it's actually our term limits, 3 threes.

I told the school I would grow flowers for them from now on and they were delighted. Probably half of what I'm growing now will wind up
planted at the school.

I'm going to this place on Friday with my Lancaster friends.
I bet I can find some good food to bring back, and no I don't like shoo fly pie.

one foot on a banana peel and one foot in dreamland

/ Good morning!!!! #187,026  
Yes, I was in a lot of pain. But this was almost 20 years ago and my HMO didn't hand out tickets to MRI's easily. The going costs were in the thousands for the hospital.
Frankly I'm surprised at how low the cost you quoted for an MRI is now.
AND yes the pain was great.

/edit
And it's hard to quantify pain - This pain was similar to a freshly broken ankle, a broken wrist, both of which I'd had before. But far more than a broken finger or the pain of putting a fishhook thru a thumb.
Thanks for sharing and elaborating.
My son says there is still pain, but he says he can run because he doesn't run with his arms above his head...
I have a 17 year old nephew who finishes school in early June. He wants to get a job and make some $$, like most kids his age. He's a city boy, never around rural property. I'm thinking of offering to "hire him" to visit and do some work on our property. Work with me doing cleanup, burning piles, etc. Give us some time together plus he can learn about rural property, tractors, equipment, etc. Maybe make a little lumber on the sawmill.

What is a good pay rate, per day or per week, for a 17 year old? If I make an offer to him, I'd like to be a bit on the generous side. But I have no idea what $$$ that might be?
I was thinking $10/hour, that is what MacDonald's pays here. Also, you would be housing and feeding him. Let me warn you about young men and their appetites'. If he proves to be a good worker, boost him up. I would be considering what he would be saving for. If for college? Or for girls and car stereos? It will be his money, but if for college, then if it were me, I'd have incentive to reward that.
I guess I’ll head over to the shop now, Zoe is all cleaned up, she ran laps back and forth to the barn while i was loading the feed, and got covered in mud.
Last night she was happy to watch tv with us.
My wife says you certainly don't need 3 of those to keep you warm, that 1 will do.
This my fourth dog, so I know the drill. My almost 13 year old dog is having real trouble pooping. He squats but hardly anything comes out. Only squirts and maybe a large marble size turd comes out and they are a bit bloody. He drinks plenty of water and pees fine. Took him to the vet and the Dx is tumors. Not unexepected, but bad news anyway. Left with some Prednisone and Tramadol, and some canned soft food. He takes the meds okay and does eat a bit. How much time? Not sure, but I'll make him as happy as I can for the time he/we have left .
Sorry for your pup. Still sad, even having gone through it. We know you love him.

I think back of the dog's I've owned, and while different, I can't easily say which was my favorite. I loved them all for their individualistic traits.

Today was busy. I'm getting closer, but still having problems bringing a cnc Lincoln Torchmate 4x4 plasma table "back from the dead". It is a 2015 model, and hasn't been used since before Covid. Support has led me down some rabbit trails, but I finally was "reached out to" by the head of support after a rather cheeky email I sent the company. This guy knows what he's doing. There aren't many "plasma repairmen" out there. I guess I'll be one of them, if I can get it going. On another note, I got to give presentations to 2 classes. Attentive young people, with good questions.

rs, you would probably be more qualified to adjust your valves, than the kid they hand it to. just saying...

Prayers for our team, our nation, Israel, and Ukraine.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,027  
It was a foggy morning this morning as we pulled into Galveston port, last pic is the pilot boat dropping off the port pilot below our cabin, we were on the 10th floor.
I have resisted the cruise ship trips so far. On one hand it should be relaxing. On the other hand who could relax on that ship in the middle of nowhere?

Glad you had a good trip!

/ Good morning!!!! #187,028  
Should have said I elected to pay extra for the pics of the eye, not that I had to. The pictures were really cool to look at, up close view of the blood vessels in the eye, etc. She said everything looked really good. She said the pictures are much better than what she can tell by dilating and looking, but insurance doesn't cover it.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,029  
Two_bit my BIL uses a marinate overnight before cooking tri tip.
Does he tell you what kind of marinade? I used mainly Galalee Green olive oil and some kikkoman's soy sause. I let the meat come up to room temp befor going in the broiler.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,030  
Good Morning in the evening. It's been Mostly cloudy and calm here and temp in the low 70'sF.

I got in last night about 11pm after a quick hamburger at Whataburger (6am-10pm at the polling place and turning in equpt., etc) from the polling place and hit my recliner to take/make some calls and look up election returns. I was tired and fell asleep almost immediately. Woke up at 2am with a dozen missed calls and still sleepy so hit the bed and slept until 11am. Had a video conference at 1pm and that lasted 2 hours.

Will probably turn in early tonight and rest up for the upcoming several days.

My son is healing exponentially fast. He went to school today with a very light back pack. Tonight, he was active and even playing a little ping pong (I was keeping an eye on him). Coach told him no heating pads. I would say his arm movement is now 75-80% I am still cautious about it because of the reasons Newbury explained so well. His pain is receding and he is not taking any ibuprofen. At this rate, it seems he might be good to go at the end of the week. So thank you again for all the prayers.
Glad to hear that Klye!
Son called finally and he is safe in hospital. Wife had a hard time coping but hopefully she will be relaxing now.
Glad to hear that, for both of them!
My family switched to photon email service, with end to end encryption. Trying to get away from google snooping on everything.
Im really interested in how you like that. I might want to change over.
"He is an outstanding Algebra student. He works hard and is always courteous and respectful. He is a great example of the BEST at our school! I feel lucky to be his math teacher and I can't wait to see what great things he will accomplish in his future."

And he got a coupon for a free ice cream at Dairy Queen. (now, if only we could get him to act that well at home) :) Maybe I need to offer him some ice cream. LOL.
That is really great! Congratulations!
How much time? Not sure, but I'll make him as happy as I can for the time he/we have left .
My sympayhies. Sometimes it's allyou can do. Hope it's relatively pain free for him.

Everyone have a great evening and a great tomorrow!